Nickm1002

RFE for proof of divorce (help)

33 posts in this topic

Hello, just got an RFE for proof of legal termination of marriage.

She lives in Texas and her divorce degree is 37 pages long.

We sent in page 1 where it says

AGREED FINAL DECREE OF DIVORCE.

Page 35 where it says her name change

And finally page 36 signed by the judge.

Obviously this wasn't enough.

So are we supposed to copy all 37 pages and send it all in? Or is there another document we are supposed to get.. 

I heard there is a way to get a page with a stamp somehow for $20.. the divorce was in Harris County Texas could anyone help me with finding that.. I just don't wanna send the wrong thing and kinda confused on what we actually need.

Thank you very much!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Don't you have a divorce certificate? You can request one. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

1 hour ago, Crazy Cat said:

Send the entire divorce decree.  What did the RFE ask for?  A wise person would send EXACTLY what they requested.

It asked specifically for Proof of legal termination of marriage.

Examples :

A final (absolute) divorce degree

death certificzte

annulment, etc.

I just am unsure if what we have the 37 page thing is considering an "absolute" divorce degree.. it's a divorce degree but just not sure exactly what is needed.

I've heard on here before that you can get like a 1 page document for $20 that has a raised stamp and signed by Judge or something but I'm not 100% what that is or if it actually is what they want.

If I could find out what that is I would get it and send it in along with the 37 pages just to be extra safe

Anyone who can give more info on that would be great or with past experience with texas divorce and what to get etc

Thank you

Timeline
7 hours ago, Nickm1002 said:

It asked specifically for Proof of legal termination of marriage.

Examples :

A final (absolute) divorce degree

death certificzte

annulment, etc.

I just am unsure if what we have the 37 page thing is considering an "absolute" divorce degree.. it's a divorce degree but just not sure exactly what is needed.

I've heard on here before that you can get like a 1 page document for $20 that has a raised stamp and signed by Judge or something but I'm not 100% what that is or if it actually is what they want.

If I could find out what that is I would get it and send it in along with the 37 pages just to be extra safe

Anyone who can give more info on that would be great or with past experience with texas divorce and what to get etc

Thank you

Hello, they want the divorce decree that is filed at court.

In Utah for example, there is an official document you can get from the vital records office with stamp from court (for older divorces)
Or, you can go directly to court, the clerk's office and get an official stamped copy of the whole divorce decree, that says "filed".

The divorce decree is final when it is filed at court, the stamp from the judge is not enough, it must be filed to be considered as "absolute".
The filing date is the official date of the divorce.

We were afraid to get an RFE and sent this official document while waiting for NOA2.

Hope this helps :)

Am divorced in Harris County.  We do not have Divorce Certificate here. You will have to send the whole Decree including the last page where it says Certified Copy.  Written across the left side, it will have the  Certified Document Number and Total Number of Pages.  You can request 1 digital certified copy at https://www.hcdistrictclerk.com/edocs/public/search.aspx  (you instantly get it for download (or email I forgot))

image.thumb.png.a6fe74cea6a9b595e25cb2f332528389.png

Hope this helps!

11 hours ago, powerpuff said:

They always want the entire divorce decrees, however many pages it may be.

Oooo  I'm glad i seen this from you, because i only sent an certified stamp copy of mines from County department of records.

Edited by Gary Rich

Timeline
24 minutes ago, Gary Rich said:

Oooo  I'm glad i seen this from you, because i only sent an certified stamp copy of mines from County department of records.

The original stamped divorce certificate from vital records should be fine, it is an official document and proof with date of divorce, names, registration date and court stamp, file number. (that is what it looks like in Utah)

The certificate does not contain the full information of the decree, but it is official, but not all states have this.

Example, Texas does not have it, in that case you send the full divorce decree, stamped by court with registration and file date. 

1 hour ago, hunny&me said:

Am divorced in Harris County.  We do not have Divorce Certificate here. You will have to send the whole Decree including the last page where it says Certified Copy.  Written across the left side, it will have the  Certified Document Number and Total Number of Pages.  You can request 1 digital certified copy at https://www.hcdistrictclerk.com/edocs/public/search.aspx  (you instantly get it for download (or email I forgot))

image.thumb.png.a6fe74cea6a9b595e25cb2f332528389.png

Hope this helps!

I am in Dallas County, same thing done here

10 hours ago, Timona said:

Don't you have a divorce certificate? You can request one. 

Never heard of them for Texas.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
52 minutes ago, Palawan said:

I am in Dallas County, same thing done here

Never heard of them for Texas.  

Then I don't know. I thought Texas gave one.

https://www.thelarsonlawoffice.com/texas-divorce-records/#:~:text=Divorce Certificate,-A divorce certificate&text=Divorce certificates are the most,can see a divorce certificate.

Edited by Timona

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, Timona said:

Don't see an option for a certificate, just a verification letter and that isn't certified.  It refers back to the official divorce decree.  

image.png.4660e0f680c9ee60288b8f33ba1078b3.png

https://www.dshs.texas.gov/vs/doc/marr-div-verification-wedding.pdf

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Good rule of thumb for USCIS/immigration matters is to always send every page of a document to avoid things like that.

As others have already said, respond to the RFE by sending the entire 37 page divorce decree. 

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I sent in the entire decree as others have said (I submitted a paper copy during AOS and then again uploaded it online during N400 application). They actually looked through it prior to my N400 interview and asked me during the interview about the child maintenance payment. 

Lover and hubby to 1, Daddy to 2. I do enjoy growing older but not growing up.

A filthy, dirty oilfield engineer.

N400 through marriage to another filthy dirty oilfield engineer.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The divorce decree has "FILED" in front of it. The first two pages are usually the Judgement where all information as regards the Divorce are stated and the day such divorce was finalised. The last pages contain both ex spouse's signature, the attorneys representing both parties too. These are basically the pages needed.

My wife's divorce decree is 60+ pages and i only sent the relevant pages, like 6 pages in total and got approved, no problem. 

Since you're in this rfe spot already, i would just scan the entire decree to be safe rather than sorry but i assure you, no one has the time in the world to read through a 37 pages of a divorce decree, they just want the relevant pages. If you can't really tell, then just send everything.

Just so you know, depending on what you have, both decree and certificate are tenable, one is just a shorter version(certificate) than the other. 

goodluck

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.