15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hi, I am in the middle of filing for a divorce and my husband has been charged with endangering the welfare of my child and is now pending trial.  Child Protective Services did an investigation and the report was indicated against him for inadequate guardianship and sexual abuse.  This is the state of New York.  His conditional 2 year green card expired in 2021 and he was given the 2 year extension. Our divorce is not final I just had him served 2 weeks ago.  I am doing everything possible to cut ties with him and wanting to know what my next steps should be with USCIS.

~~ Topic moved from Removal of Conditions on Residency to Effects of Major Family Changes where similar topics are discussed ~~

I’m sorry to hear about your situation.

You cannot withdraw that petition, that is your husband’s petition and it is solely in his hands. There are no next steps for the spouse of the immigrant in regards to USCIS.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Assuming he has not been granted removal of conditions then certainly I can see he has a number of issues but they do not involve you.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I agree with @Pinkrlion, send a copy of the CPS letter detailing the abuse to USCIS, along with his case number. 

Apart from that, if he ever tries to apply for naturalization, USCIS will uncover his criminal records.

Timeline

He has been charged not convicted

It could be a felony or a misdemeanor.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

You can’t withdraw the petition but can withdraw your support by writing a letter. Essentially you are telling USCIS you don’t want any part of this. Then they will send your spouse Letter of intent to deny and then eventual denial.  

However, he can still have the conditions removed using i-751 divorce wavier BUT if he gets convicted of the sexual crimes you mention, that’s a deportable offense. Suffice to say it’s a very difficult road ahead of him.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
1 hour ago, EA and MK said:

Why is the USC sponsor even needing to involve USCIS? Why does she even need to get in the middle of his immigration issues? He will have to deal with ramifications alone; she should stay out of it and just focus on staying safe as well as

keep her kids safe. 

She is a joint filer on his I-751, she is required to report that they are no longer together otherwise it is immigration fraud to acquire immigration benefits based upon a lie.  IE. Still living together and married, when you know you are not livign together and filed for divorce.   

Edited by Pinkrlion

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

On 7/27/2022 at 12:32 PM, Pinkrlion said:

She is a joint filer on his I-751, she is required to report that they are no longer together otherwise it is immigration fraud to acquire immigration benefits based upon a lie.  IE. Still living together and married, when you know you are not livign together and filed for divorce.   

There is no law that requires what you mention here. The responsibility is on the Beneficiary to inform once their divorce completes before i751 approval. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
On 7/27/2022 at 1:32 PM, Pinkrlion said:

Link to the law?

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

• 4 months later...

~~ Duplicate thread removed. Please keep all related discussion in one thread per TOS. It also helps others to see all info in one place and provide better answers ~~

4 minutes ago, Jenny17655 said:

OK guys here's a little update since its been a few years.  I brought my ex husband over here on a K1 visa we married did all the proper filing etc.  He received 2 year green card which probably expired 2 years ago but was given the 2 year extension for covid which also expired or will very soon.  Right as he received the extension we split up.  Shortly after he moved out of the home my daughter revealed in school that he had been inappropriate with her for the last 2 years!.  She presented evidence and he was arrested.  This was in March of 2022 that he was arrested.  CPS in NY conducted an investigation and it was substantiated.  His criminal trial is still pending.  The charge is a misdemeanor Endangering the welfare of a child and the CPS reports inadequate guardianship and sexual abuse.  I reported this to the USCIS tip line with no response.  I filed for divorce and moved far away.  The divorce is final.  The man has tried many attempts to retaliate now trying to seek an order of protection against me to make it look like I brought him here to abuse him.  Just wondering what's going to happen once that extension expires.

Timeline

If he filed to remove conditions on the basis of being married he would either needed to have converted that to a divorce waiver or re filed. He could of course have done nothing, there is no way you would or could know.

Your obligation under the I 864 continues 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.