Tracker

Entering US first time without petitioner

28 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi, I hope someone here can answer this for me. My visa was approved about a month ago and the category is F2A- child of LPR.

Is it necessary for the petitioner (my dad) to enter the US before or at the same time as me? He's in our home country right now.

Or can I enter the US without him while he's in India. He has some things that came up at the moment and not able to travel right away.

During my visa interview - the visa officer specifically asked questions about his domicile and I had proof with me about intent to re-establish it and he accepted. So I'm thinking they'll probably have notes of that when I'm entering the country as well and it could cause an issue if I try to enter without him.

can someone please offer some insight?

would it cause an issue if i enter without him?

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
1 hour ago, Tracker said:

So I'm thinking they'll probably have notes of that when I'm entering the country as well and it could cause an issue if I try to enter without him

Yes they will have notes about your dad's intent to domicile and that will be the first question they'll ask "where's your petitioner?". Travel together or after your dad.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
1 hour ago, Dashinka said:

I agree with @nastra30.  The F2A is similar to the IR1/IR2 which requires the petitioner to enter the US prior to or at the same time as the visa holder especially when the petitioner is repatriating.  I seem to remember a story where a USC and their immigrating spouse were coming to the US, but using different routes and the immigrating spouse arrived ahead of the USC spouse due to some route delays.  I believe there was an extended detention at the POE until the USC arrived (I may not be remembering this correctly).

Safest thing to do is wait for your father to finish up their business and come to the US together on the same flight.

Good Luck!

Yes,  the spouse had gone over for the interview with a round trip ticket

and when the visa was issued they bought a ticket and flight was different route and the immigrant got here first

OP 

you have to use the visa within 6 months of the medical and u can wait for him

but be aware when u fly out to not do it at the last minute

weather interrupts flights and you need to be here in the US before the expiration date

Timeline
6 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

It is always a requirement that the petitioner enter with or before the beneficiary. In your case they clearly had questions about your dad’s actual domicile (implying more than just “some things that came up at the moment”), making me think that if you try to enter first they might actually re-look at the entire case (notify embassy to do so) rather than just telling you to go back and return with him. Conceivably as a consequence, this may also raise questions about your dad’s actual LPR status too. (In other words, they might figure that the only intention of your dad getting a green card was to get you in and he never intended to actually permanently live in the US.) Sounds like skating on thin ice to me.

okay, this is helpful information. will it be okay for me to travel outside of the country though? I'm planning on visiting my sister in Canada and my father won't be accompanying me there. will it be an issue trying to enter back into the US with the temporary green card stamp in my passport?

5 minutes ago, Tracker said:

will it be an issue trying to enter back into the US with the temporary green card stamp in my passport?

Is your father going to travel with you when you first enter the US with your immigrant visa?  You cannot legally get a temporary I-551 stamp in your passport in the first place without your father moving back to the US with or before you.

Timeline
Just now, Chancy said:

Is your father going to travel with you when you first enter the US with your immigrant visa?  You cannot legally get a temporary I-551 stamp in your passport in the first place without your father moving back to the US with or before you.

he will be accompanying me when i first enter. but i plan on travelling to canada after that..for which he won't be accompanying me. 

so will it be an issue trying to enter back without him?

or they'll consider my case individually from that point on 

Just now, Tracker said:

he will be accompanying me when i first enter. but i plan on travelling to canada after that..for which he won't be accompanying me.

Only the first US entry matters, as far as your father accompanying you is concerned.  After that, you may leave and re-enter using your temporary I-551 stamp, without your father travelling with you.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Chancy said:

Only the first US entry matters, as far as your father accompanying you is concerned.  After that, you may leave and re-enter using your temporary I-551 stamp, without your father travelling with you.

okay that sounds good. i was wondering if they'd still ask proof and stuff about his domicile. will it matter if he travels outside of the US during this time? when i enter again after visiting canada

Edited by Tracker

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.