Jordanian Bride

Why does the US hate AOS from tourist visas?

104 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline
Just now, Boiler said:

Just a box to tick, not a lot of difference adjust from a K than the VWP as far as they are concerned.

Right, it was just the implications from others members of dishonesty that compelled me to post. I know it happens, but it's not a blanket activity either.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
Just now, shaolincrane said:

Right, it was just the implications from others members of dishonesty that compelled me to post. I know it happens, but it's not a blanket activity either.

Well your situation was very unusual.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/23/2022 at 4:32 PM, Jordanian Bride said:

Hey guys, don't jump on the hate train! We're not planning to do that, and can't anyway.

I've been studying the immigration process very closely ever see we embarked on this journey, and I don't get it from a US point of view. If you adjust status, then you qualify for a green card, and your visa bulletin is current. It's not like you are adjusting status despite an ineligibility to do so. What kind of problems, possibly security or workload related does it create for USCIS for aliens to adjust status from a tourist visa?

I am not looking for an answer like "Well, it wouldn't be fair to the immigrants who went through consular processing." I know it isn't fair, but USCIS doesn't care about how we feel, so what's the actual reason?

I Adjusted my status from tourism visa after got married and I was lucky got approved in 4 months. It all depends, If you are not in USA and come with this intend its not good . I did not plan it but Covid happened while vising my husband originally for 1 month and he proposed to me and did not want to be separated. We got married during my 6 month stay permitted and I was never asked any questions about it. 

Edited by bradoony

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
On 5/23/2022 at 4:00 PM, JeanneAdil said:
  • Because it bypasses the entire system of security checks in the home country that is done there by the embassy
  • and USCIS has to do it from here which ties up the federal system(s) that have to search for answer(s) and security checks from foreign governments 

Doing this involves several branches of the federal government

for one a tourist does not have to provide a criminal report and medical exam so all the paperwork that would have been done from homeland now has to be done from here and is much harder to do especially from governments that are poor record keepers 

With regards to security checks, ESTÁ is no different from those who come into the US via a L1. I was able to get my L1 within 2 -3 weeks over a Christmas break since my company hold a blanket I-129. No police records to be submitted, no finger prints taken, no medical asked for, no questions about my immigrant intent (L1 being a dual intent visa and I’m married to a US citizen) - I didn’t do AOS until 3 years later. 

Lover and hubby to 1, Daddy to 2. I do enjoy growing older but not growing up.

A filthy, dirty oilfield engineer.

N400 through marriage to another filthy dirty oilfield engineer.

13 hours ago, STO Overland said:

With regards to security checks, ESTÁ is no different from those who come into the US via a L1. I was able to get my L1 within 2 -3 weeks over a Christmas break since my company hold a blanket I-129. No police records to be submitted, no finger prints taken, no medical asked for, no questions about my immigrant intent (L1 being a dual intent visa and I’m married to a US citizen) - I didn’t do AOS until 3 years later. 

https://www.nnuimmigration.com/l1-visa-document-checklist/

Looking at the process for obtaining an L1 visa. The company has to do a lot of work behind the scenes... 

Plus you are going to the US to work and help the US economy. 

Very different to someone on ESTA or a tourist visa entering the US with intent to adjust. 

I believe F1 visa holders do not have to provide PCCs... 

Comparing adjusting on L1 or F1 is a completely different conversation to adjusting on B1/B2 or ESTA. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
9 minutes ago, ROK2USA said:

https://www.nnuimmigration.com/l1-visa-document-checklist/

Looking at the process for obtaining an L1 visa. The company has to do a lot of work behind the scenes... 

Plus you are going to the US to work and help the US economy. 

Very different to someone on ESTA or a tourist visa entering the US with intent to adjust. 

I believe F1 visa holders do not have to provide PCCs... 

Comparing adjusting on L1 or F1 is a completely different conversation to adjusting on B1/B2 or ESTA. 

Please read what I quoted, which was in regards to lack of ESTA security checks being the reason why USCIS “hates” AOS from ESTA.. Nothing more, nothing less.

a blanket I-129 is only given to Companies whom the US government trusts in regards to US visas. 

Edited by STO Overland

Lover and hubby to 1, Daddy to 2. I do enjoy growing older but not growing up.

A filthy, dirty oilfield engineer.

N400 through marriage to another filthy dirty oilfield engineer.

• 5 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
On 6/28/2022 at 8:12 PM, Jess A said:

It is not VJ itself. It is a group of senior members. My humble opinion again. 

I agree with you 100%, there is a lot of bad advice from certain regulars here, who are rude and condescending. It’s not even worth going into detail with them, as they are stuck in their ways.

You can AOS from a B2 by seeking asylum, that’s one way. Ukrainians, Russians are all seeking asylum and I know several doing this. VJ will tell you that you’re a vile evil person, but they’re just ignorant.

• 4 weeks later...

When you arrive on any tourist visa you're expected to be there for tourism, no matter what happens. If you're plans changed go back to your legal place of residence and start the paperwork there.

I really do wish they would stop allowing AOS from anyone that arrives via a tourist visa.

It makes lives difficult for people like my wife who is married to a US citizen that just wants to visit family in the states just because of the massive amount of liars that enter via a tourist visa to adjust status.

AOS/TPS/EAD obstacles with my non-US spouse

Ramos v. Nielsen happens
Late 2019 we decide to leave the USA for good because it wasn't worth it for us to stay in the USA in limbo.
US Immigration is interesting which is why I'm still here

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
4 hours ago, speedster said:

When you arrive on any tourist visa you're expected to be there for tourism, no matter what happens. If you're plans changed go back to your legal place of residence and start the paperwork there.

I really do wish they would stop allowing AOS from anyone that arrives via a tourist visa.

It makes lives difficult for people like my wife who is married to a US citizen that just wants to visit family in the states just because of the massive amount of liars that enter via a tourist visa to adjust status.

I agree, it shouldn't be an option at all. That way US citizens' spouses could easily get tourist visas, and then go back to their own countries without being told to get a green card (which in such cases, they would abandon!).

• 1 month later...
On 5/23/2022 at 1:59 PM, Jordanian Bride said:

Guys, y'all are not reading the post. I am not protesting and whining that we want to adjust status on a tourist visa. I come from a high visa fraud country, and I hate that we created that reputation for ourselves.

That being said, I am trying to discuss why it is unethical in the eyes of the law, and if there are security and other concerns I am overlooking. I know we have a strict policy against visa fraud, and I don't see how I am going against that? This is a discussion about USCIS concerns.

My fiance and I are just about ready to file for the K-1 this coming week. We're just wanting to make sure this would be the fastest route to be together.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
2 minutes ago, alexhensen987 said:

My fiance and I are just about ready to file for the K-1 this coming week. We're just wanting to make sure this would be the fastest route to be together.

It is not, but entering the US with the goal of adjusting status is fraud. I would suggest the spousal visa. The I-129F has an increasing backlog of 0.5 month each month.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
1 hour ago, alexhensen987 said:

We're just wanting to make sure this would be the fastest route to be together.

It's indeed fraud.  Avoid even thinking about it.

Now, the beneficiary can enter the U.S. on a tourist visa, marry the petitioner, and leave the U.S.  The petitioner would then file the I-130 petition, the approval of which enables the beneficiary to apply for a CR-1 visa.  The CR-1 is superior to the K-1 in several ways, and the process for both takes approximately the same time.

1 hour ago, alexhensen987 said:

ready to file for the K-1

A gentle correction, because precise terminology is important:  you're about to "file the I-129F petition, which, when approved, would enable the beneficiary to apply for a K-1 visa."  :) 

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 2 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 5/23/2022 at 5:06 PM, Jordanian Bride said:

Thank you, you're the first to answer my question without preaching to the converted!

But I always thought, even if so, don't the immigrants adjusting status have to provide criminal report from their home country (and any other country they have resided in aged 16+)?

Doing AOS. And YES I had to provide criminal report from my home country. And If I had lived anywhere else, I would've had to provide it as well. I had my medical exam in the US and Biometrics in the US. 

Edited by Isa Olano
Forgot words

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.