Shelldb

Detained at Customs

170 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

Another very common situation where luggage goes through customs and is transferred by the airline is when the luggage was delayed on one of the previous flights of the journey.  Lost and found was a great job in college. 

This - me making a connection but my baggage not - has happened to me a number of times when I flew internationally, including twice when I landed in the US. Both these times (different cities and different airlines) the airline delivered the baggage to wherever I was staying, and there was a note inside from customs to say it had been opened and inspected.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

And why would CBP call, that is an Airline thing.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Just now, Boiler said:

They wouldn’t call about luggage.   They have been known to call US contacts of intending travelers being detained or removed.

Just now, Boiler said:

Oh - I can totally understand why CBP would call about missing  baggage for a detained individual coming on an international flight - because it implies they haven’t had a chance to inspect it, at least not in the hands of the person who brought it in. They might be wondering if they needed to know what was in the bag. 

42 minutes ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

Hi,

Just out of curiosity, did CBP use your fiance's phone to call you?  Or did they call from a different number and you called the Chicago O'Hare CBP number: (773) 686-7066 ?

EDIT:  The above is for Global Entry enrollment.  The main contact number for International Arrivals is  (773) 686-2800

Great point.   CBP would absolutely use their airport phone to call on official business.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Boiler said:

watching youtube about border and security about different countries ,  it seems they call when the person is coming on a tourist visa and ask the person (in this case fiancee)   if they are suspecting someone to arrive 

and if border patrol thinks the person is planning to work without the proper visa ,  they call a "suspected employer" to ask if the person is expected to start or return to a job 

how do they know a person is coming with fraudulent immigrant intent?  the person brings documents like work history,   birth certificate,  job info, no money to live on,  etc

and they all allow the immigrant to call lawyer or family (1 call) to say they are being arrested if that is the case

1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

Have you ever transferred flights after landing internationally? How did your luggage make the connection? There’s no pixie dust at the airport.

Still waiting for OP to clarify if she got the baggage.

We have no idea where his luggage is. 

1 hour ago, Boiler said:

I certainly remember cases where the beneficiary has entered and disappeared.

Multiple calls is also odd, but seems a stretch to assume an elaborate ploy. I am as cynical as the best of them but that sounds a strectch.

FOIA well that would be something for him to seek, not sure she can.

But then he was there and knows what happened, how it went down.

And all that would be if they wish to look at US Immigration again, seems a lot of issues to address first.

That was my first thought. When I checked with the ticketing agent and was told he never boarded his flight out of Chicago. 

9 minutes ago, Shelldb said:

Done! Thx

No point.   He’s being removed/deported.   The Nigerian consulate has zero say in the matter.

3 minutes ago, Shelldb said:

CBP called using the airport phone. 

3625D5D9-8547-47D3-AF4C-739438560CD3.jpeg

So they did call you on the 19th. (I was misled from your first post late on the 20th saying it was after hours and too late to call your congressperson? Did you not call them during the day on the 20th?) anyway that’s one puzzle cleared up, there wasn’t actually a missing day.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.