AHXIII

I-751 interview not waived after submitting strong evidence - need to worry?

56 posts in this topic

Hi friends,

My timelines: 

April 25, 2022 Interview Was Scheduled
January 19, 2022 We are ready to schedule your Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, for an interview.
November 29, 2021 We transferred your Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, to another USCIS office that now has jurisdiction over your case.
November 24, 2021 Your Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, was transferred to another office for processing.
October 28, 2021 We received your Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence.

We submitted very strong evidence: more than 0.5M mortgage, joint bank statements, utility bills, insurance cards, photos, emergency contacts, etc. However, the interview was still not waived, nor did they send RFE.

Anyone has similar experiences?

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

We filed in March 2019.....no RFEs......Still waiting for interview....our case was extremely strong.  Nothing says they absolutely will waive all strong cases. 

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

USCIS is under no obligation to waive your interview. they assess your application, and probably determined that they did not find your evidence sufficient to waive.

see https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-6-part-i-chapter-3

USCIS officers may consider waiving the interview in cases where:

• The officer considers they can make a decision on the petition based on the record because the record contains sufficient evidence about the bona fides of the marriage and that the marriage was not entered into for the purpose of evading the immigration laws of the United States;
  • There is sufficient evidence in the record of the CPR’s eligibility for waiver of the joint filing requirement, if applicable;
  • There is no indication of fraud or misrepresentation on the Form I-751, in the supporting documentation, or elsewhere in the record;
  • There are no complex facts or issues that require an interview or sworn statement to resolve questions or concerns; and
  • There are no criminal bars rendering the CPR removable.

When determining whether to waive an interview, the considerations listed above apply regardless of whether the Form I-751 is filed as a joint petition, individual filing request, or a waiver. For a joint petition, the statute requires USCIS to interview both the CPR and petitioning spouse.[3] If the CPR is filing an individual filing request or waiver, only the CPR must appear for the interview.[4]

Edited by S9471

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

I think this is the first October 2021 case to have an interview or decision. Congratulations! I envy you.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
4 minutes ago, AHXIII said:

lol really? Looks like it is taking a very long time for USCIS. However, they did not waive my interview...I am anxious... 

yeah. Really. 

Join us.  Give us hope. 

We are also a strong and totally legit couple who applied for ROC 17 months ago. We were also told we are getting an interview and we have no clue why. Everything is financially co-mingled with lots of proof of living together and all of that. I just try to remind myself is that we are completely legitimate couple and any IO would see that, as we have nothing at all to hide. If you are in the same position, I wouldn't really worry about it. I'm more-so annoyed I need to take a day off of work in the future lol. 

I'm going under the assumption that they randomly select people to get interviewed. Maybe? We'll see....

Edited by Sarah&Facundo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
1 hour ago, Crazy Cat said:

We filed in March 2019.....no RFEs......Still waiting for interview....our case was extremely strong.  Nothing says they absolutely will waive all strong cases. 

I'm curious, is there anything you can do to jog their memory that your application is out there? File N400 for eg.

Lover and hubby to 1, Daddy to 2. I do enjoy growing older but not growing up.

A filthy, dirty oilfield engineer.

N400 through marriage to another filthy dirty oilfield engineer.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Even tho they can and often will waive ROC interviews they do also randomly select to have people come in for interviews even if the sent evidence is strong. There is nothing to worry about per se. See it as a chance to go over the application with them and correct possible mistakes. 

I had my AOS interview when many got waived during Covid. Glad I had it otherwise my name would be wrong on the Greencard 😊

Normally (not always***) folk get interviewed for one or the other: AOS/I-751. Some may get waived/interviewed for both but ultimately all down to USCIS. I got interviewed for AOS per mandatory requirement pre covid for K1 applicant but did not need interview for I-751 as it got waived and approved. Good luck ☺️

Edited by Vegas i-751

Filed: Timeline
5 hours ago, Sarah&Facundo said:

We are also a strong and totally legit couple who applied for ROC 17 months ago. We were also told we are getting an interview and we have no clue why. Everything is financially co-mingled with lots of proof of living together and all of that. I just try to remind myself is that we are completely legitimate couple and any IO would see that, as we have nothing at all to hide. If you are in the same position, I wouldn't really worry about it. I'm more-so annoyed I need to take a day off of work in the future lol. 

I'm going under the assumption that they randomly select people to get interviewed. Maybe? We'll see....

IT also depends on the IO person reviewing your docs. Maybe IO person1 cares to have an interview whereas IO persons 2-10 do not. Probably luck of the draw but yeah as long as you are legit, no need to worry as you said.

N-400

04-13-2022: Applied online; case received

04-15-2022: Biometric reused; case being actively reviewed

12-09-2022: Interview scheduled for 01-20-2023

01-20-2023: Recommended for approval, Oath Ceremony Will Be Scheduled

01-23-2023: Oath ceremony scheduled for 02-16-2023

02-16-2023: Oath taken, naturalized, journey OVER!!

RoC

04-14-2021: Package mailed

04-16-2021: Package delivered

05-04-2021: Text received (LIN)

05-05-2021: Check cashed

05-07-2021: I-797 received , GC extended by 18 months

05-28-2021: Biometrics waived -|- Case updated to Fingerprints taken
06-04-2021: Biometrics letter received (dated 05-28-2021)

05-10-2022: New card being produced

05-11-2022: Case approved

05-12-2022: Card mailed

05-16-2022: Card received; also received approval notice letter

Marriage based AoS
07-14-2018: Priority date
07-31-2018: Biometric review complete
07-31-2018: RFIE (I-864 related)
11-29-2018: Case ready for interview; EAD card being produced
06-04-2019: Interview scheduled
07-11-2019: Interview; new card being produced

07-18-2019: Card delivered

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.