trixxi

Is it good to include sending each other money as evidence?

36 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Hungary
Timeline

We haven't filed K1 yet because my boyfriend lost his job and we were thinking we'd wait until he finds a new job so we could prove that he could financially support me. There were a couple of times when I sent him a bit of money to help him out (he had technical issues getting his unemployment) so my question is that when we submit evidence, would it be helpful to include that, since it would show that we're in a real relationship, or would it shed a negative light on him? Obviously we want to gather as much evidence as we can but I don't know if that would help us or not. I don't know how normal that is. Maybe I'm overthinking :) Hope that makes sense.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belarus
Timeline
14 minutes ago, trixxi said:

We haven't filed K1 yet because my boyfriend lost his job and we were thinking we'd wait until he finds a new job so we could prove that he could financially support me. There were a couple of times when I sent him a bit of money to help him out (he had technical issues getting his unemployment) so my question is that when we submit evidence, would it be helpful to include that, since it would show that we're in a real relationship, or would it shed a negative light on him? Obviously we want to gather as much evidence as we can but I don't know if that would help us or not. I don't know how normal that is. Maybe I'm overthinking :) Hope that makes sense.

Sending money is okay evidence but I don't think terribly strong. If you have things like photos, travel receipts, passport stamps, itineraries, etc., those are far better imho. Proving you guys were actually together is more useful (you have to have met within two years, anyway!). I liken 'sending money' to sending love letters or whatnot, fine evidence but fairly low on the totem pole (I never understood why people think a phonebook of call/chat logs is helpful).

In any case, you need not worry about your boyfriend finding a new job before filing I-129F. Nothing is required of his employment until your interview, which will be in a year and a half from now if you were to file today. So long as he has a job by then, you guys would be completely fine. I recognize I-129F asks about work but that's irrelevant right now to his ability to support you later on.

Good luck!

Edited by slavaskii

K-1 Visa Process: Complete 

I-129F Sent: 03/16/2021

I-129F Picked Up from Dallas Lockbox: 03/18/2021

NOA1: Received 03/17/2021 (backdated); notice date 04/08/2021

NOA2: 2/18/22 

NVC Received: 03/08/2022

NVC Case Number: 03/17/2022

Interview: 06/06/2022 —> Approved!

Wedding: 08/02/2022 🥳

AOS Process: Complete 

I-435/I-765/I-131 Sent: 08/09/2022

I-435/I-765/I-131 Picked up from Chicago PO Box: 08/10/2022

Priority Date: 08/10/2022 (NBC)

I-864 RFE: 08/25/2022

Biometrics: 09/08/2022 

Active Reviews: 09/08/2022 (EAD), 09/09/2022 (AOS)

RFE Response Sent: 09/15/2022

EAD / AP Approval: 06/06/2023 (approval notice in portal, no status update)

I-485 Approval: 04/19/2024 🥳

Timeline

We met in person twice so far, spent thanksgiving with his family, met his friends, so we have photos that we can submit. He's also planning on visiting me to meet my family and stuff, as soon as he has the funds. I was thinking of 'sending money' as a bonus.

I guess I just wanna be extra safe.

I had no idea that not having a job is not an issue, that's good to know!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belarus
Timeline
39 minutes ago, trixxi said:

We met in person twice so far, spent thanksgiving with his family, met his friends, so we have photos that we can submit. He's also planning on visiting me to meet my family and stuff, as soon as he has the funds. I was thinking of 'sending money' as a bonus.

I guess I just wanna be extra safe.

I had no idea that not having a job is not an issue, that's good to know!

That sounds good, then, photos with family is always a plus. Ensure you mention who is in the photos and when you took them. I always recommend writing an additional letter 'detailing'/outlining your relationship, as that guides the officer who otherwise has to piece through your evidence and discern why certain things were included. Helpful as well for people that have been together over 2 years or perhaps have multiple trips.

And correct, the only time his finances become an issue is at the interview stage where you have to present his I-134 Affidavit of Support. Until then, his employment history is essentially just 'background.' Because of the delays in I-129F adjudication, you may wish to consider sending things sooner rather than later, or, as I'm sure some others will later recommend, just filing for IR1/CR1 spousal. 

K-1 Visa Process: Complete 

I-129F Sent: 03/16/2021

I-129F Picked Up from Dallas Lockbox: 03/18/2021

NOA1: Received 03/17/2021 (backdated); notice date 04/08/2021

NOA2: 2/18/22 

NVC Received: 03/08/2022

NVC Case Number: 03/17/2022

Interview: 06/06/2022 —> Approved!

Wedding: 08/02/2022 🥳

AOS Process: Complete 

I-435/I-765/I-131 Sent: 08/09/2022

I-435/I-765/I-131 Picked up from Chicago PO Box: 08/10/2022

Priority Date: 08/10/2022 (NBC)

I-864 RFE: 08/25/2022

Biometrics: 09/08/2022 

Active Reviews: 09/08/2022 (EAD), 09/09/2022 (AOS)

RFE Response Sent: 09/15/2022

EAD / AP Approval: 06/06/2023 (approval notice in portal, no status update)

I-485 Approval: 04/19/2024 🥳

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
2 hours ago, trixxi said:

since it would show that we're in a real relationship,

It doesn't.  Time spent together shows a real relationship,  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Besides agreeing that this is not good evidence of anything, I have this to add:

The part about financial support comes at the very end during the interview stage which is long time away, 1.5-2 years away. I don’t see why he can’t file now and look for a job meanwhile. 

It really isn't proof you are in a real relationship. I've never once sent my husband money, even when we were dating, and we are very real. Who knows--it could also end up being misconstrued as someone using the USC for money. It really isn't great proof either way. Showing proof of time spent together is what they are looking for.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

And i don't see why a USC can't find a job

everywhere i travel here in the US,  there are signs saying "Help wanted" 

business and factories have ads on TV for needing workers 

as for sending money "looks like one is using the other for financial support and is not a good idea to send this as proof

Timeline
3 hours ago, Mike E said:

It will shed a negative on whether the relationship is bonafide and thus increase the risk of a denial or RFE.  IOW USCIS and/or  the embassy will ask the question if the US citizen is interested in the relationship for love or for money.  

Yeah that's what I was thinking too. Thanks for the reply!

Timeline
2 hours ago, Crazy Cat said:

It doesn't.  Time spent together shows a real relationship,  

Fortunately we have evidence of time spent together. I was just wondering :)

Timeline
38 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

And i don't see why a USC can't find a job

everywhere i travel here in the US,  there are signs saying "Help wanted" 

business and factories have ads on TV for needing workers 

as for sending money "looks like one is using the other for financial support and is not a good idea to send this as proof

It's not that he "can't" find a job, but he wants a job in his line of work so he has to do interviews, challenges, etc, it could take a while. But he has good experience and skills so he'll find a job soon :)

Yeah I thought it could look "suspicious", I was just wondering.

9 minutes ago, trixxi said:

Fortunately we have evidence of time spent together. I was just wondering :)

The best evidence is boarding passes, passport stamps, receipts then photos. I would not mention anything about the money in your petition or subsequent embassy interview. Good luck)

Edited by Carpe Vinum

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

Timeline
32 minutes ago, Carpe Vinum said:

The best evidence is boarding passes, passport stamps, receipts then photos. I would not mention anything about the money in your petition or subsequent embassy interview. Good luck)

I made sure to save those things from my trip, I think it will be enough.

Thank you! :)

1 minute ago, trixxi said:

I made sure to save those things from my trip, I think it will be enough.

Thank you! :)

You will be fine) You are asking the right questions already.

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.