53 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, TYosemite said:

I don’t drive unfortunately so anything to do with car insurance/drivers licenses I cannot get! 

I couldn’t be added until the lease was due for renewal which isn’t until March 31st & our interview is March 1st so that’s no good to us haha 

Honestly I’m thinking I should be okay with what I have now, I did tick off to have USCIS apply for SSN for me so they’ll be aware that I couldn’t get it in time & I have the letter from SSA stating they couldn’t issue it in time as further proof that I at least tried to get one. 
Hoping they’re understanding of the situation at least. 

I’ve had mail from USCIS come to the same address as his bills come to if that counts.

I filed EAD but got my interview before it EAD was even processed.

My husband didn't drive until a few months ago. I was able to add him to my car insurance a long time ago so he was listed, just not as a driver. 

He also had a State ID card in lieu of a driver's license. Both are from the DMV and look almost exactly the same, except the state ID had something that indicated he was a "non-driver."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
5 hours ago, Sarge2155 said:

Depends on the bank for not having a SSN to get an account or added to an account. Most of the big banks you'll have to have an SSN, when we first tried at (B of A)  to get my wife on the account they would not budge! As far as the state ID and license you are correct depends on the state, my state was not one of them.

Bank of America is good to foreigners, and they do not require a SSN. I too got my own acccunt with them before having an SSN, I also got added to my husband's account at the same time (they asked me to come back and update my info once I got an SSN). We even have people in the Scandinavian thread who came to the US as tourists while waiting for their immigrant visas and opened bank accounts with BoA, no SSN, no status and no issues. It's too bad not all of their employees are educated on their own rules. Pretty much all the larger banks can offer you an account without an SSN. 

Edited by Scandi

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

1 hour ago, Scandi said:

Bank of America is good to foreigners, and they do not require a SSN. I too got my own acccunt with them before having an SSN, I also got added to my husband's account at the same time (they asked me to come back and update my info once I got an SSN). We even have people in the Scandinavian thread who came to the US as tourists while waiting for their immigrant visas and opened bank accounts with BoA, no SSN, no status and no issues. It's too bad not all of their employees are educated on their own rules. Pretty much all the larger banks can offer you an account without an SSN. 

Well I'm just informing you what we went through, water under the bridge now!

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

1 hour ago, Scandi said:

I also have a bank account with BoA and opened it while on vacation. 

My husband is the primary account holder and we didn't have to show proof of relationship. 

There should be a sticky or something informing people they can apply for a bank account without a SSN. 

3 hours ago, Kor2USA said:

I also have a bank account with BoA and opened it while on vacation. 

My husband is the primary account holder and we didn't have to show proof of relationship. 

There should be a sticky or something informing people they can apply for a bank account without a SSN. 

No kidding.  I agree.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

cell phones on the same account, gym membership contracts with both names, printout of emergency contact from a doctors office, added as a beneficiary for AD&D can usually be changed at any time. We ran into the same problem with SSN because our offices have been closed forever. We just had out interview today with what I would consider weak additional evidence. The IO was more interested in the when and wheres of our relationship since it was long distance for over five years. We had a pretty unfriendly IO too, but his status just changed a little bit ago to card being produced. We frontloaded the heck out of the  I129F and I485/I765. Good luck and think outside the box, cheers. 

Ok

The good news is,  we had even less than you.  We were in a small town in Alaska,  no SSAN, no job,  no back account,  no insurance  ,No joint accounts, no nothing, not even a lease. 

We brough:

pictures and videos we had made in the prior year, 

Copy of application to add her to my health insurance,  

That's it. 

Officer asked her about our life in Alaska.

He ended with he'd let us know. 

We were approved the next day. 

There is no bad news.  Don't worry. Be open and honest. 

On 2/13/2022 at 6:58 PM, TYosemite said:

Hey guys, I got my notice for my I-485 interview for March 1st & after reading through the recommended evidence for ongoing relationship I started to panic a bit. 

Due to SSA messing me around, I never got my SSN so most things I could never get.

So far aside from photos from our wedding ceremony in California (we had our actual wedding a few months before this at the courthouse to stay within the 90 days)… I’ve been able to be added as an authorized user to my husbands credit card & we have a Sam’s club membership together. 

He’s going to be talking to his work on Monday about a possible loop hole they may have managed to find to get me on his health insurance (it’s not open enrolment) so that’s a possibility! 
Our lease isn’t due for renewal until after the appointment date so I cant be added to that in time to use it as evidence either.

Is there any other ideas you guys have that I could use? Or do you think these things will be enough? 

I did check off for USCIS to apply for SSN for me due to not being able to get one in time, so I’m hoping they’d be understanding that most things require an SSN to be added to (eg bank accounts, car insurance, bills etc) 

Not having a SSN shouldnt stop you from having legit things as evidence. My husband hasn’t even gotten his visa yet and during his visits here we have gotten plenty of evidence gathered (again, with no SSN for him)—auto insurance, joint owner on bank accounts, beneficiaries of accounts, life insurance, several other legal documents that carry even more weight, plenty of social evidence and sharing of all kinds of accounts, etc.. All without him even living here yet.  

It always kind of irks me when people say they can’t gather enough evidence…all it really takes is some genuine thinking and running around 🙈😂

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 minutes ago, blchaddy said:

Not having a SSN shouldnt stop you from having legit things as evidence. My husband hasn’t even gotten his visa yet and during his visits here we have gotten plenty of evidence gathered (again, with no SSN for him)—auto insurance, joint owner on bank accounts, beneficiaries of accounts, life insurance, several other legal documents that carry even more weight, plenty of social evidence and sharing of all kinds of accounts, etc.. All without him even living here yet.  

It always kind of irks me when people say they can’t gather enough evidence…all it really takes is some genuine thinking and running around 🙈😂

Okay I mean good for you??? 

I don’t drive so no auto insurance, can’t be added as a joint on his bank account with the bank he is with (we’ve called the bank & gone there several times), neither of us have life insurance as we’re in our early 20’s.

We have plenty of social evidence but most of what people suggest are things we’ve tried to get & have been turned away for so it’s not just talking out of my ### about it lol 

Timeline
1 hour ago, wxman22 said:

Ok

The good news is,  we had even less than you.  We were in a small town in Alaska,  no SSAN, no job,  no back account,  no insurance  ,No joint accounts, no nothing, not even a lease. 

We brough:

pictures and videos we had made in the prior year, 

Copy of application to add her to my health insurance,  

That's it. 

Officer asked her about our life in Alaska.

He ended with he'd let us know. 

We were approved the next day. 

There is no bad news.  Don't worry. Be open and honest. 

Thank you for this! 
This made me feel a lot better, I think there’s a lot of folks out there that forget how stressful this process is in the moment evens when you can look back & realize a lot of things you stressed about didn’t end up being that important haha

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
On 2/13/2022 at 1:58 PM, TYosemite said:

Hey guys, I got my notice for my I-485 interview for March 1st & after reading through the recommended evidence for ongoing relationship I started to panic a bit. 

Due to SSA messing me around, I never got my SSN so most things I could never get.

So far aside from photos from our wedding ceremony in California (we had our actual wedding a few months before this at the courthouse to stay within the 90 days)… I’ve been able to be added as an authorized user to my husbands credit card & we have a Sam’s club membership together. 

He’s going to be talking to his work on Monday about a possible loop hole they may have managed to find to get me on his health insurance (it’s not open enrolment) so that’s a possibility! 
Our lease isn’t due for renewal until after the appointment date so I cant be added to that in time to use it as evidence either.

Is there any other ideas you guys have that I could use? Or do you think these things will be enough? 

I did check off for USCIS to apply for SSN for me due to not being able to get one in time, so I’m hoping they’d be understanding that most things require an SSN to be added to (eg bank accounts, car insurance, bills etc) 

I added my fiance onto my work health plan even before getting Married.  I just needed an affidavit that we were living together. You should check with your company HR.

As soon as my fiance entered US I applied for SSN. You can get an letter from SS office that you applied for SSN.   There is a VisaJourney's step by step guide for K-1 visa and for AOS.

For AOS, most important thing is to show you are in a  bona fida relationship and married.   Do you have jointly filed tax forms, auto insurance coverage? Putting her on your auto insurance shouldn't be too hard .  Getting her on your credit card as authorized user and have her use it. It will help build her credit history too. One Good card is  Costco card it itemizes the purchases based on the card holder so the monthly statement will show charges made by your partner.  It might be difficult to open a bank account without a SSN , greencard or for her to apply for a StateID or driver license.  Even applying for credit cards you need SSN.  Sorry to say Getting the SSn should have been your high priority upon arrival.  

Edited by poh

K-1 Visa Interview:

POE :

SS Application Sent:

2017-10-17, Approved!:D

2017-12-6

2017-12-12

Married:                      2018-1-8

SS Card Received:     2018-1-16

SS Application Sent(Name Change):  2018-1-17

AOS Application Sent:   2018-2-8

SS Card Received (Name Change):     2018-2-12

AOS Application Delivered:      2018-2-13

AOS Application Accepted:     2018-2-22

AOS NOA1 Received:       2018-2-26

AOS/EAP Biometrics NOA Received:   2018-3-2

AOS/EAP Biometrics Appointment:  2018-3-12

Interview Scheduled:       2018-7-6  

EAP/AP Card Received:    2018-7-19

Original interview Date :2018-8-24  (USCIS Rescheduled due to Hurricane):cry:

Rescheduled Interview Date :2018-10-2, Approved!!  :D

GC Received :             2018-10-18 :thumbs:

SS Card Update :         2018-10-19

SS Card Received:      2018-10-26

ROC

ROC Application Sent via FedEx:  2020-7-2

ROC Application Received :2020-7-6

Rec'ed Text, Case # Assigned : 2020-7-11

Check Cashed: 2020-7-13

NOA Received: 2020-7-22

Case Transferred : 2021-11-10

Biometrics Applied:. 2021-5-12😄

ROC Interview passed: : 2021-7-4🥳

N-400

Eligible to file for US Citizenship : 2021-7-4🥳

N-400 filed online : 2021-12-1🥳

Biometrics reused

Passed Interview  : 2022-4-27🥳

event.png

Timeline
2 hours ago, poh said:

I added my fiance onto my work health plan even before getting Married.  I just needed an affidavit that we were living together. You should check with your company HR.

As soon as my fiance entered US I applied for SSN. You can get an letter from SS office that you applied for SSN.   There is a VisaJourney's step by step guide for K-1 visa and for AOS.

For AOS, most important thing is to show you are in a  bona fida relationship and married.   Do you have jointly filed tax forms, auto insurance coverage? Putting her on your auto insurance shouldn't be too hard .  Getting her on your credit card as authorized user and have her use it. It will help build her credit history too. One Good card is  Costco card it itemizes the purchases based on the card holder so the monthly statement will show charges made by your partner.  It might be difficult to open a bank account without a SSN , greencard or for her to apply for a StateID or driver license.  Even applying for credit cards you need SSN.  Sorry to say Getting the SSn should have been your high priority upon arrival.  

I applied for a SSN 2 weeks after I arrived in the US, before we even got married. 
By the time they could even schedule me an appointment, get me in for an appointment it had been a month & a half.

I went & applied for my SSN, he told me it would be 2 weeks before it would arrive, I waited it never came, I called they said their processing times were much longer than usual.

10 days before my visa was set to expire I received a letter in the mail from SSA stating that they couldn’t process my visa because it was expiring in less than 14 days lol

SSN absolutely was my first priority when I moved here. 

My husbands health insurance isn’t open enrolment, therefore only us getting married would’ve allowed him to add me but the insurance rep his HR spoke to have them the wrong information about me needing SSN to be added to it.

Keep in mind we also fully expected to have EAD processed before receiving a green card interview so none of this would’ve actually been a problem. 

We have a Sam’s club membership that both of our names are on, the closest Costco is 3 hours away so the cost of membership isn’t worth it. 

We’re not stupid, we tried all avenues we could. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
On 2/13/2022 at 9:28 PM, Mike E said:

Usually you can be added to a health plan within 30 days of marriage or move to the USA. 

USCIS understands that newly weds will have weak evidence.  Relax. 

I would suggest actually USING the insurance too.  That would show more than just being added on to it, that you have a primary physician and met them.  Basic blood work will do.  Dentist, optometrist.  
My wife has a health insurance card and a separate bank card in her name, tied to my/our account of course.  I changed life insurance beneficiary to her.  She got SSN card but can’t use it for now when changing to married name and we are in a holding pattern (though her SSN is hers, I filed taxes using it w maiden name).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
4 minutes ago, PBoland said:

I would suggest actually USING the insurance too.

That’s an interesting idea that never occurred to us or our lawyer.  If we get an RFE or interview  for RoC we will do that.  Thanks. 

Edited by Mike E

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.