53 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
7 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

You didn't apply concurrently for an EAD?

I did, I also applied for the travel document as well.

I got my interview notice for this first, apparently it’s been happening fairly often. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, molehills said:

We never received a SSN either. We took what we could: 1 credit card statement with both names on account, our Xfinity bill with both names, health insurance info with both names, photos, and that's it. 

Our IO never even looked at any evidence  though he did stress that having everything for removal of conditions is much more important. Good luck and congrats on the interview!

Thank you! 
I have everything else they listed on the interview notice so I’m hoping they’re not as worried about the evidence portion! 

Timeline
2 hours ago, Scandi said:

Your husband can also get a credit card in your name, as an extra to just being an "authorized user" on his card. No SSN needed, and that way you can take copies of both your cards showing the same card number. 

No SSN needed for joint bank accounts either, but that should've been done long ago so you had several statements to show. 

In many states you can also get a state ID and/or Drivers license without an SSN. 

They sent me a card for him adding me as an authorized user. 
SSN is needed for the bank account we went to the bank & sat down with them in person when we first got married. 

Also I don’t drive so can’t get a drivers license in my name, SSN is required for it in our state anyways. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
15 minutes ago, TYosemite said:

I did, I also applied for the travel document as well.

I got my interview notice for this first, apparently it’s been happening fairly often. 

Yeah, some offices are doing AOS interviews even before the EAD/AP card is processed.  At this point, I would take what you have and hope for the best.  You really cannot manufacture evidence at this point and as others have pointed out, people AOS'ing from a K1 typically do not have a lot of commingling evidence as of yet.  I would have your spouse raise the issue of the health insurance with his HR as they seemed to just want him to go away.   I remember way back when my wife and I were going through AOS, I was able to add her to my insurance without a SSN.  A lot of HR folks think they need to fill in every box when making a change, but there are a lot of other options/circumstances. 

Good Luck!

Edited by Dashinka

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline
Just now, Dashinka said:

Yeah, some offices are doing AOS interviews even before the EAD/AP card is processed.  At this point, I would take what you have and hope for the best.  You really cannot manufacture evidence at this point and as others have pointed out, people AOS'ing from a K1 typically do not have a lot of commingling evidence as of yet.  I would have your spouse raise the issue of the health insurance with his HR as they seemed to just want him to go away.  

Good Luck!

Yeah I mean it wasn’t so much a matter of manufacturing it as opposed to things we might already have but didn’t think of. 

We have Christmas cards addressed to the both of us from extended family members, of course our wedding cards, photos from our ceremony in California with both our family. 
I was added as an authorized user to his credit card & they sent me a card. 
The Sam’s club membership is in both of our names. 
I was looking to add both our names to our dogs licenses but ended up putting one on each since they only accept one name. 
The health insurance they told us I can get too so there’s that as well. 

I have mail addressed to the address we both live at. 

Everything else we looked into, told us I needed my SSN unfortunately.

I started calling for an appointment for it way back in June, 2 weeks after I moved to the US & still got a letter 10 days before my I-94 expiry saying they couldn’t issue it before my visa ran out. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
7 minutes ago, TYosemite said:

Yeah I mean it wasn’t so much a matter of manufacturing it as opposed to things we might already have but didn’t think of. 

We have Christmas cards addressed to the both of us from extended family members, of course our wedding cards, photos from our ceremony in California with both our family. 
I was added as an authorized user to his credit card & they sent me a card. 
The Sam’s club membership is in both of our names. 
I was looking to add both our names to our dogs licenses but ended up putting one on each since they only accept one name. 
The health insurance they told us I can get too so there’s that as well. 

I have mail addressed to the address we both live at. 

Everything else we looked into, told us I needed my SSN unfortunately.

I started calling for an appointment for it way back in June, 2 weeks after I moved to the US & still got a letter 10 days before my I-94 expiry saying they couldn’t issue it before my visa ran out. 

Take all of that with you to the interview.  I know when we did it, the IO was keen on looking at our wedding photos. 

I think you have as much as we had back then, the AOS interview we had was mostly about reviewing the I485 form, and reviewing any additional information we had since we had submitted it.  We did not have any utility bills, but we did have joint insurance, and our photo album from our wedding.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

If you can document that HR gave your husband the wrong info (or if they are willing to help you out) they can most likely get you onto his insurance now, since it was a company error, not yours.

18 hours ago, TYosemite said:

Hey guys, I got my notice for my I-485 interview for March 1st & after reading through the recommended evidence for ongoing relationship I started to panic a bit. 

Due to SSA messing me around, I never got my SSN so most things I could never get.

So far aside from photos from our wedding ceremony in California (we had our actual wedding a few months before this at the courthouse to stay within the 90 days)… I’ve been able to be added as an authorized user to my husbands credit card & we have a Sam’s club membership together. 

He’s going to be talking to his work on Monday about a possible loop hole they may have managed to find to get me on his health insurance (it’s not open enrolment) so that’s a possibility! 
Our lease isn’t due for renewal until after the appointment date so I cant be added to that in time to use it as evidence either.

Is there any other ideas you guys have that I could use? Or do you think these things will be enough? 

I did check off for USCIS to apply for SSN for me due to not being able to get one in time, so I’m hoping they’d be understanding that most things require an SSN to be added to (eg bank accounts, car insurance, bills etc) 

Matching drivers licenses?  You guys have shared car insurance?  I am also wondering why you are not at least listed as a resident on the lease, our apt made me do that (not on the lease but a listed resident)

If your mail and his mail (official) bills such as your health insurance come to the same address use that.  No EAD filed?

Filed: IR-5 Country: Indonesia
Timeline
4 hours ago, TYosemite said:

Also I don’t drive so can’t get a drivers license in my name, SSN is required for it in our state anyways. 

I think you are in New York state.  Consider a non-driver ID card.  It specifically says that you do not need to be a US Citizen to get one.  That way you have a "photo" ID from the State with the same address as your husband.

https://dmv.ny.gov/more-info/resources-non-us-citizens

Regards,

Vicky's Mom

Timeline
21 minutes ago, iwannaplay54 said:

Matching drivers licenses?  You guys have shared car insurance?  I am also wondering why you are not at least listed as a resident on the lease, our apt made me do that (not on the lease but a listed resident)

If your mail and his mail (official) bills such as your health insurance come to the same address use that.  No EAD filed?

I don’t drive unfortunately so anything to do with car insurance/drivers licenses I cannot get! 

I couldn’t be added until the lease was due for renewal which isn’t until March 31st & our interview is March 1st so that’s no good to us haha 

Honestly I’m thinking I should be okay with what I have now, I did tick off to have USCIS apply for SSN for me so they’ll be aware that I couldn’t get it in time & I have the letter from SSA stating they couldn’t issue it in time as further proof that I at least tried to get one. 
Hoping they’re understanding of the situation at least. 

I’ve had mail from USCIS come to the same address as his bills come to if that counts.

I filed EAD but got my interview before it EAD was even processed.

Timeline
20 minutes ago, Vickys_Mom said:

I think you are in New York state.  Consider a non-driver ID card.  It specifically says that you do not need to be a US Citizen to get one.  That way you have a "photo" ID from the State with the same address as your husband.

https://dmv.ny.gov/more-info/resources-non-us-citizens

Regards,

Vicky's Mom

If you’re applying with a foreign passport you need to have one of these things & I don’t believe I have any of them 🥲

771F5919-2674-40A1-8EAE-767719F66F77.png

7 hours ago, Scandi said:

Your husband can also get a credit card in your name, as an extra to just being an "authorized user" on his card. No SSN needed, and that way you can take copies of both your cards showing the same card number. 

No SSN needed for joint bank accounts either, but that should've been done long ago so you had several statements to show. 

In many states you can also get a state ID and/or Drivers license without an SSN. 

Depends on the bank for not having a SSN to get an account or added to an account. Most of the big banks you'll have to have an SSN, when we first tried at (B of A)  to get my wife on the account they would not budge! As far as the state ID and license you are correct depends on the state, my state was not one of them.

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

34 minutes ago, TYosemite said:

If you’re applying with a foreign passport you need to have one of these things & I don’t believe I have any of them 🥲

771F5919-2674-40A1-8EAE-767719F66F77.png

Don't you have the visa/I-94? In my state at least they are relaxed if they are expired, provided you have them. Could be worth checking.

Focus on what you do have: anything that has both of your names on it, especially if it also includes your address.

We had very little evidence at my AOS interview. The officer was very understanding of the fact that we were newlyweds and just did not have much evidence yet.

19 hours ago, TYosemite said:

Hey guys, I got my notice for my I-485 interview for March 1st & after reading through the recommended evidence for ongoing relationship I started to panic a bit. 

Due to SSA messing me around, I never got my SSN so most things I could never get.

So far aside from photos from our wedding ceremony in California (we had our actual wedding a few months before this at the courthouse to stay within the 90 days)… I’ve been able to be added as an authorized user to my husbands credit card & we have a Sam’s club membership together. 

He’s going to be talking to his work on Monday about a possible loop hole they may have managed to find to get me on his health insurance (it’s not open enrolment) so that’s a possibility! 
Our lease isn’t due for renewal until after the appointment date so I cant be added to that in time to use it as evidence either.

Is there any other ideas you guys have that I could use? Or do you think these things will be enough? 

I did check off for USCIS to apply for SSN for me due to not being able to get one in time, so I’m hoping they’d be understanding that most things require an SSN to be added to (eg bank accounts, car insurance, bills etc) 

Same situation as yours. Couldn’t get my SSN, but AOS is pending.

my spouse contacted landlord add my name in the lease of house, plus health insurance has my name and go to your electric bill company website and add authorize user as your name. A lot of it don’t really need SSN. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.