AMG32id

My girlfriend was held at a police station for 48 hours for a debt. Debt was paid and she was released. Will this disqualify her4 for a Visa. And if not and we get married there in the Philippines, what is that Visa Called?

64 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Chancy said:

Yes, the accused makes a big deal out of it not being a loan.  But the fact remains that there was money owed between friends that was not paid back.

"Further, during the private complainant’s testimony before the court a quo, she never failed to state that the only consideration for lending the subject money to the petitioner was their friendship. The private complainant bestowed her trust on the petitioner because of the said friendship. Indeed, the money was given to the petitioner by the private complainant without any interest at all. Thus, there exists a fiduciary relationship between the petitioner and the private complainant which is an essential element of estafa by misappropriation or conversion."

Actually the other way around.  The accused (Petitioner) made a big deal out of it because, if it was a loan, then it wouldn't be estafa, as there would have no fiduciary relationship.  She ended up being guilty because the funds were held in trust rather than simply loaned to her.  In other words, borrowing money and being a deadbeat does not create the elements for an estafa conviction. 

Finally done.

3 minutes ago, Talako said:

Actually the other way around.  The accused (Petitioner) made a big deal out of it because, if it was a loan, then it wouldn't be estafa, as there would have no fiduciary relationship.  She ended up being guilty because the funds were held in trust rather than simply loaned to her.  In other words, borrowing money and being a deadbeat does not create the elements for an estafa conviction. 

Oof!  Thanks for the correction.  That's what I get for reading and writing about cases at 3am 🥴  Anyway, yes, simple non-payment of debts would not be enough to be sent to jail for estafa.  To be convicted of estafa, there must be evidence of breach of confidence (like in that actual case), or elements of fraud or deceit.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
20 hours ago, RO_AH said:

He said

Which leads me to think he did send money and really put me on alert.

Please understand that this sounds at face value extremely unusual if not unbelievable. I am not saying you are being scammed, and most times when you warn someone that they are or may be getting scammed they go straight into defense mode. I just ask that you think about it. Do some digging, and most of all do not except excuses if you ask. Also do not be made to feel guilty for asking hard questions.

I think I am being scammed, almost a day hasn't gone by without a money request. 3 months. But I've seen scams and she had pictures, and.... Well. A surgery, she shoed me body parts that needed surgery, a Typhoon, and I verified there was a typhon. A Grandfather died, and she sent me a picture of her standing next to a very old dead person in a coffin. She said she got a hernias', and showed me Invoices, Her Dad got in a motorcycle accident, and they would stich him up till I paid for that, after she sent me pics of his head stitched up, then He needed restitched, and I could come up with the money fast enough and she said he died. She sent me more coffin pics, I paid half, and she said she promised to pay the other half in 48 hours, but I could come up with the money in 48 hours. It took 5 days And after 48 hours she sent me pictures of her at a police station, and they held here for 48 hours till I paid the other half of the debt. I paid and they let her go. She showed me pictures of the motorcycle and it was totaled. So I believe her. And now we are working on her Roofless house from the typhoon, she showed me pics of a house with no roof, I paid for the materials she said they installed it, but every picture she shows me is not of a house with a new roof. I risked calling her out, and she said she is not that type of person. She did not get mad a flea, I said no more money till after we get married, she agreed. lol  ugh

41 minutes ago, AMG32id said:

I think I am being scammed, almost a day hasn't gone by without a money request. 3 months. But I've seen scams and she had pictures, and.... Well. A surgery, she shoed me body parts that needed surgery, a Typhoon, and I verified there was a typhon. A Grandfather died, and she sent me a picture of her standing next to a very old dead person in a coffin. She said she got a hernias', and showed me Invoices, Her Dad got in a motorcycle accident, and they would stich him up till I paid for that, after she sent me pics of his head stitched up, then He needed restitched, and I could come up with the money fast enough and she said he died. She sent me more coffin pics, I paid half, and she said she promised to pay the other half in 48 hours, but I could come up with the money in 48 hours. It took 5 days And after 48 hours she sent me pictures of her at a police station, and they held here for 48 hours till I paid the other half of the debt. I paid and they let her go. She showed me pictures of the motorcycle and it was totaled. So I believe her. And now we are working on her Roofless house from the typhoon, she showed me pics of a house with no roof, I paid for the materials she said they installed it, but every picture she shows me is not of a house with a new roof. I risked calling her out, and she said she is not that type of person. She did not get mad a flea, I said no more money till after we get married, she agreed. lol  ugh

100% being scammed. You need to understand you are dealing with a professional. She does this for a living and will outsmart you at every turn. How do I know? I know people that do this. She will suck as much money from you that she can and when you stop sending she will not care because those pictures that she is sending you is also sending others or she is finding more guys to take your place. Knowing their script I can tell you how she will respond to any question that you ask. Trust me, you are in the little league playing with a pro. If you want to discuss more in pvt feel free to pm me. I don't know if you know the term ghosting but that is what you should do.

There is not one thing that you said in your post that does not scream scammer. Save yourself while you can.

11 hours ago, AMG32id said:

Typhoon, and I verified there was a typhon

Do you know how many typhoons they have a year?? Around 20. That's 2-3 a month during typhoon season. Are you ready to pay for 20 roof a year?

He needed restitched, and I could come up with the money fast enough and she said he died

Hahahaha my God she is good

Have her show you his head with the stitches when you are in a video call without telling her first. He will be out, trust me.

Pretty easy to get in the Philippines. Any Filipino on FB probably sees several pics like that in a week.

I risked calling her out, and she said she is not that type of person. She did not get mad a flea

Haha they know how to play foreigners. She will make you feel guilty for even accusing her. She will say don't worry I don't need you to send me any money. A week later she will have another emergency.

I have been in a relationship with my wife for 10 years. To this day she has never asked me for money. She was working 3 jobs when we met. For the amount she was making I said quit 2 jobs so you will have time to see me and I will send you xxx every 2 weeks. That was my choice and it was less than the cost of a coffee drink per day in America. I was willing to do that so we had more time to get to know each other. I told her there will be no emergencies. She needed to put 1k pesos in the bank each time I sent money so she would have a savings if she had an emergency.

I already knew the scammer game and they are in constant crisis. Always one emergency after another. Always emergencies like you described. I wanted to make sure that my (now wife) was not one of those. Thank God she wasn't. There are lots of scammers there but there are diamonds also. You need to be careful where you look and know the scammer game so you do not fall prey.

Edited by Ontarkie
removed 1 quote edited another members post

Consider the money you paid her as an educational expense. Break off all contact. You are being used and it will not stop until you stop it. Reading your older posts I think you were engaged or married to a Filipina before and had some difficulties? I am not trying to be rough on you but foreign marriage is not for everyone. The best of luck to you and stop sending money)

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 hours ago, AMG32id said:

She showed me pictures of the motorcycle and it was totaled. So I believe her.

Every Pulis station has an impound yard with a bunch of bikes and many of them wrecked. Easy to pull one out for a picture. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 hours ago, AMG32id said:

think I am being scammed,

At least you're waking up.  Some guys don't until they're out of money and the scammer is gone. I know of several sad cases where no one could convince the guy he was being scammed even telling him to his face he was stupid. One even the scammer's sister told him she was scamming him. He ended up losing his US farm that had been paid off.

@AMG32id sorry this is happening to you. At least you know now, before you brought her to the States and before you got married. And you know how to protect yourself better going forward.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~One post edited to remove a quote that the poster edited. DO Not change a members quote that is a TOS Violation and can result in suspension~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Am I the only one who thinks you are pulling our leg?

Spouse

Nov. 29th, 2020: I-130 submitted online, NOA 1 Nov. 30th, 2020

Feb. 19th, 2021: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: I-130 Approved 😊

Feb. 25th, 2021: Welcome letter from NVC

Mar. 9th, 2021:  Received Hard Copy NOA 2 I-797 in mail

October, 2021: One Year Postponement of Move, Visa Completion On Hold

Feb. 4th, 2022: Submitted DS 260

Stepdaughter

Nov. 29th, 2020: I-130 submitted online, NOA 1 Nov. 30th, 2020

Dec. 9th, 2020: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: I-130 Approved 😊

Feb. 25th, 2021: Welcome letter from NVC

Mar. 9th, 2021:  Received Hard Copy NOA 2 I-797 in mail

October, 2021: One Year Postponement of Move, Visa Completion On Hold

Feb. 4th, 2022: Submitted DS 260

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.