AMG32id

My girlfriend was held at a police station for 48 hours for a debt. Debt was paid and she was released. Will this disqualify her4 for a Visa. And if not and we get married there in the Philippines, what is that Visa Called?

64 posts in this topic

This post raises a lot of red flags for me. I shared it with my wife and she says this sounds like a typical scam in the Philippines. After reading the post she feels bad for the OP and seemed upset when telling me about how typical this type of thing is. When I first met my wife she wouldn't accept money from me for the longest time. Not even a small amount. She worked 12 hours a day 6 days a week for about $250 a month. At the time I was making good money and that amount of money was insignificant to me so I offered to send her enough so she could stop working long hours for little pay. It wasn't until after I visited her for the second time and we got married that she finally accepted money from me. Even then I could tell she felt guilty about it and she kept promising to get a job as soon as she got here (which she basically did despite me telling her to take her time). Anyways whatever happens I hope things work out for you and I would say don't give up on Filipina women. There are plenty of good ones out there that will treat you well (my wife agrees). Just be careful.

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

@jg121783 I had a similar mindset as your wife. It was one of the reasons why, when my husband and I were still dating, I always insisted on splitting the bill whenever we went out, and why I insisted on paying my own way for my first visit to the States, and why I kept working even after we moved in together.

Waiting to see how long someone waits before asking for money is a good way to filter out the scammers from the genuine ones.

16 minutes ago, Adventine said:

@jg121783 I had a similar mindset as your wife. It was one of the reasons why, when my husband and I were still dating, I always insisted on splitting the bill whenever we went out, and why I insisted on paying my own way for my first visit to the States, and why I kept working even after we moved in together.

Waiting to see how long someone waits before asking for money is a good way to filter out the scammers from the genuine ones.

I will say that asking for money alone isn't necessarily a red flag to me. People get in legitimately desperate situations in the Philippines all the time and it doesn't always mean they aren't being truthful about how they feel about you. I have a couple friends who's now wives reluctanyly asked for money a couple times before they got married. However if it is frequent and large amounts of money I would be suspicious.

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

I agree that honest people can get in a financial bind sometimes and that it happens more often in countries like the PH without good social safety nets. And for sure, requests for frequent and large amounts of money are the biggest red flags.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.