AMG32id

My girlfriend was held at a police station for 48 hours for a debt. Debt was paid and she was released. Will this disqualify her4 for a Visa. And if not and we get married there in the Philippines, what is that Visa Called?

64 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

She borrowed money for her Dads funeral, and told the friend that loaned her the money that she would pay it back in 2 days, but she could not get it in 2 days. I guess the person reported her to the police, and they wrote her up, and held her for 2 more days. Then we got the money and she was released. Is this a crime that we have to report in our Visa request? And which Visa doI need if we get married first in the Philippines? I am thinking of using a Lawyer, any recommendations in Chandler Arizona?

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Greetings!

I never heard of someone being imprisoned for loaning money. Anyways, I believed that there is something more to this story. Plus whatever it is, if she was really imprisoned then it wil come out on her criminal record. Also, I would ask her the charges, if possible ask for an evidence. in this way you can be prepared as  to what documents that she may need or what to answer when asked in any application or if she needed a lawyer.

Best of luck, NG

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Malta
Timeline

What does it say on her police certificate? She'll need it anyway.

USCIS

29 Apr 2020: I-130 filed online

11 Dec 2020: I-130 approved

NVC

17 Dec 2020: NVC Received

25 Jan 2021: Paid AOS and IV fees

14 Apr 2021: Submitted I-864, I-864A and DS-260

14 Apr 2021: Expedite request

04 May 2021: Expedite approved, case sent to Consulate in Naples, Italy

US Consulate Naples, Italy

04 May 2021: Consulate received

18 May 2021: Requested expedited interview

20 May 2021: Expedited interview approved and scheduled for 8th June

07 Jun 2021: Medical at Istituto Varelli (Naples, Italy) - Very friendly staff, spoke English

08 Jun 2021: Interview - APPROVED

09 Jun 2021: Picked up passport with Visa in person from Consulate 

USA

17 June 2021: Entered New York (JFK) as Point of Entry

17 June 2021: Landed in Arizona and reunited with my wife :) 

28 June 2021: Received Social Security Number

10 July 2021: Form I-551 (Green Card) marked as in production

15 July 2021: Form I-551 (Green Card) received in the post

17 minutes ago, nelmagriffin said:

I stand corrected. I never heard anyone imprisoned for borrowing money. I would still highly recommend to ask and for an evidence.

They get imprisoned when they don’t pay it back. 
(apparently. Seems odd to get put in jail for two days just because someone made an allegation but I’ll take OP’s version at face value….)

Edited by SusieQQQ

5 hours ago, AMG32id said:

She borrowed money for her Dads funeral, and told the friend that loaned her the money that she would pay it back in 2 days, but she could not get it in 2 days. I guess the person reported her to the police, and they wrote her up, and held her for 2 more days. Then we got the money and she was released. Is this a crime that we have to report in our Visa request? And which Visa do need if we get married first in the Philippines? I am thinking of using a Lawyer, any recommendations in Chandler Arizona?

My guess is that if the lender was paid back charges were dropped. The story does seem odd though because the law is rarely enforced or half the Philippines would be in jail.

I don't know anything about you or your relationship but if it was me I would be on very high alert.

If you get married in the Philippines you file an I-130 (spousal visa) but you will not be able to go there for quite a while. You could look at online wedding and then apply for a visa to go there. All the info can be found on these forums but if you can hire an attorney if you feel that you will not be able to do it on your own.

Did I mention that I would be on high alert?

Estafa is pretty common in the Philippines, just about anyone can file a case on you if you borrowed money from them and did not pay them back. As long as it did not go to court and have a ruling against her it's usually not a big deal, if she paid it back and she was released there was no conviction. The police / brgy usually rather you work it out between the two so they don't have to go through with the case.  A conviction showing up on your police record in the Philippines is much worse, in this case it does not sound like it but I am not legal counsel just my opinion.  

Another common crime in the Philippines is Adultery, if married in the Philippines and you get caught cheating your spouse can file a case against both parties if convicted you can spend up to 6 years in jail.

Some of their laws are a little different but it helps to learn them at some point if you are going to be visiting on a regular basis.  

34 minutes ago, Kby175 said:

Another common crime in the Philippines is Adultery, if married in the Philippines and you get caught cheating your spouse can file a case against both parties if convicted you can spend up to 6 years in jail.

Only case of this I am familiar with is the husband filed a case against the guy,   he paid the husband to have the charges dropped. 

This seems to be the way the court system works in the Philippines where the defendant has a period of time from when charges are filed and the case goes to court to work out an agreement which is monetary in order to have person drop charges.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, RO_AH said:

He said

Which leads me to think he did send money and really put me on alert.

Please understand that this sounds at face value extremely unusual if not unbelievable. I am not saying you are being scammed, and most times when you warn someone that they are or may be getting scammed they go straight into defense mode. I just ask that you think about it. Do some digging, and most of all do not except excuses if you ask. Also do not be made to feel guilty for asking hard questions.

*BINGO*

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.