M&D2021

Applying for online marriage license before K1 entry (then Zoom Marriage after arrival)

34 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I just learned that Utah allows for online marriage license applications. Are we allowed to apply for our marriage license before my fiance enters the US as long as we don't actually get married until after her arrival? We do so after she receives her visa and knows her travel dates. Thank you.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 minutes ago, M&D2021 said:

I just learned that Utah allows for online marriage license applications. Are we allowed to apply for our marriage license before my fiance enters the US as long as we don't actually get married until after her arrival? We do so after she receives her visa and knows her travel dates. Thank you.

Why would it be a problem?  An application for a marriage license does not convey anything other than giving you permission to get married at a future date.   

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Would it not be easier and cheaper to marry locally.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
16 minutes ago, M&D2021 said:

What are the advantages?

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
12 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Would it not be easier and cheaper to marry locally.

No, it is actually cheaper to do it virtually in Utah than locally in my state. Plus, this saves on time too since we don't need to be waiting in the clerk's office and then the magistrate's office.

Timeline
15 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Why would it be a problem?  An application for a marriage license does not convey anything other than giving you permission to get married at a future date.   

Thank you. The reason I was asking is because I wanted to be entirely sure. I didn't think it would be an issue. On another note, is there a need for you to question my post? If you have an answer, as you did, please just respond with that. Your asking 'Why would it be a problem?' doesn't add any value and comes off as a bit snarky.

4 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

What are the advantages?

Save time and money. Plus you don't have to put on pants, if you don't want to.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
3 minutes ago, M&D2021 said:

No, it is actually cheaper to do it virtually in Utah than locally in my state. Plus, this saves on time too since we don't need to be waiting in the clerk's office and then the magistrate's office.

Have you thought about a destination wedding after your fiance arrives?  @Loren Y has generously offered to marry VJ members in Las Vegas.  He can have you married with certificate in hand in a matter of a couple hours.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

Have you thought about a destination wedding after your fiance arrives?  @Loren Y has generously offered to marry VJ members in Las Vegas.  He can have you married with certificate in hand in a matter of a couple hours.  

That's a great and generous offer. Unfortunately, a destination wedding is not in the cards for us at this stage.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

You plan to do the zoom marriage after fiancee arrives in US

nothing wrong with that as fiancee will be here to consummate the marriage

BUT be careful if you think to do it while fiancee is not here yet and then travel to see him before the interview /  CO would assume you consummated the marriage  on the visit  and that would mean spousal interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, Lucky Cat said:

What are the advantages?

The Utah marriage certificate is faster.  

At some localities backlogs just to get a license are taking weeks.  The Utah marriage certificate is faster.   

At some localities backlogs to get the certificate are taking months.  

A K-1 visa entrant has just 90 days to get lots of stuff done:

* apply for and get SS card. Generally needs to be done before marriage.  

* use SSN to joint bank account and get added to at least one utility bill

* get a state REAL ID (requires SSN and might even require a marriage certificate for proof of address). And in most states this needs to done while there  are 60 or days of I-94 authorized stay left.  

* gather  the I-485 package together with evidence 

* send the package before the I-94 expires.  

1 hour ago, Lucky Cat said:

It’s a great solution for those who can afford it.  It also consumes precious days during the first 30 days due to travel.    And until the Utah zoom marriage it was the only solution I recommended.  

Now I recommend the Utah zoom marriage.  It’s the wave of the future.  

Timeline
10 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

You plan to do the zoom marriage after fiancee arrives in US

nothing wrong with that as fiancee will be here to consummate the marriage

BUT be careful if you think to do it while fiancee is not here yet and then travel to see him before the interview /  CO would assume you consummated the marriage  on the visit  and that would mean spousal interview

If Utah zoom marriage is done while the alien fiancée is not in the USA then even if they don’t meet, the couple is too married to qualify for a K-1 or use an issued K-1 

However applying for the marriage license might be powerful evidence of bonafide relationship and intent to marry to bring to the interview.  

Edited by Mike E

Timeline
9 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

My fiance already had her interview and was approved. Just waiting to get her passport back. We would marry once she arrives in the US, but since Utah allows marriage licenses to be applied for online as well, I was thinking to apply for it before she flies, but once she has her passport back and a ticket booked.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
1 hour ago, M&D2021 said:

Thank you. The reason I was asking is because I wanted to be entirely sure. I didn't think it would be an issue. On another note, is there a need for you to question my post? If you have an answer, as you did, please just respond with that. Your asking 'Why would it be a problem?' doesn't add any value and comes off as a bit snarky.

telling us how to respond is against the rules and i hope the mods will point that out

1 minute ago, M&D2021 said:

My fiance already had her interview and was approved. Just waiting to get her passport back. We would marry once she arrives in the US, but since Utah allows marriage licenses to be applied for online as well, I was thinking to apply for it before she flies, but once she has her passport back and a ticket booked.

conratulations on the approval

Timeline
15 minutes ago, M&D2021 said:

people should feel open to ask questions

I think your question showed a lot of inventiveness.  

Knowing what I know now about how much a K-1 couple needs to do in the first 30 days, your idea is such a time saver.   Hopefully all K-1s do the Utah zoom marriage moving forward and being their marriage license to the interview.   

One other thing.  You will be anxious to get the marriage done as soon as POE.  If you plan to get her an SS card, then marry  after your fiancée applies for an SS card (and in turn you should wait 2 business days after POE before applying for the SS card).    Some K-1 people have experienced problems applying for an SS card after getting married.  

Edited by Mike E

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.