M&D2021

Applying for online marriage license before K1 entry (then Zoom Marriage after arrival)

34 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
1 minute ago, Mike E said:

If you plan to get her an SS card, then marry  after your fiancée applies for an SS card (and in turn you should wait 2 business days after POE before applying for the SS card).    Some K-1 people have experienced problems applying for an SS card after getting married.  

Thanks for this guidance. In my case, we are lucky that my fiance already has a SSN as she previously had a work visa many years ago.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
Just now, M&D2021 said:

Thanks for this guidance. In my case, we are lucky that my fiance already has a SSN as she previously had a work visa many years ago.

Awesome.  You two are definitely in the drivers’ seat on this.  You can get her REAL ID as soon as you are married and you can married the day she arrives.  

Timeline
Just now, Mike E said:

Awesome.  You two are definitely in the drivers’ seat on this.  You can get her REAL ID as soon as you are married and you can married the day she arrives.  

Thank you for being so supportive and detailed oriented in your responses. You are the type of member that makes this community great.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
3 minutes ago, davidvs said:

I don't think he meant it to be snarky. This is the issue with message boards... Without hearing the tone in someone's voice it can be hard to catch the spirit in which something is said. I wouldn't read too much into the comment. 

Agree.  I interpreted the question to be "What are your concerns"?  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
13 minutes ago, davidvs said:
8 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

Agree.  I interpreted the question to be "What are your concerns"?  

Without hearing the tone in someone's voice it can be hard to catch the spirit in which something is said. I wouldn't read too much into the comment. 

I've come across what I interpreted to be a negative tone from this user directed at one of my posts in the past as well, so this is not a one off. Whatever the case though, I'm not losing any sleep over it. At the end of the day, it is just a web board and you are right that it can be hard to catch the spirit of what someone says. Anyway, thanks to everyone for their answers and support.

• Captain Ewok changed the title to Applying for online marriage license before K1 entry (then Zoom Marriage after arrival)
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

We applied online before my fiancé came to NY. But in NY, we still needed to be in and at the same location for the marriage license video call before they issued it. We applied before she came just to secure an appointment date. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

We just got married via Utah last week. We got electronic marriage certificate the same day and the paper copy was sent to my husband's address within a week.

If you apply for a marriage license via Utah county, its only valid for 30 days. If you don't get married within those 30days, you would have to apply for a new license and pay the fee again. So you should make sure your dates are aligned.  

We also ordered apostilled copies to make sure that the certificate is valid abroad.

Other than that, I must say that it was super pleasant experience, you can always email to the clerk if you have any questions, they respond pretty fast. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, Annevilwill said:

If you apply for a marriage license via Utah county, its only valid for 30 days. If you don't get married within those 30days, you would have to apply for a new license and pay the fee again.

Most K-1 visas are issued 10 working days after the interview.  Given all much should be done within 30 days of POE, it would be a no brainer to play the high percentage bet and enter the interview with stronger evidence of bonafide relationship and intent to marry.  

We also ordered apostilled copies to make sure that the certificate is valid abroad.

Not sure why I care about that since the idea is to get married and reside in the USA.   Besides which my marriage is illegal in at least one country … I don’t want self incriminating evidence.  

Other than that, I must say that it was super pleasant experience, you can always email to the clerk if you have any questions, they respond pretty fast. 

It is the wave of the future.  

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
16 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Most K-1 visas are issued 10 working days after the interview.  Given all much should be done within 30 days of POE, it would be a no brainer to play the high percentage bet and enter the interview with stronger evidence of bonafide relationship and intent to marry.  

I don't really get your answer.

My post was for OP about my personal experience as he wants to do the same. I just warned him (if he hasn't seen it yet himself) - that license is only 30 days valid, so they need to plan accordingly. His fiancée had interview already. 

Not sure why I care about that since the idea is to get married and reside in the USA.   Besides which my marriage is illegal in at least one country … I don’t want self incriminating evidence.  

Not sure why you tell me if you care about this or not. It was addressed to OP. His wife is from UK, so if she needs anything to be done in her own county marriage wise she would might want to have an apostille. Again, its my own experience and I mentioned about this possibility just in case they might need one in the future. 

Timeline
On 6/29/2021 at 8:31 AM, M&D2021 said:

I just learned that Utah allows for online marriage license applications. Are we allowed to apply for our marriage license before my fiance enters the US as long as we don't actually get married until after her arrival? We do so after she receives her visa and knows her travel dates. Thank you.

Hey m&d -

I received my license to marry for Utah (they are the only state to do marriage by proxy). It was instant or one day it took. Total cost is $70.00usd. Then you have 30 days to use license to get married. You can choose on there online calendar for date and time and will get a link to use to invite up to 90 people to join. This is if you choose to use the county clerk to do it. This cost is $30 usd and is paid 24 hours before your wedding date. 

my Utah online marriage is this Thursday. We are so happy and excited. We are lucky to be able to get married in this way. 

Edited by Afinthesky

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Hijack post removed.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Other Timeline
On 6/29/2021 at 8:56 AM, M&D2021 said:

There is also a pinned post at the top of the forum that relates to negative attitudes on the forum. I was simply pointing out that asking a snarky rhetorical question is unnecessary and can be interpreted as a negative attitude. If I knew the answer to the question, I wouldn't have asked. Isn't the whole point of the forum that people should feel open to ask questions without judgement and for others to help them in a positive way? So I hope the mods point that out as well.

AMEN TO THAT!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/29/2021 at 10:47 AM, Mike E said:

If Utah zoom marriage is done while the alien fiancée is not in the USA then even if they don’t meet, the couple is too married to qualify for a K-1 or use an issued K-1 

However applying for the marriage license might be powerful evidence of bonafide relationship and intent to marry to bring to the interview.  

I was married by the Utah courts. I went thru webwed and paid a ridiculous amount of money. Would have been cheaper to go thru the UT courts directly. They can marry you if you both aren't physically present in the same place. My husband and I were both physically in London, UK but it was as if we were married in Utah. Since I was physically present with him upon arrival in U.S., our marriage license was sufficient evidence for him to enter the country. The web marriage really was super convenient and has the same standing as any other legal marriage performed in the state of Utah.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Is anyone know step by step instructions to get Utah Zoom marriage license to get married? Or any official phone number of Utah authority in this respect? I have a friend whose fiancé went to K-1 visa interview and consular officer gave a pre-printed letter which contains a list of documents/evidence they need to submit within certain time if they want their K-1 visa application to be processed. There are tons of those documents, and one can submit one or more...one of the documents is being asked is-evidence that you have worked out a plan to get married in the US upon coming to US...and obtaining marriage license is a great way to offer as an evidence in my opinion. Thanks

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.