CKnight

What are the chances of a visa application being denied?

79 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline
3 hours ago, Paula&Johnny said:

I'm sorry to tell you but she is lying about this.

There is not such thing about brazilian visa for brazilian citizens NEVER!

If she told you that she can't come back after visit Brazil is because she doesn’t have a valid visa and she is afraid to travel and receive a ban.

I'm from Brazil and I can tell you that this history is really common here in the US.

If you really want to check out look her passport and you will see.

Ask her about the student visa application. 

I hope she is really not lying to you to get an green card.

Good luck 

This exactly, I am a citizen of Brasil as well and they would NEVER accept a brasilian citizen entering brasil  with a visa, that's ridiculous. I have dual citizenship actually and even if I wanted to enter on my american passport they would find that highly unacceptable.(when i was a kid there were talks with the military police when trying to enter as my mum had a visa as a us citizen and i was waiting in line with her, they made me wait in the other line with my dad as we both are brasilian citizens with passports)

I wish you the best but there are some red flags here. At best there is a serious language barrier and at worst there is intentional deception 

5 hours ago, CKnight said:

She is here legally in terms of being on the student visa. However, she is waiting for an answer on the visa, because she had to reapply for it, which means she is in limbo. I am going off of what she told me. But as I said in another post, I don't know that it makes sense to apply for a visa to enter your own country if you are already a citizen. 

Student visas and work visas for au pairs are two different things.

No country requires its own citizens to apply for a visa, unless they have abdicated their citizenship.  I'm not sure where you got this idea, or why you're so fixated on it, but if she's telling you this, there is more to her story.

You should do lots of reading and become educated about the immigration process.  You'll need more than a cursory grasp of it to proceed from here.

10 minutes ago, PGA said:

Here is what you do, a simple test: tell her you love her and are going to start looking for jobs in Brazil, you'd like to go visit with her and check out some apartments to rent. My bet is you'll know within a week (if not minutes) what her real purpose is. I've had years now living with my wife in Peru....I'm pretty sure she's legit 😆

This is a great idea!

Just now, PGA said:

Yes, so simple. I am surprised that more people don't do this, but I guess maybe they're afraid to find out the answer...

Yup.  It would help prevent much of the heartache posts we see here after the fact.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
6 hours ago, CKnight said:

We met in June of last year. To all of the comments suggesting she is lying or using me to get a green card: She didn't come to the United States with intent to marry. Also, she isn't pressuring me to marry her. I recognize that there are many scams and bad intentions with marrying a foreigner, but in my case, I think this has do her perhaps not knowing all of the details. 

You came here looking for help.  We are giving you advice on what we have seen.  It's up to you and only you to determine if she is genuine or scamming you.  Have a look on VJ and see how many people want their ex-spouses deported for scamming them, getting green cards, and going why isn't the US Government doing anything to help them punish the scammers.  

You came.  You got advice.  It's up to you to do what's right for you.  You are the best position to know and protect yourself.

Good luck.

6 hours ago, CKnight said:

We met in June of last year. To all of the comments suggesting she is lying or using me to get a green card: She didn't come to the United States with intent to marry. Also, she isn't pressuring me to marry her. I recognize that there are many scams and bad intentions with marrying a foreigner, but in my case, I think this has do her perhaps not knowing all of the details. 

So if the reason is not a green card you can tell her to fix her status and then you can married her.  What do you think? 😉

Or go to Brazil with her, get marry and she can wait the process there. 

Tell her the first option and you will get her reaction. 

....but wait.

In October you asked about K1 4 months after you met her, and you were thinking about imigration process?? Can I ask you why are you asking about imigration process so earlier in your relationship? Does she brought to you this "issue" since the beginning of your relationship??

If so, this is even more common 

Edited by Paula&Johnny

I would also recommend that she signs up for an account here and posts her questions. It seems you are somewhat confused about visas for the US - and that’s perfectly understandable, this is all unchartered territory for you. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Off-topic and noncontributory posts have been removed.

Thread is moved from the K-3 Process forum to General Immigration Discussion.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 2 weeks later...

My girlfriend came into the United States as an Au-pair under the J1 work visa. She said that she applied for the student and tourist visa about three months before her J1 visa was set to expire. It has been just about a year since she applied, and she has not heard anything  regarding whether or not she will receive the student and tourist visa. Apparently, she wanted to changed her status by applying before the J1 visa expired. She was also recently finger-printed in the process, but has not heard a definitive answer yet. If the visa is denied she will have to return home unless we get married. I am not sure that we will get married in the U.S., but what are the chances of receiving a denial on either of those visas? What would cause an application to be denied?

Edited by CKnight

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I thought this was explained pretty well on your last thread.  The term "visa shopping" comes to my mind. " If the visa is denied she will have to return home unless we get married"  Good luck.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

2 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

I thought this was explained pretty well on your last thread.  The term "visa shopping" comes to my mind. " If the visa is denied she will have to return home unless we get married"  Good luck.

Lucky Cat: That didn't quite answer my question on this thread. My question is, what are the chances of a denial concerning her visa applications? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.