Jody and Misho

Public Charge Rule Dead?

37 posts in this topic

Update: https://www.dhs.gov/news/2021/03/09/dhs-secretary-statement-2019-public-charge-rule#:~:text=Today%2C DHS Secretary Alejandro N,keeping with our nation's values

Key takeaway: Today, the Department of Justice dismissed its pending appeals in the Supreme Court and Seventh Circuit, and is in the process of doing so in the Fourth Circuit. Following the Seventh Circuit dismissal this afternoon, the final judgment from the Northern District of Illinois, which vacated the 2019 public charge rule, went into effect. As a result, the 1999 interim field guidance on the public charge inadmissibility provision (i.e., the policy that was in place before the 2019 public charge rule) is now in effect. 

If this means what I think it means, the I-944 is as good as dead?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
10 hours ago, Duke & Marie said:

I didn’t find it overwhelming or difficult... it’s really just putting in your education, financial status and employment history.. what’s so hard about that?

justification would be that it’s part of the legal migration process, not part of the craziness that’s currently going on at the boarder

It’s definitely overwhelming. We haven’t yet filed for AOS but based on FB groups of people who did, they have had to provide years’ of high school and college transcripts, credit reports, evidence of assets and liabilities and not to mention official translations of all of these if you’re not from an English-speaking country. It’s a dreaded form no matter who I talk to who’s filing for AOS

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
52 minutes ago, pooj97 said:

It’s definitely overwhelming. We haven’t yet filed for AOS but based on FB groups of people who did, they have had to provide years’ of high school and college transcripts, credit reports, evidence of assets and liabilities and not to mention official translations of all of these if you’re not from an English-speaking country. It’s a dreaded form no matter who I talk to who’s filing for AOS

Agreed, it took us over a month to compile everything, and I’m from Canada. I can’t imagine people who have to translate every document from their home country. It’s definitely a good thing they cancelled it. This may be a hot take, but I honestly feel it bordered on being a human rights issue.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I helped friend fill in the form, did not find it difficult and told him I fully expected it to be defunct by the time of the interview.

I thought it was silly, badly put together and illogical.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• Captain Ewok changed the title to Public Charge Rule Dead?
1 hour ago, klam133 said:

I just closed up my AOS application and getting ready to get it sent. Should i take the I-944 form out? or just let it be and the USCIS officer will just ignore the application?

I would take it out.

One of the documents that you will submit with the I-130 is a guarantee that you will support the person (s) on the petition. You are also prohibited from availing any public money. This has always been part of the package. We got hung up at the Manila embassy because I didn't do a separate form for my step daughter. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

On March 9th, the Biden administration halted the new U.S. Department of Homeland Security public charge rule, a Trump-era policy that made it much harder to obtain a green card based on a host of new factors, such as income, age, education, and employment history.

What this means

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) no longer requires Form I-944 (officially called the “Declaration of Self-Sufficiency”) or its supporting documents as part of the green card application. Therefore you do not need to include Form I-944 and related documents — such as education, health insurance, and asset documents — in your application packet. 

The public charge rule isn’t going away completely — the latest version of the rule, which first took effect on Feb. 24, 2020, will simply be replaced by the previous, longstanding policy issued in 1999.

On 3/9/2021 at 2:53 PM, Jody and Misho said:

Not sure if this helps answer—i944 is discontinued:

https://www.uscis.gov/i-944

8 hours ago, JeanBill said:

One of the documents that you will submit with the I-130 is a guarantee that you will support the person (s) on the petition. You are also prohibited from availing any public money. This has always been part of the package. We got hung up at the Manila embassy because I didn't do a separate form for my step daughter. 

That is form I-864 (or form I-134 for embassies), Affidavit of Support, that you must include with I-130. What now is dead and no longer needed is form I-944, Declaration of Self sufficiency. Completely separate forms.

Edited by powerpuff

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.