dazedandconfused2

Married to US Citizen, left to visit Canada but now denied re-entry to the US by CBP officer -- Help!

115 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I am sure many people do work remotely, the problem arises when it comes up, what do you do how can you be away from your work so long etc etc. 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

Follow the Guides on VJ.

Your wife files an I-130 to start the immigration process.  As stated earlier, it's 12-18 months for you to get an immigration visa.  Upon entry into the US with your immigration visa, you automatically get a green card.  It's not 3 months, absolutely no way.   You do not apply for a green card within the US.

It doesn't matter that you worked for a Canadian company.  Your visa free entry into the US does not authorize you to work from inside the US. 

Thanks for letting me know. I was not aware of 90% of this information. 

So we file I-130. Only difficulty is trying to prove bonafided marriage whilst I'm in a different country. Cannot open joint bank accounts, lease agreements won't work etc (we got married less than one month ago). Say I-130 gets approved by some miracle of nature... now I am in the US as a green card holder, I have two years? 

Then I can apply for the 10 year green card? 

7 minutes ago, dazedandconfused2 said:

An immigration lawyer I just spoke to said he has a case last month where his client got in on a I-130 petition in 3 months. Seems like a one off 

A petition could potentially be approved in 3 months.  But, have you looked into the wait times for interviews at Montreal?  I believe there are people on VJ who have been waiting at least a year just for an interview.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

We are trying to help you.  Everything that we have told you is the truth.  

You need to take this seriously.  The down side is deportation and a 5 years ban.

It will take 12-18 months for a spousal visa.  Your days of visiting the US are over.  Your wife will have to visit you in Canada.  

Just now, dazedandconfused2 said:

So we file I-130. Only difficulty is trying to prove bonafided marriage whilst I'm in a different country. Cannot open joint bank accounts, lease agreements won't work etc (we got married less than one month ago). Say I-130 gets approved by some miracle of nature... now I am in the US as a green card holder, I have two years? 

Evidence of time together is proof. They also understand that newly wed couples may not have a lot of evidence. Ask your wife to add your name to insurance policies and to her bank account if she can. 

You get the 2-year green card if you are approved BEFORE your 2-year wedding anniversary. If this happens, then yes you will need to apply for the 10-year green card (process is called Removal of Conditions).

1 minute ago, dazedandconfused2 said:

Read the guides.  Have your wife read them.  Re-read them.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
1 minute ago, dazedandconfused2 said:

Joint bank accounts, lease agreements, etc. are only a few examples of having a commingled life as husband and wife.  Your airline tickets to see each other, your correspondences, etc. are other examples of a commingled life to show a bona fide relationship.  

If you enter the US on your spousal visa before your 2nd wedding anniversary, then you get a 2 years conditional green card.  You will have to file for Removal of Conditions for a 10 years green card.

if you enter the US on your spousal visa after your 2nd wedding anniversary, then you get a 10 years green card.

15 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

Joint bank accounts, lease agreements, etc. are only a few examples of having a commingled life as husband and wife.  Your airline tickets to see each other, your correspondences, etc. are other examples of a commingled life to show a bona fide relationship.  

If you enter the US on your spousal visa before your 2nd wedding anniversary, then you get a 2 years conditional green card.  You will have to file for Removal of Conditions for a 10 years green card.

if you enter the US on your spousal visa after your 2nd wedding anniversary, then you get a 10 years green card.

Okay, so I just got married and can't see my spouse for almost two years maybe. Depending on the visa's etc. 

What if she decides to divorce me during this process? 

Do you guys recommend CR1 or I-130? And were you filing as individuals or with a lawyer? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
8 minutes ago, dazedandconfused2 said:

Okay, so I just got married and can't see my spouse for almost two years maybe. Depending on the visa's etc. 

Do you guys recommend CR1 or I-130? And were you filing as individuals or with a lawyer? 

Why can she not visit you?

Many people on this site have to do the visiting.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

4 minutes ago, dazedandconfused2 said:

Again, read the guides. The I-130 is the petition that eventually would lead to a CR-1 or IR-1 visa. If you divorce before receiving the visa, you will not longer be eligible for the visa. The visa is meant for family reunification.

Your spouse can travel to you  to see you. Most people here have been separated from their loved ones for months or years during this process; it is a consequence of having an international relationship.

A lawyer can not speed things up. They will tell you which documents to provide, and you will still have to do most of the work. I normally tell people they can easily file themselves, but it looks like you could use some help figuring it all out, so maybe a lawyer would not be a bad idea in your case if you can afford one.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.