Globetrekker123

Time to enter US after I-129F approval

14 posts in this topic

Your fiancé cannot enter the US after getting NOA2. She or he has to get the K-1 visa from the US consulate in his or her country of residence (assuming the consulate is operating and working on K-1s). If he or she receives the visa in the passport, your fiancé has 6 months to enter the US. After the entry, 90 days to marry.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Once a visa has been issued, the holder must enter the US before the expiration date printed on the visa.  The expiration date will be up to 6 months from the date the medical exam was completed.  

Once the visa holder enters the US, marriage must take place within 90 days of entry.  It is strongly advised to apply for adjustment of status within that same 90 day period.

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

your fiancé has 6 months to enter the US.

Up to 6 months from the date of the medical exam.

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Please do a timeline and ID the country you are dealing with

keep the timeline up to date and continue with posting reviews about your POE and embassy interview/ this  helps a lot who will follow u

some embassies are doing a few K1's but most still are in a lockdown for visa services

doing a timeline helps the VJ community answer your questions

and helps the site with stats (which everyone wants to see )

Timeline
22 minutes ago, Globetrekker123 said:

After the approval of the initial I-129F form (NOA 2), how much time does the fiance have to enter the US

It is impossible to estimate based on the NAO2 date since every case is different, and there are several factors such as workload at the consulate, required administrative processing after the interview, etc.  However, the expiration date of an issued visa is up to 6 months from the date the medical exam was done.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

I highly recommend you educate yourself prior to applying for this visa to make sure this is the correct path you want to take 

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 hours ago, Globetrekker123 said:

Hello,

After the approval of the initial I-129F form (NOA 2), how much time does the fiance have to enter the US, assuming that everything goes well afterwards and a K-1 visa is eventually granted ??

And what about time to get married ? 

Thanks...

The foreign fiancée cannot enter the US until the visa has been granted and is in hand. Because of Covid restrictions and depending on what country you are dealing with it could be several months to over a year until your fiancée receives the visa. You have six months time to enter the US once visa is in hand. 

Timeline
11 minutes ago, NoMansLand2020 said:

You have six months time to enter the US once visa is in hand. 

Not necessarily.  The expiration date will be up to 6 months from the date the medical exam was conducted....

Edited by Lucky Cat

4 hours ago, Globetrekker123 said:

Hello,

After the approval of the initial I-129F form (NOA 2), how much time does the fiance have to enter the US, assuming that everything goes well afterwards and a K-1 visa is eventually granted ??

Thanks...

It has nothing to do with the approval of the petition.  Approved petitions have just been sitting at the NVC, since K-1 interviews are not happening for the most part.

Like others have said, the visa is valid for six months after the medical.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Generally, the i-129f approval is only valid for 4 months, but the embassy can extend the validity with 4 months at a time for up to 1 year at most. 

So the answer to your question is within 1 year of the i-129f approval.

Edited by Scandi

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
20 minutes ago, Scandi said:

Generally, the i-129f approval is only valid for 4 months, but the embassy can extend the validity with 4 months at a time for up to 1 year at most. 

It can be extended longer than one year. Because of covid-19, many people have already reached that one year period and cases are still stuck at NVC

2 hours ago, Scandi said:

No, it can be longer than 1 year: https://fam.state.gov/fam/09FAM/09FAM050207.html "the consular officer may revalidate the petition any number of times for additional periods of four months from the date of revalidation, provided the officer concludes that the petitioner and the beneficiary remain legally free to marry and continue to intend to marry each other within 90 days after the beneficiary's admission into the United States."

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
22 hours ago, Globetrekker123 said:

Hello,

Thanks...

After the visa is issued, typically you have up to 6 months to travel on that visa.  Once you arrive in the U.S., you have 90 days to get married.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.