Hopeworld

Me vs parents petitioning for siblings

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Guys...I'm so lost and don't know what to do.
I'm a US citizen and my goal is to get my 2 siblings (and parents) to live with me.

I thought, if I petition for my parents and they come, it will be quicker for them to petition for siblings.
I even thought after my parents come here, all 3 of us could petition for my siblings together so it will go faster. I believed a parent petitioning for a child is quicker than a sibling doing it.
But now I heard that because my sister and brother are both married (& have kids), my parents can't petition for them until my parents become citizen (which means we have to wait 5 years after my parents are approved and received their greencard).

I already have petitioned for my parents, the only thing left for me to send in is proof of my income and taxes and affidavit of support.

So I thought of some options:

OPTION A:
========
Me petitioning for siblings right now while finishing the petition for my parents simultaneously

OPTION B:
=========
My siblings getting a divorce. And when my parents get approved, me and my parents petition for my siblings (not their partners or children).
When my siblings get approved, they can re-marry a month before and petition for their spouse and children.

The first question is, what would allow my siblings to come quickest?
if I go with option A, do I need to show that I made enough money for my self, siblings parents AND their children.
if I go with option B, what if this loophole has been sealed and they might say you can't petition for your ex-spouse for what ever reason?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Indeed, your parents have to be citizens before they can petition for married children, and the wait for married children is almost as long as it is for siblings. So you petitioning for your siblings now will ultimately be the fastest way to get them here. No other shortcuts. Sorry...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

With option A, it's the question about how much income I need that is an issue.
Do I petition for my siblings, their spouses AND Children?

1. My brother

2. His wife
   3. Currently 1 child  (1.5 years old)

4.  My sister

5. Her husband

6. Child 1  (8 years old)

7. Child 2   (10 years old)

Question 1:

Do I petition for my siblings, their spouses AND Children? Or how many people do I need to petition for?

Question 2:

The section where it says "Add $5,600 for each additional person" in:   https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p
If my income is not enough, can I show a bank statement of how much my siblings have in their danish bank?
Not sure how this will be considered as proof as the amount in the bank is not a guarantee if you know what I mean.

Thank you !!!

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

You file separate I-130 for each sibling; one I-130 for your brother and another I-130 for your sister.  The spouses and eligible children of each sibling would be derivative beneficiaries on their respective I-130.  

When the Priority Date becomes current in about 14 years, spouses and eligible children with CSPA age under 21 are eligible for immigration visas.  Since your sister's children are 8 and 10, they may age out and not be able to immigrate with their mother.  

Do not worry about the I-864.  That doesn't matter when you file the I-130.  The I-864 comes into play when their Priority Dates becomes current in about 14 years.  If your income and assets are not enough at that time, then you can use the intending immigrants' assets and Joint Sponsors.  

Edited by aaron2020

13 minutes ago, Hopeworld said:

Do I petition for my siblings, their spouses AND Children?

Yes, it is your household plus the sibling(s) plus their households that all need to be sponsored that add up to the # of people calculated in the tables here https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p . You only need to show that when they get to the point of getting their visas though, it’s not necessary to do now.

Edited by SusieQQQ

14 minutes ago, Hopeworld said:

If my income is not enough, can I show a bank statement of how much my siblings have in their danish bank?
Not sure how this will be considered as proof as the amount in the bank is not a guarantee if you know what I mean.

Again you don’t need to do this for a long time but if you look at the instructions on the I864 there is a section about using the assets of the intending immigrant, see page 9 part 7 https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/i-864instr-pc.pdf

7 hours ago, Hopeworld said:

My siblings getting a divorce. And when my parents get approved, me and my parents petition for my siblings (not their partners or children).

Really?  Isn't Denmark the happiest country in the world?  Why such a huge rush to bring them?

Are you sure you’re from Denmark?

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

In 20 years whatever who knows if the children will be interested in moving to the US.

Assuming they are still eligible, unlikely with the oilder 2.

Anyway best if you want to is file and forget, see what the situation is much nearer the time.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.