Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public CONTINUED

2,920 posts in this topic

I hope everyone is having an amazing Friday. I am in process of collecting documents for our interview and have a question

My wife initially filed her 2019 taxes as singles because of our accountants suggestion but then we amended those and filed as married filed jointly and I also received and ITIN number. My wife requested tax transcript from IRS and when it arrived on Wednesday, it still shows her marital status as single, so I believe we cannot use it. So for interview purpose should I take the 1040 and the whole amended 2019 return with W2's OR should we work with IRS to reflect changes on the transcript? Thank you!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
19 hours ago, Stylereveal said:

Are you coming back to Canada? As there are so many restrictions now even for border crossings. I too was able to activate my visa but just turned back before all the changes happened. 

No, I'm not coming back to Canada anytime soon. I was able to fit all of my stuff in the minivan I rented thankfully as I didn't need to bring over any furniture/large items, and I gifted my car to a family member to avoid dealing with the process of importing it since it's not American made. Glad to hear you were able to turn around before all the changes came into effect!

Timeline
On 2/13/2021 at 1:16 PM, Specter said:

Hello, Arrived to the States yesterday, POE: Toronto Pearson International(YYZ). Everyone was nice and took around 1 hour to process everything. The airport was completely empty, which saved me a lot of my time. Please be aware about the COVID-19 Test (USA now requires COVID-19 negative test report to board the flight). Everything was smooth otherwise. Thanks for everything this forum has offered.

About SSN, Do I have to apply somewhere or it will just arrive at the same address of my GC? Thanks!

Hi there would mind providing more info on your experience? Do you just go through security and as you normally would and then when you get to the CBP counter you tell them you’re activating your visa? 
did they ask you any questions about what you’re bringing or did you have an inventory list prepared? 
Also curious about the time of your flight? Mine is at 645am and I’m worried about timing because CATSA/CBP sometimes doesn’t open until 5am. Do you think they will laugh in my face if I tell them I have a flight to catch? 😬

so incredibly anxious. Thank you for sharing your experience! 

Timeline

Could anyone who went through POE at Pearson describe their experience? 
leaving on Monday for a flight at 645am. I’m concerned about timing since CATSA/CBP don’t usually open until 4:30/5:00. Does secondary processing always take an hour? Are they nice? What kinds of questions do they ask/what documents do they want to see? 

thank you, extremely anxious over here, probably over thinking it but want to be prepared for anything! 

20 hours ago, EJOyamot said:

Could anyone who went through POE at Pearson describe their experience? 
leaving on Monday for a flight at 645am. I’m concerned about timing since CATSA/CBP don’t usually open until 4:30/5:00. Does secondary processing always take an hour? Are they nice? What kinds of questions do they ask/what documents do they want to see? 

thank you, extremely anxious over here, probably over thinking it but want to be prepared for anything! 

https://www.visajourney.com/reviews/poereviews.php?poe=Toronto&dfilter=0 Here are some Toronto POE reviews

March 2019: Married, Filed I-130 in April 2019

AOS: Filed June 10, 2020, Received June 13, 2020, Cheque cashed July 16

(I-130 approved in Oct 2019 because we were originally doing consular CR-1 processing)
NOAs July 24 (dated July 17) 2020
Biometrics Jan 7, 2021 (notice dated Dec 12, received Dec 22)
Case updated to 'Interview Scheduled' (Jan 19, 2021, received letter Jan 25)

February 24! Interview! New Card being produced!

Feb 25, 2021: Case approved.

March 1, 2021: Card was mailed

March 4, 2021: Green Card Received! 🥳

March 25, 2021: SSN Application
March 29, 2021: Received SSN
Dec 5, 2022: I-751 ROC Delivered to Lockbox

Timeline
2 hours ago, KAP2019 said:

Thanks I just checked it out, unfortunately the most recent review is from January 2020 then it quickly goes back to 2012. I’m looking for more recent info ideally. 

also wondering if I can check my bags as normal or if I have to bring them to customs? 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, EJOyamot said:

also wondering if I can check my bags as normal or if I have to bring them to customs? 

I am doing POE at Pearson this week as well and was wondering the same. I had planned to just ask at the counter when I'm checking in for the flight, let them know that I'm activating a visa and see if they think I need to take my bags with me.

Timeline
Just now, Allis0n said:

I am doing POE at Pearson this week as well and was wondering the same. I had planned to just ask at the counter when I'm checking in for the flight, let them know that I'm activating a visa and see if they think I need to take my bags with me.

I guess I will do the same! 
I tried to call CBP at Pearson over 10 times. Was never able to get through. I hate that it’s all a guessing game. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, EJOyamot said:

I hate that it’s all a guessing game. 

I know what you mean. Honestly though, I've started just telling myself, if the information isn't readily available, it's likely not super important, or it's the type of thing you're meant to just find out when you arrive. I'm sure the people at the check-in counter will know, because I'd imagine they've talked to many people who are coming to immigrate and activate a visa. Please report back and let us know how it went!

Timeline
30 minutes ago, EJOyamot said:

I’m pretty sure you’ll check your bags as normal. Even if your connection is Toronto... if they want to see your bags in secondary, they will have them pulled but I doubt that will happen tbh

Timeline
1 hour ago, EJOyamot said:

1 hour ago, Allis0n said:

It's not Pearson but I flew from Vancouver (likely similar process since they're both preclearance) in November and checked my bags as normal. They didn't ask about them and I had no issues in secondary.

I am not a lawyer and nothing I say is or should be taken as legal advice. 

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

Spoiler

Married: August 18th 2018

I-130 Sent: September 18th 2018

PD: September 20th 2018 TSC

NOA1 Received: October 5th 2018
Case Inquiry: July 13th 2019 

Case Inquiry Response: July 24th 2019 - in line for processing.

Escalated Case Inquiry: August 6th 2019 - tier 2 found that internal status was "in background check" despite results coming back 4 months prior.

Escalated Case Inquiry Response: August 7th 2019 - case was "delayed" because they had to "perform additional review" 🙄 case now with an officer.

NOA2: August 22nd 2019 (336 days)

Sent to DOS: September 5th 2019

NVC Received: September 13th 2019

Case Number: October 9th 2019

DS-260 Completed: October 28th 2019

NVC Docs Uploaded: October 29th 2019

DQ: December 18th 2019

Became IR1: August 18th 2020

IL: October 13th 2020

Interview: November 2nd 2020

Visa Received: November 5th 2020

POE: November 8th 2020

GC Received: January 23rd 2021

CR1/IR1 Montreal FAQ:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k927pE5wqzTN5n0lPYZ1JQxgbmnzmNWX5hSteyii0BY/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.