stag

K1 Visa & Church ceremony

54 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, metuchen said:

But why? We are not getting married, we are simply doing a small party to celebrate our engagement and her going away. The wedding would be in the States.

You started this thread with saying you wanted to do a 'non-legal' church ceremony in your home country, and now it is a 'small party.'

You are free to do what you want, but we have seen denials for such events, even if it just creates the perception that you are already married.  

Just now, Jorgedig said:

You started this thread with saying you wanted to do a 'non-legal' church ceremony in your home country, and now it is a 'small party.'

You are free to do what you want, but we have seen denials for such events, even if it just creates the perception that you are already married.  

I'm simply trying to understand what is allowed and what is not, since I'm still learning the ins and outs of this process. I haven't made concrete plans yet and want to make plans based on the safest and legal route. The way I understand it now is that such a church marriage ceremony, even if not legal, is a big risk, which I didn't know and good I now know.

Removal of Conditions (I-751)
2/17/24: I-751 packet shipped via FedEx

2/20/24: I-751 packet delivered

2/22/24: Receipt Number available on USCIS Portal

2/27/24: Extension Letter Available Online, Biometric Re-use letter, "Case is being actively reviewed"

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline
7 hours ago, NandV said:

We are planning on doing the marriage ceremony in the US and then after all the paperwork is done (AOS), we will go back to his country to do another celebration there. From what I've read on these forums, it is not recommended to have any type of celebration that can be seen as a wedding until after the K1 is completed (which is entry into the US)

This is what we are doing as well. Our wedding in Sydney has had some deposits paid for but we are going to have to end up pushing it another year to makes sure AOS is complete. Didn't want to risk anything! 😕 

we last saw each other: March 2020
I-129F sent: 12/24/2020

USCIS received: 12/29/2020

NOA1 notice date: 2/27/2021

NOA1 receipt date (backdated): 12/28/2020

NOA2: 08/11/2021

NOA2 paper copy: 08/18/2021

NVC received: 08/25/2021

NVC number issued: 09/01/2021

But you can just go back and have your church wedding as soon as your future spouse gets an EAD/Travel authorization card. My husband and I got married in the US and then when he got his card 6 months later, we were already booked on a flight back to his home country. Why jeopardize anything?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
10 hours ago, NandV said:

We are planning on doing the marriage ceremony in the US and then after all the paperwork is done (AOS), we will go back to his country to do another celebration there. From what I've read on these forums, it is not recommended to have any type of celebration that can be seen as a wedding until after the K1 is completed (which is entry into the US)

That is the best route to go.  For the K-1 interview, showing the embassy photos closely relating to a wedding ceremony would be a no-go as it can show you and your fiance are already married.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
10 hours ago, NandV said:

This is exactly what we did.  We also webcast the wedding ceremony here in the US and did it at a convenient time for those back in Russia could watch it.

To the OP, I cannot add much more than what others have already posted. The realities of life and the realities of immigration are sometimes opposed.  Some of the responses may sound harsh, but we have seen many denials of K1s for such actions as you suggest. 

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

24 minutes ago, Dashinka said:

We also webcast the wedding ceremony here in the US and did it at a convenient time for those back in Russia could watch it.

This is a great idea and will hopefully help the couple fulfill any sense of obligation they may have to family and friends in the fiancé's home country.

I've attended a Zoom wedding and it was a lot more fun than I thought it would be (mostly because of the group chat and reuniting with old family and friends scattered all over the world).

Edited by Adventine

It what help to know what country your fiancé is from. Some embassies are more sensitive to an engagement party than others.

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
8 hours ago, metuchen said:

But why? We are not getting married, we are simply doing a small party to celebrate our engagement and her going away. The wedding would be in the States.

It is not what you said in your original post.

" My wish was to do a church ceremony in the country of origin (there is no legal effect in that country)" 

I totally understand that your parents might want that, but they will have to wait until you come back to visit (when u will have EAD or GC) and do it then if it doesn't have any legal effect. It wouldn't matter to them, but they still would get the church ceremony after you entered the US on your K1.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
8 hours ago, metuchen said:

Because a church service is a legal marriage in the US 

Give up your plan or marry and apply the CR1

one woman went to our country Morocco (to meet her fiancee) and liked Henna so she had it done

and when she sent her trip photos in for a K1,  she was denied as "too married" as Henna is part of a marriage ceremony

another was wearing a ring and was turned back at the POE as the ring is also a symbol

customs and immigration at the POE look at all things and she could be turned back if they even suspect a religious or cultural type of marriage ceremony

and i would like to ask "why if just an engagement party,  you do it after the K1 approval and not before applying for the K1?"

3 minutes ago, ineedadisplayname said:

It is not what you said in your original post.

" My wish was to do a church ceremony in the country of origin (there is no legal effect in that country)" 

I totally understand that your parents might want that, but they will have to wait until you come back to visit (when u will have EAD or GC) and do it then if it doesn't have any legal effect. It wouldn't matter to them, but they still would get the church ceremony after you entered the US on your K1.

Yes I see, I'm simply trying to understand what is permissible and what is not. I haven't planned anything yet, because I want to know what is the correct thing to do with this K1. Based off of what I've heard, I won't do it how I thought I could. It actually might be easier to get visas for her parents so they can attend the wedding ceremony here in the States. 

2/27/24: Extension Letter Available Online, Biometric Re-use letter, "Case is being actively reviewed"

8 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

and i would like to ask "why if just an engagement party,  you do it after the K1 approval and not before applying for the K1?"

It's something we had planned for last year but because of Pandemic restrictions couldn't do it. So at least was thinking to do a small party before she leaves given Pandemic situation is better. 

Edited by metuchen

9 hours ago, metuchen said:

Yes this is good to know. What if we just have a small celebration in her home country? Like an engagement party (but after the visa is given)? Because of COVID we couldn't do it in person unfortunately. 

Yes I understand and definitely don't want to do anything that goes against the rules and trying to learn more about what is right and wrong to do. Is it all right to just have a small engagement party in her home country (even after she gets the visa)? We couldn't do it in person beforehand because of the pandemic. 

I had an engagement party with my family back home and it was fine. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.