Captain Ewok

Biden's Plans for US Immigration (Big Changes)

174 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Dashinka said:

I am curious if Joe Biden will re-open the international USCIS offices.

Who knows 🤷

In the following outdated page it says: https://www.uscis.gov/archive/international-operations

Our international workload is diverse and can be separated into three general areas: Immigration Services, Fraud Detection and Deterrence, and Inter- and Intra-Government Liaison.

• Immigration Services

International officers are responsible for adjudicating a wide variety of petitions and applications filed internationally, providing information services, and issuing travel documents to people in a wide variety of circumstances.

In addition to the general public applying for travel documents to enter the US, officers posted abroad also assist:

• U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, asylees, and refugees who wish to bring relatives to the U.S.;
  • People who have been persecuted or fear persecution who wish to resettle in the U.S.;
  • U.S. citizens who wish to adopt internationally;
  • People who cannot immigrate to the U.S. for specific reasons and who wish to have those reasons waived;
  • Members of the U.S. military stationed abroad and their families who wish to become U.S. citizens;
  • People who may qualify to enter the U.S. because they are recognized by law as being members of specific categories with a special need, such as widows or widowers of U.S. citizens; and
  • Lawful permanent residents who have traveled internationally and have lost their green cards.

International staff provide valuable information services. In addition to responding to written requests for information and phone calls, all offices maintain a public information window where members of the public can ask questions in person. The windows are mostly serviced by foreign nationals who can provide information in local residents’ native languages.

International staff also provide logistical support to teams of refugee officers from the USCIS Refugee Affairs Division who travel abroad to assist refugees for resettlement in the U.S.

• Fraud Detection and Deterrence

Overseas verifications have long been the foundation of IO’s fraud detection and deterrence efforts. During an overseas verification, an officer may use a wide variety of techniques to determine, that civil registration documents are authentic or that statements made are true.

On the regional level, USCIS has deployed Fraud Detection and National Security (FDNS) officers abroad. FDNS officers are located in Mexico, Germany, India, and China and are tasked with identifying fraud trends within their respective regions and providing support to their respective districts on fraud detection and national security-related initiatives.

IO also works closely with other federal entities, such as the Department of State’s Fraud Prevention Units. Through comprehensive coordination and communication of efforts on the local, regional, and global levels, IO is positioned to strengthen the overall integrity of the U.S. immigration system.

• Inter- and Intra-Government Liaison

An important function of the international offices is to provide technical expertise on immigration-related matters to U.S. government agencies abroad, including other Department of Homeland Security components, the Department of State and the Department of Defense. International offices also provide U.S. immigration information to and partner with foreign governments to further the USCIS mission.

On 11/9/2020 at 10:23 AM, JFH said:

I am curious about this too. I have seen more than one poster here who has filed petitions for upwards of a dozen family members (parents and many siblings). The siblings also have spouses and children. Will these “temporary visas” allow them to work? Without the public charge rule in place I foresee dozens of family members arriving on day one without adequate housing, lack of financial support. This will lead to people living in overcrowded conditions and place a strain on resources such as schools and medical care. 

I have four siblings, all married, and between them they have 9 minor children. That’s 17 people. Does he seriously think it’s right for the country and for the immigrants to add 17 people to a 3-bed 2-bath home, in an area of higher-than-average unemployment and without verifying that I even make enough to feed them all? 

In researching my earlier topic, I found that to sponsor, you have to show gross income at 125% of the poverty level. For 2020 that is $19,000 a year for a two person household. Your income then would need to be $24,000 per year. Someone who gets $24,000 a year would then be $5000 over the poverty level. That is only $416 a month above living in poverty. Assuming the poverty level income does not include the $400 a month that family would pay for ACA, if they got it, they would in fact be living at or below the poverty line. If they didn't pay for ACA and a medical emergency occurred, they would be in serious trouble.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline
On 11/8/2020 at 5:38 PM, Luckycuds said:

I’m thinking the I864 will still be required- it’s the new forms that were implemented this year that won’t be required (this is my interpretation)

Public charge is a sponsored immigrant coming to the US still files the I-864. Public charge means the way it is now because of Trump.. an immigrant cannot be on any form of assistance programs. Like food stamps, public housing or section 8, medical (state or federal), etc. The immigrant will still need to be sponsored. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
2 hours ago, adipo21 said:

Did they anything about bringing siblings over to the American?

Unless there is actually Comprehensive Immigration Reform, which has been talked about for as long as I can recollect, I would not expect anything to happen.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uruguay
Timeline

It's obvious that this crossed my mind that the US Citizen has become a slave to the illegal immigrant by supporting them including by wasting money and taxes. I mean we still have them leeching off from the public and private benefits anyway, mostly from what I've known from hearing from other people when I worked in retail and they all run their mouth off telling me what when where and such. I mean honestly, I can't do much if I don't know much to report but then how can I be sure if it's real or not without going in person and taking a look at it myself, which could be dangerous anyway?

It does make me not want to be a US Citizen for this. But then I don't know how it work out in the other country if it's the same there or not.

K-1 Visa process (I'm the USC [F]) [2018-2019]

Spoiler

Sent packet: August 10, 2018 (Lines Compressed to fit signature restriction guideline)

USCIS Received package: August 14 - Notification in text/email: August 17 - Mail received from USCIS: January 22, 2019
USCIS Approved I-129F Petition: January 17 - NVC Received Case: February 14 - NVC Case # Assigned: February 14

US Embassy Received: Not sure but got email reply - March 11 - Instructions Received via e-mail: March 19

Interview: May 7 - Approved! - Arriving to US/POE: June 12 - Married July 15, 2019

AOS Process [2019-2020]

Spoiler

Sent packet: July 27, 2019 - USCIS Received Package: July 29 - [Hiccup] Package was sent back due to incorrect fee and sent on August 5.
Notification in text/email: August 12 @ 12:30AM - Check cashed: August 12 - NOA 1 Mail: August 16 - Biometric: September 5 @ Atlanta, GA

AOS RFIE: Sept. 28 - got in mail by Oct 3. [They lost my Husband's Birth Certificate] - Sent back AOS RFIE: Oct 16 2019, at office by Oct 17.
AOS Case update notice on April 9th, 2020, waiting for mail. - Interview date: Scheduled as of July 15, date is August 19. Passed the interview!

My Husband got his GC! 2 Year Conditional Green Card expires 08/19/2022, Residence since 08/19/2020

ROC Process [2022-2024]

Spoiler

Sent packet: June 16, 2022 via USPS, USCIS Received Package: June 21
Notice in text (didn't get email nor text on other phone): June 24
Notice date: June 23, package is at SRC (Texas Service Center), Paid with Credit Card, payment taken on June 25
NOA 1 Mail: June 30, Biometric: Reused
Got letter in mail for extension: April 12th, Received date June 21, 2022, Notice date: April 5, 2023 = 48 Months Extension. No physical card yet.
Approved without interview as of Feb 15th, 2024. Was not a combo interview with N-400.

Naturalization N-400 [2023-...]

Spoiler

Filed Online: July 28, 2023NOA: July 29, 2023
Service Center: NBC, application # starts with IOE#.
Biometrics waived. Got NOA mail Jan 5, 2024 says Interview in Nashville, TN on Feb 6, 2024.
Queue for review and approval. Already in line for Oath Ceremony as of Feb 13th, 2024.

22 minutes ago, WaterLeaf said:

It's obvious that this crossed my mind that the US Citizen has become a slave to the illegal immigrant by supporting them including by wasting money and taxes. I mean we still have them leeching off from the public and private benefits anyway, mostly from what I've known from hearing from other people when I worked in retail and they all run their mouth off telling me what when where and such. I mean honestly, I can't do much if I don't know much to report but then how can I be sure if it's real or not without going in person and taking a look at it myself, which could be dangerous anyway?

It does make me not want to be a US Citizen for this. But then I don't know how it work out in the other country if it's the same there or not.

What would you be looking at to find out if the people were undocumented or not? You can't walk up to someone and demand to see their papers. 

Timeline
51 minutes ago, laylalex said:

What would you be looking at to find out if the people were undocumented or not? You can't walk up to someone and demand to see their papers. 

Well I know people and they told me. 

Actually one is sitting about 6ft away, admittedly now filed to adjust.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uruguay
Timeline
8 hours ago, laylalex said:

Well I don't have a system to verify it. I can only report whatever info to submit. But then it's annoying task and the USCIS has opened tip/reports to whoever want. They don't send someone out to check and verify. People move around a lot too.

But people to ask for info and demand papers. If you haven't heard about how often that is done, well you couldn't be any more surprised than what they didn't know.

Edited by WaterLeaf

K-1 Visa process (I'm the USC [F]) [2018-2019]

Spoiler

Sent packet: August 10, 2018 (Lines Compressed to fit signature restriction guideline)

USCIS Received package: August 14 - Notification in text/email: August 17 - Mail received from USCIS: January 22, 2019
USCIS Approved I-129F Petition: January 17 - NVC Received Case: February 14 - NVC Case # Assigned: February 14

US Embassy Received: Not sure but got email reply - March 11 - Instructions Received via e-mail: March 19

Interview: May 7 - Approved! - Arriving to US/POE: June 12 - Married July 15, 2019

AOS Process [2019-2020]

Spoiler

Sent packet: July 27, 2019 - USCIS Received Package: July 29 - [Hiccup] Package was sent back due to incorrect fee and sent on August 5.
Notification in text/email: August 12 @ 12:30AM - Check cashed: August 12 - NOA 1 Mail: August 16 - Biometric: September 5 @ Atlanta, GA

AOS RFIE: Sept. 28 - got in mail by Oct 3. [They lost my Husband's Birth Certificate] - Sent back AOS RFIE: Oct 16 2019, at office by Oct 17.
AOS Case update notice on April 9th, 2020, waiting for mail. - Interview date: Scheduled as of July 15, date is August 19. Passed the interview!

My Husband got his GC! 2 Year Conditional Green Card expires 08/19/2022, Residence since 08/19/2020

ROC Process [2022-2024]

Spoiler

Sent packet: June 16, 2022 via USPS, USCIS Received Package: June 21
Notice in text (didn't get email nor text on other phone): June 24
Notice date: June 23, package is at SRC (Texas Service Center), Paid with Credit Card, payment taken on June 25
NOA 1 Mail: June 30, Biometric: Reused
Got letter in mail for extension: April 12th, Received date June 21, 2022, Notice date: April 5, 2023 = 48 Months Extension. No physical card yet.
Approved without interview as of Feb 15th, 2024. Was not a combo interview with N-400.

Naturalization N-400 [2023-...]

Spoiler

Filed Online: July 28, 2023NOA: July 29, 2023
Service Center: NBC, application # starts with IOE#.
Biometrics waived. Got NOA mail Jan 5, 2024 says Interview in Nashville, TN on Feb 6, 2024.
Queue for review and approval. Already in line for Oath Ceremony as of Feb 13th, 2024.

Timeline

https://joebiden.com/immigration/

• Rejects the false choice between employment-based and family-based immigration. Each day, in every state in the country, millions of immigrants granted a visa based on family ties make valuable contributions to our country and economy. Keeping families together and allowing eligible immigrants to join their American relatives on U.S. soil is critically important, but the current system is poorly designed with per-country caps that prevent applications from being approved in a timely fashion. That means approved applicants may wait decades to be reunited with their families. As president, Biden will support family-based immigration by preserving family unification as a foundation of our immigration system; by allowing any approved applicant to receive a temporary non-immigrant visa until the permanent visa is processed; and by supporting legislation that treats the spouse and children of green card holders as the immediate relatives they are, exempting them from caps, and allowing parents to bring their minor children with them at the time they immigrate. 

18 hours ago, Boiler said:

As president, Biden will support family-based immigration by preserving family unification as a foundation of our immigration system

Keyword is "support." If Congress doesn't budge, there isn't anything the President can do in terms of creating NIV categories out of thin air. The only thing the administration can do is to internally promote circumstances to make the (legally) existent K-3 nonimmigrant visa slightly more viable. But the K-3 is only (theoretically) available for a select subset of family-based immigrants -- spouses of US citizens.

Edited by HRQX

Timeline

Well DACA is an example.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.