tanman22

K1 Why Bother

70 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

An offensive post, along with a quote of it, has been removed, and administrative action applied.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
3 hours ago, geowrian said:

Why wouldn't you be able to get married in another country (ignoring current travel conditions)? The US doesn't care if it's illegal in your home country...only that it's legal where it occurs.

"Ignoring current travel conditions" is a pretty major caveat on its own. Who knows how many months that would add to the process. (And yes, I know the K1 process itself is currently taking an unknown amount of time, but at least we can nominally get the process started now.) Plus, it's not really feasible for us now, either financially or in terms of ability to take time off from jobs, to travel to some other country to get married. And to add one more reason, even outside current travel restrictions, it's often harder for Indian citizens to get visas to other countries (particularly the countries that allow same-sex marriage). Yes, I wish there was a faster way than K1, but with so little in our control, this is the best we can do!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline
On 8/13/2020 at 3:13 AM, JacobP said:

In similar vain, I've seen cases such as same-sex couples where getting married before-hand moving might either be impossible or puts them at high risk of being socially ostracized or even persecuted, and the K-1 gave them the easiest and fastest way out.

We don't really regret filing the K-1, if we did spousal we'd probably be stuck way further back in the queue. Canada has already been well backlogged with CR/IR cases compared to other countries, you can find a number of posts complaining about the fact beforehand. With COVID, AOS/EAD/AP fee increases, and other USCIS drama flooding the year, I'd have a harder time recommending it now, and probably wouldn't pick it if I were doing this today instead of back in September. We can handle the K-1 downsides in our circumstances, even though they're being amplified, but I don't think a lot of the people who would be heading into the process of moving in with their significant other today are going to find it to be worthwhile.

We chose k-1 because of the limitations with our countries to co-owning all the things needed for the CR1. For example for us to co-sign for a bank account I would need to move to Ethiopia and give up my American citizenship to become an Ethiopia citizen. Same for owning a house or any property together. There are so many things CR1 wants to see that you merged. And vice-versa, I can't put his name on my bank account here in the US since he's not here. We would have preferred CR1 but I didn't see how it was possible.

29 minutes ago, LibbyG99 said:

We chose k-1 because of the limitations with our countries to co-owning all the things needed for the CR1. For example for us to co-sign for a bank account I would need to move to Ethiopia and give up my American citizenship to become an Ethiopia citizen. Same for owning a house or any property together. There are so many things CR1 wants to see that you merged. And vice-versa, I can't put his name on my bank account here in the US since he's not here. We would have preferred CR1 but I didn't see how it was possible.

Aren't embassies familiar with the local laws and customs? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline
13 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

Aren't embassies familiar with the local laws and customs? 

Ya but I don't think we would have made it through USCIS. I would have had to become an Ethiopian citizen to put my name on leases, bank accounts, utility bills, etc. and Ethiopia doesn't allow for dual citizenship so I would have had to give up American citizenship.

1 hour ago, LibbyG99 said:

Those types of things are not needed for, and are not expected of, a spouse who is living abroad.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

55 minutes ago, LibbyG99 said:

Ya but I don't think we would have made it through USCIS. I would have had to become an Ethiopian citizen to put my name on leases, bank accounts, utility bills, etc. and Ethiopia doesn't allow for dual citizenship so I would have had to give up American citizenship.

I really doubt it would have been a problem. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

We filed for K-1 cause it seemed to us that it was the visa that best fits our circumstances. We got engaged and we wanted to meet each other and get married. Simple and easy. With or without the pandemic, I think we would make the same decision. 

K-1 VISA

• I-129F Sent : 2020-07-12
  • I-129F NOA1 : 2020-07-15
  • I-129F NOA2 : 2021-02-25
  • NVC Received : 2021-03-29
  • NVC Left : 2021-04-13
  • Consulate Received : 2021-04-16
  • Medical : 2021-04-26
  • Interview Date : 2021-05-18
  • Visa Received : 2021-05-22
  • Arrived US : 2021-08-05

AOS

• Married : 2021-09-03
  • I-485, I-765, I-131 Sent : 2021-09-25
  • USPS Delivered: 2021-09-28
  • NOA-1 : 2021-10-01
  • Biometric Appointment Notice Text : 2021-10-02
  • Biometric Appointment Letter : 2021-10-09
  • Biometric Taken : 2021-10-29
  • EAD/AP Combo Card being produced : 2022-05-20
  • EAD/AP Combo Card Received : 2022-05-26

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Finland
Timeline

I went through a lot of back and forth trying to decide as well but I am ultimately going to go the K1 route. I think that that many of the people in this group are extremely knowledgeable and they are trying to provide the best possible insight. In many instances some of the people here may be older and wiser (I don't mean that in a rude or bad way in any way). What I am getting at is that in some cases they have the forethought about things that don't necessarily occur to us as a younger generation and I'm 35 and saying that. One of those things has to do with the adjustment of status, EAD etc. on the back end of a K1. They are trying to convey some of the difficulties of having your partner arrive in the country and not be able to work or travel internationally etc. This means that the USC becomes the sole provider and they are trying to make sure that other understand that and understand the length of time it could take for your partner to be able to start working. One of the reasons that I am still planning on going with a K1 is that I was already planning on being the main provider/sole provider and have a well establish job and career so him not being able to work right away isn't as problematic. Now if I lost my job that would cause issues. Additionally, as a woman wanting children I have to think about how to support the family if he isn't working. This means that I would need to shorten the period of time I take off for maternity leave and then go back to work ASAP to ensure that the family continues to be supported.

While I shared your thoughts that people seemed a little against K1's initially it has become much more apparent the kinds of things they are working so hard to inform us about. Honestly, it didn't fully click until my mom asked me how I would deal with supporting the family if I became pregnant, then it clicked. Knowing that, I need to make sure my timing is spot on.

:) Hope that helps. I also hope I didn't offend anyone in the process.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Same sex couple currently living in the Middle East. My partner is Kenyan so traveling to a country that permits gay marriage and allows tourists to legally marry is not an easy task due to limitations on her ability to obtain a visa. The K1 is not ideal but it’s the option we have.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.