Scandi

Passport process and required docs for new US Citizens

72 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

I have seen several people talk about how nervous they are about sending their naturalization certificate in the mail to apply for their passport.. When checking different websites it seems as if you can't even apply for a passport via mail when it's your first passport, so what do all these people mean about sending their naturalization certificate? 

After you have received your first passport and need to renew it in the future, do you THEN send your certificate somewhere? You have to send it everytime you need a passport?

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Don't have an answer for your first question. 

But for your second question, I don't think you have to resend your naturalization certificate every time you renew your passport. I think the first time to send the certificate, they capture that data, then subsequently issue a PP. Renewals will be based on that preceeding PP since it was rightfully issued. That's my thought 

Edited by Timona

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline

So that means I will never have to send my future naturalization certificate via mail for any passport at all, that sounds good. Then it won't get lost at least.

46 minutes ago, Scandi said:

I have seen several people talk about how nervous they are about sending their naturalization certificate in the mail to apply for their passport.. When checking different websites it seems as if you can't even apply for a passport via mail when it's your first passport, so what do all these people mean about sending their naturalization certificate? 

After you have received your first passport and need to renew it in the future, do you THEN send your certificate somewhere? You have to send it everytime you need a passport?

I had to go to the post office for my passport, the naturalization certificate is sent with the application and yes it's nerve wracking as it's your only proof of status until you get the passport (and expensive to replace)!

It comes back in a separate envelope to the passport (mine arrived nearly 3 weeks after) so don't have a heart attack if it doesn't come through on the same day :)

Everything crossed for a smooth and stress free journey

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

the original is sent in  the first time you apply for your new US passport 

send it via large manila envelope if you do not want it folded of take to post office where they do passport applications

1st make a copy of it for your own records (and possibility of loss)

your original will be returned in a separate envelope from the new passport and the third mailing of your proof of ID

When you renew all that is needed is old passport,  application to renew and the fee

Timeline

So from what you're saying is that I need to apply in person AND via mail? Wow, that's a pretty crazy process then. 

For the first time passport applicant, you must go to a designated passport acceptance agency/location (certain USPS locations, Court House, etc.), with your naturalization certificate.

They will verify who you are, check the form, the photo, etc. for completeness, and then they staple the naturalization certificate to the application, and they will then mail it to the proper location.

You will get the passport and naturalization certificate back in separate mailings (I presume to reduce identify theft, but not sure about their exact reasons).

We just received our passport this week, and are now waiting for the return of the naturalization certificate.

Edited by Suze1

Profile pic - Rainbow Tower of the Hilton Hawaiian Village - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii.

Why this for the profile pic?  Often in movies and on TV when they show Hawaii they show this beach/view. So, instead of doing Kauai or some other locale, we decided to do here, so that whenever some show shows Hawaii and this view, we will see where we were married.

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

2012 - US Tourist Visa, Manila, Philippines

2012 - First Night spent in the US - Waikiki Beach, Honolulu

2016 - Wedding on the beach, Honolulu, Hawaii

2016 - Honeymoon at the hotel in this photo, Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

They were filming a scene of Hawaii Five-O in the suite above ours during our Honeymoon stay! Actors everywhere!

Spouse hung out here with celebrities from the movie The Fifth Element back when he moved to Hawaii

2016 - US Spousal Visa, via DCF, Manila, Philippines

PETITIONER (from NYC)

1999 - Got a place right down the street from this hotel - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

2007 - Visited Philippines on vacation

2008 - Got a condo in Makati, PH

2012 - Considered for a role on the TV show, The Last Resort, shot out of Hawaii

SUMMARY TIMELINE

06/2011 - Met Spouse in Makati, Philippines

01/2012 - B1/B2 Tourist Visa, Manila, Philippines

10/2016 - Married in Hawaii

11/2016 - Filed for Spousal Visa DCF, in Manila, Philippines

12/2016 - POE, CR-1 Status Received

10/2018 - ROC I-751 Received by USCIS

10/2019 - Filed for Citizenship, N-400

03/2020 - Citizenship Ceremony

7 hours ago, Scandi said:

They don't have a choice.The original certificate must be sent with your first passport application. Subsequent renewals do not require the certificate to be sent.

The procedure is to make an appointment with the post office who sends off the application and certificate to the DOS.

Once the passport is issued, the certificate is sent back to you separately. If the certificate is lost, it seems the DOS pays for the replacement.

Naturalization

Son's N-400 Timeline

08/14/2020 - Sent N-400 and I-912 waiver to TX lockbox

09/18/2020 - NOA via text

06/05/2021 - Notification of biometrics scheduled

09/17/2021 - Interview - decision cannot be made

11/24/2021 - Denial letter, 30 days to appeal

12/24/2021 - Appeal sent back with I-912 waiver

12/24/2021 - Motion to terminate deportation proceedings from 2013 filed

8 hours ago, trudi said:

I had to go to the post office for my passport, the naturalization certificate is sent with the application and yes it's nerve wracking as it's your only proof of status until you get the passport (and expensive to replace)!

It comes back in a separate envelope to the passport (mine arrived nearly 3 weeks after) so don't have a heart attack if it doesn't come through on the same day :)

Did you apply after the COVID -19 shutdown? Three weeks doesn't seem all that bad, given how everything is going.

3 hours ago, Suze1 said:

For the first time passport applicant, you must go to a designated passport acceptance agency/location (certain USPS locations, Court House, etc.), with your naturalization certificate.

They will verify who you are, check the form, the photo, etc. for completeness, and then they staple the naturalization certificate to the application, and they will then mail it to the proper location.

You will get the passport and naturalization certificate back in separate mailings (I presume to reduce identify theft, but not sure about their exact reasons).

We just received our passport this week, and are now waiting for the return of the naturalization certificate.

When did you apply for the passport? How long did you have to wait to get it back?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
7 hours ago, Scandi said:

So from what you're saying is that I need to apply in person AND via mail? Wow, that's a pretty crazy process then. 

In person at post office where there is passport offices or by mail with appropiate ID like birth certificate (no one would send in original driving licence as you need that daily) / there is also a passport photo of you needed and the post office can take the photo

it is either at passport office (main post offices have this) or send in mail 

How else would you do this?   Go in person to DC to apply?

You do have to be ID'd so they know the right person is applying

3 hours ago, RunTheRoad said:

When did you apply for the passport? How long did you have to wait to get it back?

Getting back the certificate? We did not get it back yet.

Most people only wait a couple of days, but it can vary.

Will let you know when I get mine back.

(It took four months to get the passport, but that was severely covid-delayed. Again, they send the certificate separately, later.)

PASSPORT OFFICE PHOTO EXPERIENCE WARNING

Regarding photos, we took our own, at home. We took a lot - Some in the garage, some outside, some in the living room, some with a white board behind, etc.

When we got to the court house to submit the application, the clerk said she thought the background was too dark.

We did not think so, but we went back home, and took some more.

We even went to a CVS where they do passport photos. But when we compared their samples with ours, ours looked better.

When we went back to the court house with the newer, even better one we took, she still said, "It was not like the ones she is 'used to seeing'".

She went in the back of the office to speak with her supervisor, we saw the supervisor nod (agreement-type nod), and when came back out she said it "might" be okay, and then repeated her line about "Well...it is just not like what she is used to seeing'.

We told her we think it is fine. We have both had many passports and we know what a passport photo is supposed to look like.

So, we told her we are going with the one we had. She shrugged her shoulders and accepted the package.

The whole time she was pushing hard for us to pay for their photo-taking service. The photographer was right there, and the photo-taking room was right in front of her station.

We felt like she was trying to push her photo services and was biased.

Between the two visits, we ran into the photographer in the hallway, and showed him our photos, and he said they looked fine to him, too.

We made the call and went with the one we took.

And we got the passport with no problems whatsoever.

So, you can just go with their photographer, or not. Don't get railroaded by anybody.

(Not that it is very expensive, but, don't fall for any nonsense. We are DIY kind of people.)

Edited by Suze1

Profile pic - Rainbow Tower of the Hilton Hawaiian Village - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii.

Why this for the profile pic?  Often in movies and on TV when they show Hawaii they show this beach/view. So, instead of doing Kauai or some other locale, we decided to do here, so that whenever some show shows Hawaii and this view, we will see where we were married.

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

2012 - US Tourist Visa, Manila, Philippines

2012 - First Night spent in the US - Waikiki Beach, Honolulu

2016 - Wedding on the beach, Honolulu, Hawaii

2016 - Honeymoon at the hotel in this photo, Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

They were filming a scene of Hawaii Five-O in the suite above ours during our Honeymoon stay! Actors everywhere!

Spouse hung out here with celebrities from the movie The Fifth Element back when he moved to Hawaii

2016 - US Spousal Visa, via DCF, Manila, Philippines

PETITIONER (from NYC)

1999 - Got a place right down the street from this hotel - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

2007 - Visited Philippines on vacation

2008 - Got a condo in Makati, PH

2012 - Considered for a role on the TV show, The Last Resort, shot out of Hawaii

SUMMARY TIMELINE

06/2011 - Met Spouse in Makati, Philippines

01/2012 - B1/B2 Tourist Visa, Manila, Philippines

10/2016 - Married in Hawaii

11/2016 - Filed for Spousal Visa DCF, in Manila, Philippines

12/2016 - POE, CR-1 Status Received

10/2018 - ROC I-751 Received by USCIS

10/2019 - Filed for Citizenship, N-400

03/2020 - Citizenship Ceremony

Timeline
2 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

In person at post office where there is passport offices or by mail with appropiate ID like birth certificate (no one would send in original driving licence as you need that daily) / there is also a passport photo of you needed and the post office can take the photo

it is either at passport office (main post offices have this) or send in mail 

How else would you do this?   Go in person to DC to apply?

You do have to be ID'd so they know the right person is applying

Why would I go to DC? That makes zero sense. 

I read on the official website that you CAN'T apply for a passport online if it's your first passport after naturalization. It said you have to do it in person. 

That's why I was so confused about other people writing about how nervous they are about sending their naturalization certificate in the mail after becoming citizens...

And then others in this thread implied that you first go in person, and then you apply via mail afterwards. It's  extremely confusing now. 

This is what travel.state.gov says. Are these steps correct? I don't see anything about mailing anything or going to DC, only submitting in person to a passport station?

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/need-passport/apply-in-person.html

Edited by Scandi

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I don't have issues sending it in not worried if it gets lost as the post service will pay for the new one (would like to not have that headache!) 

BUT I would hate if they fold it or squeeze it i(read fold it) in the mailbox when they return it! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Scandi said:

Why would I go to DC? That makes zero sense. 

I read on the official website that you CAN'T apply for a passport online if it's your first passport after naturalization. It said you have to do it in person. 

That's why I was so confused about other people writing about how nervous they are about sending their naturalization certificate in the mail after becoming citizens...

And then others in this thread implied that you first go in person, and then you apply via mail afterwards. It's  extremely confusing now. 

This is what travel.state.gov says. Are these steps correct? I don't see anything about mailing anything or going to DC, only submitting in person to a passport station?

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/need-passport/apply-in-person.html

No you go to the post office or where ever they do the passports and then you apply there in person they will then send it in by mail to the passport agency that sits with the passport services. That's why you go in person for the first time and get it mailed in. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.