jagsfl

The new correct way of getting tax transcripts

35 posts in this topic

Hey all!

Finally, IRS has opened their phone lines back up. After an hour of being on hold, the rep told me that they are aware their website doesn't work for getting transcripts. It's because the system is turned off for now. They are also not allowing you to ask for transcripts over the phone neither.  You have to fill out the Form 4506-T. You can get it at:  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf

My only question for this is, after we print it and fill it out, do we send it to them through physical mail? and if it's by physical mail, what is the exact address to send it to?  I totally forgot to ask this on the phone.  Any insight would be great. Thanks.

Edited by jagsfl

August 15, 2019: Submitted Date
September 09, 2019 (around this date): Received NOA1

April 15, 2020: USCIS approved. Sent to National Visa Center

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline
11 minutes ago, jagsfl said:

Hey all!

Finally, IRS has opened their phone lines back up. After an hour of being on hold, the rep told me that they are aware their website doesn't work for getting transcripts. It's because the system is turned off for now. They are also not allowing you to ask for transcripts over the phone neither.  You have to fill out the Form 4506-T. You can get it at:  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf

My only question for this is, after we print it and fill it out, do we send it to them through physical mail? and if it's by physical mail, what is the exact address to send it to?  I totally forgot to ask this on the phone.  Any insight would be great. Thanks.

How long did they it will take with this form?

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Guatemala
Timeline
16 minutes ago, jagsfl said:

Hey all!

I thought they had stopped mailing transcripts?

Tax Transcripts are only available online.

We have stopped processing transcript requests by mail until further notice. If you only need to find out how much you owe or verify payments you made within the last 18 months, you can view your tax account.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline
24 minutes ago, jagsfl said:

Page 2 of the form tells you where you should mail (or fax) the form to. (The address and fax number depend upon the state you live in.)

1 hour ago, JoeMc said:

Page 2 of the form tells you where you should mail (or fax) the form to. (The address and fax number depend upon the state you live in.)

Oh whoops! OK Thanks alot!

1 hour ago, C and L said:

How long did they it will take with this form?

I did not ask, sorry. I know I should have 😕

1 hour ago, MarlinCobon said:

I thought they had stopped mailing transcripts?

Tax Transcripts are only available online.

We have stopped processing transcript requests by mail until further notice. If you only need to find out how much you owe or verify payments you made within the last 18 months, you can view your tax account.

Yeah, I asked about that. He said that online systems are off and so are phone requests for transcripts and only way to do it now is printing this form and mailing it to them.

8 hours ago, jagsfl said:

Hey all!

Thanks for this information. Out of interest, did you call the IRS phone number for individual filers or the overseas number? I ask because I spoke with a representative on the overseas helpline and she said to call back in a couple of weeks to request my transcript and never mentioned anything about Form 4506-T.

Edited by os306

4 hours ago, os306 said:

Thanks for this information. Out of interest, did you call the IRS phone number for individual filers or the overseas number? I ask because I spoke with a representative on the overseas helpline and she said to call back in a couple of weeks to request my transcript and never mentioned anything about Form 4506-T.

Very interesting. I'm curious to see what information others are getting from the IRS.  I called the IRS number for individual filers. The man I spoke with though was very confident that Form 4506-T was the way they were doing it now.

5 hours ago, jagsfl said:

Very interesting. I'm curious to see what information others are getting from the IRS.  I called the IRS number for individual filers. The man I spoke with though was very confident that Form 4506-T was the way they were doing it now.

LOL, to make things worse, I just tried to fax my completed form 4506-T to the number listed (855-298-1145) but it looks like the line is off the hook and I keep getting a "busy" tone. The only other option is to mail the form, but on the IRS website it state "We have stopped processing transcript requests by mail until further notice.". What a laughable situation.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Guatemala
Timeline
1 hour ago, os306 said:

LOL, to make things worse, I just tried to fax my completed form 4506-T to the number listed (855-298-1145) but it looks like the line is off the hook and I keep getting a "busy" tone. The only other option is to mail the form, but on the IRS website it state "We have stopped processing transcript requests by mail until further notice.". What a laughable situation.

Yes, it doesn't make any sense.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

I sent form 4506-T over a month ago. I spoke with IRS agent on the 18th and he said no one is in to process that mail. For now, I wonder if we must use our returns at the NVC stage instead of transcripts.

18 hours ago, jagsfl said:

Yeah, I asked about that. He said that online systems are off and so are phone requests for transcripts and only way to do it now is printing this form and mailing it to them.

Works fine for me...I just logged in and downloaded my 2019 transcript.

They gave you some bad info.

The website has always had issues for some people, mainly with new signups, but I can verify it still can be used to pull new transcripts.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Gambia
Timeline
21 hours ago, jagsfl said:

Hey all!

Thank u for the information I was hoping that I would know someone that’s going through this as well I been trying to get my tax transcript for the past two months since this pandemic I appreciate that!!

2 hours ago, geowrian said:

Works fine for me...I just logged in and downloaded my 2019 transcript.

They gave you some bad info.

The website has always had issues for some people, mainly with new signups, but I can verify it still can be used to pull new transcripts.

It works fine if you filed using a US address, and have a US cell phone number and credit card. 

If you filed from abroad and/or don't have a US cell phone registered under your name you are SOL as the system does not let you register. Before COVID, this was no big deal because you could simply ring up the helpline and request that the transcripts be mailed to you. This currently isn't an option.

~~moved to taxes and finances from IR1/CR1 process and procedures.  topic isn't asking about the IR1/CR1 process but is relating different ways to get tax transcripts~~

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.