jagsfl

The new correct way of getting tax transcripts

35 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, os306 said:

It works fine if you filed using a US address, and have a US cell phone number and credit card. 

If you filed from abroad and/or don't have a US cell phone registered under your name you are SOL as the system does not let you register. Before COVID, this was no big deal because you could simply ring up the helpline and request that the transcripts be mailed to you. This currently isn't an option.

No doubt there are issues for some people, as I noted. And COVID has impacted the ability to just call and request it, as you noted.

But the OP's claim is that the "online system is off" for getting transcripts via the website. This is not accurate. This is the circumstance that impacts the vast majority of people - most people can get them online still.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

3 minutes ago, geowrian said:

No doubt there are issues for some people, as I noted. And COVID has impacted the ability to just call and request it, as you noted.

But the OP's claim is that the "online system is off" for getting transcripts via the website. This is not accurate. This is the circumstance that impacts the vast majority of people - most people can get them online still.

Agreed. The online system is indeed working as my joint sponsor (who is based in the US) was able to log in and download his transcripts.

It’s unclear where the OP is located or whether they filed from a foreign address... 

1 hour ago, Laytona Campbell said:

Thank u for the information I was hoping that I would know someone that’s going through this as well I been trying to get my tax transcript for the past two months since this pandemic I appreciate that!!

You're welcome! But hey, check out some of these other comments people are saying in this thread. It seems like no one in IRS knows what they're talking about.

2 hours ago, geowrian said:

Works fine for me...I just logged in and downloaded my 2019 transcript.

They gave you some bad info.

The website has always had issues for some people, mainly with new signups, but I can verify it still can be used to pull new transcripts.

Website isn't working at all for me. I put my credit card in and always get the red error.  I filed from U.S. with U.S. cell number as os306 mentioned, and a VISA credit card. I don't understand the "mainly with new signups" part, because essentially you can't make an account unless you go through the whole process including submitting your C.C. - which is the part that I can't get past. 

August 15, 2019: Submitted Date
September 09, 2019 (around this date): Received NOA1

April 15, 2020: USCIS approved. Sent to National Visa Center

1 minute ago, jagsfl said:

Website isn't working at all for me. I put my credit card in and always get the red error.  I filed from U.S. with U.S. cell number as os306 mentioned, and a VISA credit card. I don't understand the "mainly with new signups" part, because essentially you can't make an account unless you go through the whole process including submitting your C.C. - which is the part that I can't get past. 

Unfortunately, I'm not able to troubleshoot the issue you're having. The "mainly with new signups" piece refers to people that need to create a new account. Some people have problems with the Equifax-based Identity Proofing (IDP) step. The CC verification step is also a known hiccup. The only suggestion I've seen is to verify that it's an actual credit card and not a debit/bank card. Some cards can be used as both, and it may be incorrectly seeing it as a debit card and rejecting it.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

1 minute ago, geowrian said:

Unfortunately, I'm not able to troubleshoot the issue you're having. The "mainly with new signups" piece refers to people that need to create a new account. Some people have problems with the Equifax-based Identity Proofing (IDP) step. The CC verification step is also a known hiccup. The only suggestion I've seen is to verify that it's an actual credit card and not a debit/bank card. Some cards can be used as both, and it may be incorrectly seeing it as a debit card and rejecting it.

Yeah what I mean is, each time I go and try to get my transcripts on the site, I have to restart the whole process all over again in making an account, because technically I cannot make an account until I finish the sign-up process which involves putting the C.C. in.  So each time, I go to the site, use the same email to sign up - they send a 8 digit number or whatever to put into the site, and I continue submitting answers. Then I get to C.C. and this happens.  Well, I got the Credit Card from my Wells Fargo bank, so yeah that may be the issue. 

I can get a Credit Union I use to have a credit card with I guess send me a new card - I reckon this one should work?

1 minute ago, jagsfl said:

Well, I got the Credit Card from my Wells Fargo bank, so yeah that may be the issue. 

The credit card has to be on your credit report. Use a service like Credit Karma to see what is being reported.  If you are an authorized user the credit card number being reported could be your spouses and then you would use those last 8 digits.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

1 minute ago, Paul & Mary said:

The credit card has to be on your credit report. Use a service like Credit Karma to see what is being reported.  If you are an authorized user the credit card number being reported could be your spouses and then you would use those last 8 digits.

That's a bummer. I already had a Wells Fargo credit card that would be reported in Credit Karma, but it was an American Express card which unfortunately couldn't be used. So I contacted the bank to send me a new one that's a VISA. I haven't even used it yet. I thought that may have been potentially an issue, but now you've confirmed it.

Just got another update. I called them again. This lady says that their offices are down so sending the 4506-T would not do anything at the moment. We HAVE to use the online tool to get our transcripts. If it doesn't work, use the online chat support to get help on it. What good does that do? I have no idea, I'll check tomorrow when the chat support thing is on/open.

Super frustrated about this. Until last minute I thought sending W-2s and 1040s were going to be enough, but I guess I misread the instructions for I-944. The IRS transcript is the last paper I’m missing to file for AoS. I’m going to send the 4506-t tomorrow morning and call them to see if they can help me somehow and I’ll update it here 🙏

FYI - Found another trick to try today if you are having problems with the phone number verification that is done after the credit card / reference items validation.   They filed MFS for 2019. Couple had a family plan with the carrier and the same last name.  IRS didn't accept her(the immigrant) phone number but did accept his.  We got her transcripts downloaded after they tried for a month!

Edited by Paul & Mary

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
4 hours ago, Paul & Mary said:

FYI - Found another trick to try today if you are having problems with the phone number verification that is done after the credit card / reference items validation.   They filed MFS for 2019. Couple had a family plan with the carrier and the same last name.  IRS didn't accept her(the immigrant) phone number but did accept his.  We got her transcripts downloaded after they tried for a month!

This works. I filed for 2019 with my US address. Registered an IRS account and verified using my sister’s phone number (same last name as mine). A downside to this is they send the login code to my sister when I log in to get transcripts.

9 hours ago, itscarly said:

Super frustrated about this. Until last minute I thought sending W-2s and 1040s were going to be enough, but I guess I misread the instructions for I-944. The IRS transcript is the last paper I’m missing to file for AoS. I’m going to send the 4506-t tomorrow morning and call them to see if they can help me somehow and I’ll update it here 🙏

hi Carly, I had posted right before your reply - I called them yesterday and the 4506-T won't do any good right now as their offices are closed down for that. We have to do the transcripts online.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
5 hours ago, MarlinCobon said:

hello everyone!

anybody here sent the form and obtained the transcripts? thanks

You know you could always send the form anyway and see what happens. It doesn’t cost anything but a postage stamp.
Or fax it to 855-821-0094.  Then if you get it...great. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.