2,698 posts in this topic

Timeline
17 hours ago, AMJ6 said:

Thanks for the answer, appreciate it. I don't think it's gonna be issue about filing too but I have a question about this new form I-944. I born and raised in Turkey which is having their own language and I learned English by myself. So how can I prove that I speak the language? My college degree is in Turkish and English both at the same time but it doesn't mention about anything that I got English classes in college. Do you think it's gonna help?

I submitted my passing exam from preparatory school in Turkey. If you don't have some kind of exam like TOEFL, IELTS college transcript should work. I don't even think you need a proof that you have formal education for English but I did it anyway since I had the paper around

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Dominica
Timeline
5 hours ago, Rambava said:

I got my credit report from Equifax and my credit score from my credit union bank. Should I be ordering the credit score from on the of bureaus or the bank one should be fine? Any suggestions?

5 hours ago, Rambava said:

I got my credit report from Equifax and my credit score from my credit union bank. Should I be ordering the credit score from on the of bureaus or the bank one should be fine? Any suggestions?

According to the instruction it states "

Item Numbers 11. - 12. Credit Card Score and Report. USCIS will review your U.S. credit report and the credit score submitted with your declaration, if available, to review your financial status. If it is available, identify the latest credit score number. 

You can obtain a free credit report once a year under the Fair Credit Reporting Act from each one of the three credit reporting agencies. You are only required to provide one credit report from any of the three nationwide credit reporting agencies, Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion. See https://www.usa.gov/credit-reports for more information. If there are any errors in the credit report, you should provide evidence from the credit reporting agency that demonstrates that you reported the error and that the error is under investigation or has been resolved. 

If you have any negative history in your credit report, you may provide an explanation in the designated area of this form. Negative credit history may include delinquent accounts, debt collections, charge-offs (delinquent accounts deemed unlikely to be collected), repossession, foreclosure, judgments, tax liens, or bankruptcy on your credit report. 

If you do not have a credit report or credit score, provide documentation that demonstrates that you do not have a credit report or score with a credit bureau. You may provide evidence of continued payment of bills if there is no credit report or credit score. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline
16 hours ago, kayden123 said:

I would write a letter explaining that and sign it. something along the lines my college doesnt provide transcripts that show english 101 ect. (assuming that is true)  I would assume the more education you show, the more it will help. they dont want you to be under the public charge rule.  

my wife is from the Philippines and her transcript shows English101. 102, but almost everyone speaks it there anyways.

3 hours ago, faustt said:

I submitted my passing exam from preparatory school in Turkey. If you don't have some kind of exam like TOEFL, IELTS college transcript should work. I don't even think you need a proof that you have formal education for English but I did it anyway since I had the paper around

Thanks for the answers guys. I have my transcript from college which includes English 101 so I guess it's gonna work. I'm relieved😊

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 4/14/2020 at 4:25 PM, SeanDowney0309 said:

Hi all, 

I am in the midst of putting together my AOS package (K1 Visa) here in Chicago.  Luckily I moved here and married my American fiance just in time, we married and got our marriage certificate in the first week of March. We are making good progress assembling our package, but like many people, I am having trouble with the I-944 form. I have a few questions:

•  Like many people, I don't have a credit report/score as I've only been in the country just over a month. I do have a SS card, can i input my SS number, screenshot the error message and submit that as evidence? has that been proved to be successful? Or should I be added to my wife's credit card and go that route?
  •   I'm having trouble getting my old GCSE certificates, has anyone submitted their packages with no school certificates? 
  • As someone who is born and raised in the UK, how am I supposed to prove I speak the language?

Many Thanks

As someone who is born and raised in the UK, how am I supposed to prove I speak the language? -> This is mentioned in the i-944 instruction.

"Native English speakers, or other language if applicable, must provide documentation of language proficiency including language certifications. Evidence of language certification may include high school diplomas and college degrees showing that the native language was studied for credit."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 hours ago, Gak said:

As someone who is born and raised in the UK, how am I supposed to prove I speak the language? -> This is mentioned in the i-944 instruction.

"Native English speakers, or other language if applicable, must provide documentation of language proficiency including language certifications. Evidence of language certification may include high school diplomas and college degrees showing that the native language was studied for credit."

im not from there, but does your high school have English classes that everyone takes like here in usa?  

17 hours ago, kayden123 said:

im not from there, but does your high school have English classes that everyone takes like here in usa?  

Yes, but unfortunately the exam board I need to contact to get a certified statement of results (i.e replace my lost certificates) has temporarily closed due to the Coronavirus. I don't know what to do...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, SeanDowney0309 said:

Yes, but unfortunately the exam board I need to contact to get a certified statement of results (i.e replace my lost certificates) has temporarily closed due to the Coronavirus. I don't know what to do...

Write a letter explaining that, sign it. And state you'll provide one as soon as it reopens.

1 minute ago, kayden123 said:

Write a letter explaining that, sign it. And state you'll provide one as soon as it reopens.

Yes I might have to, hopefully they will accept that given the circumstances. Thanks

I got the three case receipt texts last night! I feel so relieved 😅 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline
15 hours ago, SeanDowney0309 said:

Yes I might have to, hopefully they will accept that given the circumstances. Thanks

Congratulations - hope for a swift and smooth process for you mobing forward.

did you mail the application on the 7th or was it received by USCIS on the 7th ??

( referring to your timeline dates)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline
16 minutes ago, ecuatorianos2018 said:

I got the three case receipt texts last night! I feel so relieved 😅 

Congratulations - hope for a swift and smooth process for you mobing forward.

did you mail the application on the 7th or was it received by USCIS on the 7th ??

1 minute ago, Viking said:

Congratulations - hope for a swift and smooth process for you mobing forward.

Thank you! 
I mailed the application on the 7th and it was delivered the 10th.

Hi everyone! I'm glad to find this forum. Hope we all can share our journey in this process.

I'm planning to submit my packet sometime next week. But I'm still waiting for the letter of no credit report from Equifax, which has just been a few days since I requested via mail. Has anyone requested free credit report from them? How many days until you guys received it? I'm afraid if this will delay the process further.

I have a question as well regarding form I-944 for those who are adjusting from K1. In the instruction, they require us to provide supporting documents as proof of the household's assets. I currently have nothing in cash value, is it okay to just give my husband's bank statements and/or asset's documents? Did you guys also provide the latest 12 months as instructed for the bank statements? I'm sorry if this seems obvious but I just want to make sure. Last time during the K1 interview stage, we only provided the latest month bank statement, and now we think 12 months is just a bit too excessive...

image.png.4bc7454f9347e70c1279ce3823b1f923.png

Edited by MJAK
K-1                                AOS/EAD/AP - PENDING
NOA1 Notice Date  : 2019-07-05     NOA1 Notice Date          : 2020-05-03
NOA2 Date         : 2019-09-27     RFE for I-485 in Mail     : 2020-05-28
Arrived at NVC    : 2019-10-29     RFE Response Sent to USCIS: 2020-05-29
Arrived in Embassy: 2019-11-14     RFE Received by USCIS     : 2020-06-02
Interview date    : 2020-01-14       
Visa issued       : 2020-01-17
POE               : 2020-03-05
Wedding           : 2020-03-31

39 minutes ago, MJAK said:

Hi everyone! I'm glad to find this forum. Hope we all can share our journey in this process.

I'm planning to submit my packet sometime next week. But I'm still waiting for the letter of no credit report from Equifax, which has just been a few days since I requested via mail. Has anyone requested free credit report from them? How many days until you guys received it? I'm afraid if this will delay the process further.

I have a question as well regarding form I-944 for those who are adjusting from K1. In the instruction, they require us to provide supporting documents as proof of the household's assets. I currently have nothing in cash value, is it okay to just give my husband's bank statements and/or asset's documents? Did you guys also provide the latest 12 months as instructed for the bank statements? I'm sorry if this seems obvious but I just want to make sure. Last time during the K1 interview stage, we only provided the latest month bank statement, and now we think 12 months is just a bit too excessive...

image.png.4bc7454f9347e70c1279ce3823b1f923.png

Hello! We didn't send in any assets or bank statements and marked the section as N/A but that's because my income is well above 125% of the poverty level. The way I understood the instructions was that assets are only necessary if your income doesn't meet the poverty level requirements for your household, including income from the most recent tax year. 

Your household’s annual gross income should be at least 125 percent (100 percent if you are on active duty, other than in training, in the U.S. Armed Forces) of the Federal Poverty Guidelines for the most recent year as set by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) for the household size you listed in Part 2. See https://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty-guidelines.

If your household annual gross income is less than 125 percent of the Federal Poverty Guidelines based on your household size listed in Part 2., you may demonstrate that the total value of your household’s assets and resources is five times the difference between your household’s annual gross income and 125 percent (100 percent if you are on active duty, other than in training, in the U.S. Armed Forces) of the Federal Poverty Guideline for your household size.

However, providing assets plus meeting the income requirements will likely present a stronger case to USCIS. Bank statements are just a type of asset so if you don't have any assets of any cash value, you will be alright with just the bank statements. 

I would recommend following the rules by sending in 12 months of bank statements. It does sound excessive but it allows USCIS to get a better overall glimpse of your financial status over a longer period of time which they may argue they can't see with just one month of statements. 

Regarding the credit score, we just sent in screenshots of the error messages we got while trying to get an online credit report and statement signed by my wife that she doesn't have credit but plans on building credit in the US and will submit a credit in the future if they ask for it. But I do know that a lot of other people requested the Equifax letter and it took them about a week to get it. 

Hope this helps. The new forms and rules are so recent that no one has been approved under them yet or had an interview which means that there's a lot we don't know about what exactly USCIS is looking for. With the office closures and cancelling of biometrics appointments, it may be a while before we actually get any news of approvals/RFEs, etc. A lot of us have gotten NOA1s though at least so now we're just waiting. 

1 hour ago, ecuatorianos2018 said:

Hello! We didn't send in any assets or bank statements and marked the section as N/A but that's because my income is well above 125% of the poverty level. The way I understood the instructions was that assets are only necessary if your income doesn't meet the poverty level requirements for your household, including income from the most recent tax year. 

However, providing assets plus meeting the income requirements will likely present a stronger case to USCIS. Bank statements are just a type of asset so if you don't have any assets of any cash value, you will be alright with just the bank statements. 

I would recommend following the rules by sending in 12 months of bank statements. It does sound excessive but it allows USCIS to get a better overall glimpse of your financial status over a longer period of time which they may argue they can't see with just one month of statements. 

Regarding the credit score, we just sent in screenshots of the error messages we got while trying to get an online credit report and statement signed by my wife that she doesn't have credit but plans on building credit in the US and will submit a credit in the future if they ask for it. But I do know that a lot of other people requested the Equifax letter and it took them about a week to get it. 

Hope this helps. The new forms and rules are so recent that no one has been approved under them yet or had an interview which means that there's a lot we don't know about what exactly USCIS is looking for. With the office closures and cancelling of biometrics appointments, it may be a while before we actually get any news of approvals/RFEs, etc. A lot of us have gotten NOA1s though at least so now we're just waiting. 

Thank you for your elaborate answers! Even after reviewing the forms, I still missed that note about not necessary to provide assets/bank statements for those with income above 125% poverty guideline.

I will wait for Equifax for another week, otherwise I will do the same thing as your wife did and just send the packet out. Thanks!

K-1                                AOS/EAD/AP - PENDING
NOA1 Notice Date  : 2019-07-05     NOA1 Notice Date          : 2020-05-03
NOA2 Date         : 2019-09-27     RFE for I-485 in Mail     : 2020-05-28
Arrived at NVC    : 2019-10-29     RFE Response Sent to USCIS: 2020-05-29
Arrived in Embassy: 2019-11-14     RFE Received by USCIS     : 2020-06-02
Interview date    : 2020-01-14       
Visa issued       : 2020-01-17
POE               : 2020-03-05
Wedding           : 2020-03-31

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.