Trebaruna

Am I being used for a green card?

13 posts in this topic

Hello all,

About a year ago, I started talking to this girl in Brazil from a dating website. It wasn't your "mail-order bride" type of site, but just a regular dating website. I made the first move. We hit it off pretty well. Although she's from a so-called developing country, she's from a fairly well-to-do family: her father is dentist, her mother a landlord. She's a physical therapist herself, and very well traveled for the record.

We Chatted and video-chatted non-stop for months, talking about everything. Finally, a few months ago we seriously started thinking about meeting in person.We finally opted and made arrangements to meet in Lisbon. After a few initial awkward moments, things went pretty well and there was some real chemistry between us. She even introduced me to one of her girlfriends living there.

After both being back home, we quickly stayed talking about seeing each other again quick, and about what to do to live nearby each other hypothetically. It might seem a little fast, but we're both in our late thirties and aren't exactly young anymore.

In spite of her being from a wealthy family and being the same age, the "being used" thing had always been in the back of my mind, and always have been looking out for red flags. She never really said anything that could sound like a red flag, but she's never made a mystery that she wouldn't mind leaving Brazil. She isn't necessarily keen on living in the US, but is inclined to Canada, the UK, Germany, and that kind of countries. She knows I have both US and UE citizenship. I mentioned moving to Lisbon to be together, both because it is something I am interested in and also to "test the waters". She replied "no" without a thought, and added that we wouldn't stay together if I moved there.

Her reaction got me concerned about her real intentions. What do you think?

Thanks for your feedback.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

make more trips, TRULY get to know her. I think far too many people rush into this and have on rose coloured glasses and the reality hits hard once they move here and either were used for a GC or are simply incompatible.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
11 hours ago, Trebaruna said:

She replied "no" without a thought, and added that we wouldn't stay together if I moved there.

On the surface this does seem like a strange reaction to me. If I could make a living where my fiancée lives I would be there now and she’d love that. At one time I thought I had a remote job lined up and we were both excited about it. It would allow us to be together and still live near her family.

Maybe talk to her more about it to find out the reasons for her objection to it

4 hours ago, Russ&MaryAnn said:

On the surface this does seem like a strange reaction to me. If I could make a living where my fiancée lives I would be there now and she’d love that. At one time I thought I had a remote job lined up and we were both excited about it. It would allow us to be together and still live near her family.

Maybe talk to her more about it to find out the reasons for her objection to it

Thank your feedback. I have to confess that, although I probably could secure more or less easily residency there,  I wouldn't want to live in Brazil. That said, not being thrilled about moving to a country with lower living and safety standards will always be more understandable than the other way around.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from Off Topic to the General Immigration Discussion forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

On 12/6/2019 at 5:57 PM, Trebaruna said:

Hello all,

About a year ago, I started talking to this girl in Brazil from a dating website. It wasn't your "mail-order bride" type of site, but just a regular dating website. I made the first move. We hit it off pretty well. Although she's from a so-called developing country, she's from a fairly well-to-do family: her father is dentist, her mother a landlord. She's a physical therapist herself, and very well traveled for the record.

We Chatted and video-chatted non-stop for months, talking about everything. Finally, a few months ago we seriously started thinking about meeting in person.We finally opted and made arrangements to meet in Lisbon. After a few initial awkward moments, things went pretty well and there was some real chemistry between us. She even introduced me to one of her girlfriends living there.

After both being back home, we quickly stayed talking about seeing each other again quick, and about what to do to live nearby each other hypothetically. It might seem a little fast, but we're both in our late thirties and aren't exactly young anymore.

In spite of her being from a wealthy family and being the same age, the "being used" thing had always been in the back of my mind, and always have been looking out for red flags. She never really said anything that could sound like a red flag, but she's never made a mystery that she wouldn't mind leaving Brazil. She isn't necessarily keen on living in the US, but is inclined to Canada, the UK, Germany, and that kind of countries. She knows I have both US and UE citizenship. I mentioned moving to Lisbon to be together, both because it is something I am interested in and also to "test the waters". She replied "no" without a thought, and added that we wouldn't stay together if I moved there.

Her reaction got me concerned about her real intentions. What do you think?

Thanks for your feedback.

Yeah you are being used. She has her interests ahead of yours.  So red flag

duh

• 2 weeks later...

Your scenario, so familiar to me! I was under the same scheme from this (removed) service. It's the pure "mail-order-bride" mechanism that she used on me. How on earth a woman from other part of the world can be so manipulative in the same way?

Edited by Unlockable

*** One post edited to remove unauthorized external link.

VJ Moderation 

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Maybe she just doesn't want to live there. 

As mentioned, if you're serious, start having serious conversations. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Might also be worth a visit to meet her in Brazil to see if her home situation is actually what she claims it, too. You don’t trust her motives fully right now - seeing how she responds to an offer to visit her at home (which almost anyone would naturally welcome) would be additional insight.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

I don't think you're being used for a greencard per se if she doesn't want to move to the US.

Did you each pay for your own travels to Lisboa?

If you are exploring third countries for living, would be interesting to understand why she believes your relationship wouldn't last in Lisbon - have you asked her about that? If not maybe start increasing the depth of conversations to really get to know each other. If my spouse would tell me such a big thing, he would also tell me why he believes this to be true.

You should definitely visit her at home and confirm the situation described is true. You could also offer moving to Brazil simply to catch her reaction.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.