Zoltan K

December 2019 - AOS Filers

1,449 posts in this topic

Hello!  I filed for AOS from L1 (so not a K1 visa) in NYC in December 2019 and had my interview today (scheduled on Nov 30th) and wanted to share as it was a little strange and hadn't seen similar cases when frantically reading through forums over the past few weeks....

Arrived at 7:45am for an 8am appointment, got called in at around 9:30am.  Officer was basically completely silent and just clicking through things on his computer.  He did not ask us to do oath...He asked us for passports, marriage certificate, and birth certificate but basically did not look at them at all.  Then asked for photo albums - we had brought three, along with a printed out "timeline" with photos from over the course of our ~6 year relationship with explanations of dates, people included, etc.  He looked through the albums in depth, asked us a question about where one photo was taken, and just quickly flipped through timeline.  He then asked us each in turn where we work and what we do, asked me (petitioner) my address, when I had last entered the country (had left and come back again since I filed, so showed him my new I94), and for our latest tax docs.  He then asked me a couple of yes/no questions (if I had been in military, if I had criminal conviction) and asked me to sign what I think was the I-485.  Then we we were good to go - no questions about our relationship, did not keep any of the documents except our 2019 tax return, and said we would hear back in the mail.  VERY silent and VERY short - not quite what I was expecting based on what I had read / a conversation with a lawyer.  Hoping to hear back about decision soon as I know I will be sleeping poorly until then - but happy to get this out of the way and feeling very lucky my wait for interview was quite reasonable....!

Edited by fdot123

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

Anyone here from Orlando, FL ? I’ve been waiting since December 2019 and still nothing, I just got let go and it’s getting very hard with this all Covid situation. I really think about just abandon and go home it’s getting ridiculous.... if I do can I Côme back as a tourist ?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
26 minutes ago, fdot123 said:

Hello!  I filed for AOS from L1 (so not a K1 visa) in NYC in December 2019 and had my interview today (scheduled on Nov 30th) and wanted to share as it was a little strange and hadn't seen similar cases when frantically reading through forums over the past few weeks....

Arrived at 7:45am for an 8am appointment, got called in at around 9:30am.  Officer was basically completely silent and just clicking through things on his computer.  He did not ask us to do oath...He asked us for passports, marriage certificate, and birth certificate but basically did not look at them at all.  Then asked for photo albums - we had brought three, along with a printed out "timeline" with photos from over the course of our ~6 year relationship with explanations of dates, people included, etc.  He looked through the albums in depth, asked us a question about where one photo was taken, and just quickly flipped through timeline.  He then asked us each in turn where we work and what we do, asked me (petitioner) my address, when I had last entered the country (had left and come back again since I filed, so showed him my new I94), and for our latest tax docs.  He then asked me a couple of yes/no questions (if I had been in military, if I had criminal conviction) and asked me to sign what I think was the I-485.  Then we we were good to go - no questions about our relationship, did not keep any of the documents except our 2019 tax return, and said we would hear back in the mail.  VERY silent and VERY short - not quite what I was expecting based on what I had read / a conversation with a lawyer.  Hoping to hear back about decision soon as I know I will be sleeping poorly until then - but happy to get this out of the way and feeling very lucky my wait for interview was quite reasonable....!

Sending you positive energy and vibes to get approved. Good luck. 
I’m a NYC November 2019 filer. My interview was scheduled for December 2020 but was canceled and rescheduled because of the snow storm. It’s in the end of January 2021 now. I can’t wait to get it over with. 

FO: Manhattan, NYC

11/06/2019: Priority Date
12/04/2019: Bio
01/2X/2020: "Ready Schedule Interview"
02/13/2020: EAD/AP combo card approved

Interview Date: pending

Just now, Edict1113 said:

Sending you positive energy and vibes to get approved. Good luck. 
I’m a NYC November 2019 filer. My interview was scheduled for December 2020 but was canceled and rescheduled because of the snow storm. It’s in the end of January 2021 now. I can’t wait to get it over with. 

Thank you so much!  I’m so so sorry - what awful luck. Fingers crossed all goes smoothly from now on!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline
53 minutes ago, BingoH said:

Anyone here from Orlando, FL ? I’ve been waiting since December 2019 and still nothing, I just got let go and it’s getting very hard with this all Covid situation. I really think about just abandon and go home it’s getting ridiculous.... if I do can I Côme back as a tourist ?

Don't loose faith... they might give you trouble coming back as a tourist later on because you just applied to become resident, which in turn implies you have pretenses of migrating to the US and a tourist visa is for people who have NO intentions of staying to live in the US being that their prerogative to reject a Visa... we applied here in Tampa.. but I know Orlando timelines weren't that much different.  Again, don't loose faith, you are in the homestretch...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Hello all! We finally got our interview scheduled. Like most, I’m confused in terms of our medical. It was done at the embassy in September 2019 and we filed December 2019 for AOS. Do we need an updated medical ?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
6 hours ago, Comanutd33 said:

Hello all! We finally got our interview scheduled. Like most, I’m confused in terms of our medical. It was done at the embassy in September 2019 and we filed December 2019 for AOS. Do we need an updated medical ?

No new medical. But your vaccination sheet must be marked completed.

Edited by Ayrton

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Afghanistan
Timeline
1 hour ago, Ayrton said:

No new medical. But your vaccination sheet must be marked completed.

We never received our medical they sent it over electronically. How would I know if this is complete?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Comanutd33 said:

We never received our medical they sent it over electronically. How would I know if this is complete?

The Panel Physician should've been clear about it during the medical. Did they say if you needed any vaccines or if everything was good?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My interview is next week! Woop! 

Any tips or advice?

I-129F Sent : 2019-02-11

I-129F NOA1 :

I-129F NOA2:
Interview date: 
Entered the US:

Filed AOS/EAD/AP:

NOA1:

Biometrics App:
RFE:

RFE Responded:

2019-02-20

2019-05-12
2019-08-01

2019-09-08

2019-12-19

2020-01-10

2020-01-30

2020-02-13

2020-02-16

Hi all,

We just had my husband's AOS interview today. The interview was easy, relaxed and not anything we expected. He asked for no other documentation (I preloaded our application with joint accounts & utilities, will, life insurance beneficiary, medical insurance, etc) & just tossed our pictures in our file nonchalantly when we asked if he wanted any. The officer stated he would have approved us but his Medical was missing. It seems the unsealed packet my husband surrendered at POA to customs in Dublin never made it to the US. He said he would need another medical unless he can get the records from the k1 Medical. 

Question- has anyone ever been able to get another copy over a year later? We don't want to pay $$$ for another Medical if it's possible. We've emailed Knightsbridge in London, but aren't holding our breath. 

So sad. We came this far only to be derailed by that dang packet/medical not getting into his file!

PS- totally off topic but our officer talked a ton about his life to us and told us all about his expensive cars and how he and his wife (whom also came on a k1) are getting a Lotus next. We left there in shock those guys do so well! 😁🤑 

13 hours ago, Juls801 said:

It seems the unsealed packet my husband surrendered at POA to customs in Dublin never made it to the US. He said he would need another medical unless he can get the records from the k1 Medical. 

That's bad luck. Did the IO give you an RFE on the spot or tell you that you would likely get one?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey All!

TLDR: simple questions about relationship/family, got approved :)

I had my interview today and wanted to share my experience with you guys while it's still fresh in my head.

First off, I'm a very VERY anxious person already so I was super nervous, stuff like these really gets to me no matter how small or big. Though for those who aren't crazy anxious like me but still a little nervous, try to relax, they're asking you questions you already know.

We had our interview at the NYC Field Office, my husband and I was led into a room while our interviewing officer was in another room interacting with us through an iPad for covid prevention obviously (though I didn't notice the iPad until she spoke Lol)

The following items I brought with me were the following:

-Interview notice

-Both mine and my husband's passports

-Both our birth certificates

-My husband's citizenship

-A certified copy of our marriage certificate

-My EAD/AP

-Supporting documents of our relationship (bank statements, photos, tax returns)

I brought both original copies and photocopies of the original. There was a  middle man who came to get documents from us and I intended to give him the photocopies but I was so nervous I gave him the originals. The eventually returned everything except the supporting documents I provided minus the photos.

The interviewing officer told us to stand and take an oath and the questioning started. She told us not to help each other out when it comes to answering. She asked me about my husbands siblings, their names, and what they do for a living. How long we were dating for, what kind of car he drives, who was at our ceremony, who his best friends were and what they do for a living, how my husband proposed...and I believe those were pretty much it, my husband were asked the same questions about my siblings.

Then I was asked a whole string of questions if I committed any crimes, etc. After that the interviewer came in with the papers that were collected from me and had me sign a document. She gave me a sheet that said notice of interview results. It said your case is being held for review which kind of bummed me out a bit because it meant more waiting BUT after she left and went back into the iPad, we sat in silence for what felt like forever while she was on the computer typing and ended up letting us know that she went ahead and approved it and that my card will come in 2 weeks!

She also added that because my husband and I have only been married under 2 years, we will have to file Form I-751 before our 2nd anniversary to remove the conditions on residence.

aaaaand that's it! 

Edited by jd.

37 minutes ago, jd. said:

Hey All!

TLDR: simple questions about relationship/family, got approved :)

Thanks for sharing your experience. We have our interview coming up, so reading this is reassuring. Congratulations!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.