1point3

Got an RFE in the mail yesterday

71 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

As the title states, i received an RFE yesterday. I'm a bit confused because I made 2 exact copies of my petition that I sent in. I double and triple checked everything before I made the copies. Anyways the RFE states that they need additional evidence of her letter of intent to marry. I've attached the one that we sent. Was it not good enough perhaps? We only plan on having a small civil wedding. To prove that would be difficult because the courthouse here where I live doesnt do pre registrations.

Also does this mean I need to redo mine with a more current date? Even if the RFE just states hers? Another thing that confuses me is, both our letters of intent were exactly the same in our original petition. Only difference are the names, dates signed, and signature. 

Screenshot_20190830-180121_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20190830-180413_Drive.jpg

11 minutes ago, 1point3 said:

As the title states, i received an RFE yesterday. I'm a bit confused because I made 2 exact copies of my petition that I sent in. I double and triple checked everything before I made the copies. Anyways the RFE states that they need additional evidence of her letter of intent to marry. I've attached the one that we sent. Was it not good enough perhaps? We only plan on having a small civil wedding. To prove that would be difficult because the courthouse here where I live doesnt do pre registrations.

Also does this mean I need to redo mine with a more current date? Even if the RFE just states hers? Another thing that confuses me is, both our letters of intent were exactly the same in our original petition. Only difference are the names, dates signed, and signature. 

Screenshot_20190830-180121_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20190830-180413_Drive.jpg

What country is your fiance from?

Yours is the second recent RFE I've seen for this type of information.  Historically, it seems that RFEs for intent were just asking for the letter (even if it had been submitted initially with the petition).

Is there something you can think of that would make them question her intent?

Kind of disturbing really, as how can most people plan such specifics without even knowing when they might get the visa?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
12 minutes ago, 1point3 said:

We only plan on having a small civil wedding. To prove that would be difficult because the courthouse here where I live doesnt do pre registrations.

provide them your plans for the small civil wedding - reception reservations, catering reservations, party reservations. you can also attach receipts of the dress that you bought or pictures of the intended dress. invites will also be a good proof that you are going to marry each other.

yes, the intent to marry letter needs to be updated.

Timeline

14 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

What country is your fiance from?

Yours is the second recent RFE I've seen for this type of information.  Historically, it seems that RFEs for intent were just asking for the letter (even if it had been submitted initially with the petition).

Is there something you can think of that would make them question her intent?

Kind of disturbing really, as how can most people plan such specifics without even knowing when they might get the visa?

Shes in the Philippines
I cant think of any reason off the top of my head as to why they would question it.
I totally agree how can you plan a ceremony like that without having a solid date yet

14 minutes ago, wingman23 said:

provide them your plans for the small civil wedding - reception reservations, catering reservations, party reservations. you can also attach receipts of the dress that you bought or pictures of the intended dress. invites will also be a good proof that you are going to marry each other.

yes, the intent to marry letter needs to be updated.

Alright, I'll go ahead and make another new and updated of letter of intent as will she. Should we both include those small details in both of ours? I hope it'll be okay since the RFE just states they need one from her. just a random question, if it were missing, would the RFE say missing docs?

5 minutes ago, 1point3 said:

Shes in the Philippines
I cant think of any reason off the top of my head as to why they would question it.
I totally agree how can you plan a ceremony like that without having a solid date yet

Alright, I'll go ahead and make another new and updated of letter of intent as will she. Should we both include those small details in both of ours? I hope it'll be okay since the RFE just states they need one from her. just a random question, if it were missing, would the RFE say missing docs?

That is odd!

Couldn't hurt to re-do both letters of intent with current dates.  Please keep us posted.

Timeline

they listed the missing docs in the RFE - wedding preparations, photographs, correspondence of wedding invites, or emails that shows you are talking about the wedding. you can also provide the receipt of the engagement ring/wedding ring that you gave her.

i believe that the intent to marry letter should include wedding preparations even though, as you said, it's hard to prepare for a wedding without a solid date yet. however, to avoid RFE, we need to provide this. good thing that my fiancee plans ahead so we have proofs to provide when we submitted our 129F. no rfe for us.

13 minutes ago, wingman23 said:

they listed the missing docs in the RFE - wedding preparations, photographs, correspondence of wedding invites, or emails that shows you are talking about the wedding. you can also provide the receipt of the engagement ring/wedding ring that you gave her.

i believe that the intent to marry letter should include wedding preparations even though, as you said, it's hard to prepare for a wedding without a solid date yet. however, to avoid RFE, we need to provide this. good thing that my fiancee plans ahead so we have proofs to provide when we submitted our 129F. no rfe for us.

And we provided nothing more than our joint letter of intent when we submitted our 129F, no RFE either.....

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

And we provided nothing more than our joint letter of intent when we submitted our 129F, no RFE either.....

hit and miss ;)

unluckily for the OP, they got the RFE.

Timeline

very unfortunate indeed. it sucks because we met in september last year in person during my first vacation over there with my parents. things started off well we just messaged each other. one thing led to another and in december when i went back i proposed to her. we didnt really talk about our marriage over chat because we mostly do video calls. we talked about it more when i went back there this past june. so since our first encounter, we have seen each other a total of 3 separate occurrences each lasting more then 14 days each. in my original petition i included about 8 pictures with dates and popular landmarks over there. would it raise some flags if we were to start chatting about it right after we get an RFE. should i write a letter explaining all these things? i dont know why im nuking this... i appreciate all your responces.

as of right now i plan to write a more personal letter of intent. she will write another one as well. both will be signed and dated. im just getting paranoid that with whatever i send in my petition could either get declined or get another RFE. Its just crazy that there was a problem with her letter of intent and no problem with mine. they were exactly the same....

again thanks guys. i have a few days to work on this cause the post offices are closed due to the holiday and sunday. hopefully i can gain some more confidence and send in the revised letters of intent from the both of us on tuesday

Edited by 1point3

Timeline

i don't think it will raise some flags if you provide proof after the RFE. as you mentioned, you talked via video chat and talked about it in person. now, you have to provide written evidence that wedding will happen within the time period after her arrival into the US.

i think they regarded those proofs (your visits and the photographs) for your on-going relationship with her and not for the wedding plans.

good luck!

i bet those photos are beautiful because landmarks in the Philippines are all awesome! :) 

5 hours ago, 1point3 said:

very unfortunate indeed. it sucks because we met in september last year in person during my first vacation over there with my parents. things started off well we just messaged each other. one thing led to another and in december when i went back i proposed to her. we didnt really talk about our marriage over chat because we mostly do video calls. we talked about it more when i went back there this past june. so since our first encounter, we have seen each other a total of 3 separate occurrences each lasting more then 14 days each. in my original petition i included about 8 pictures with dates and popular landmarks over there. would it raise some flags if we were to start chatting about it right after we get an RFE. should i write a letter explaining all these things? i dont know why im nuking this... i appreciate all your responces.

as of right now i plan to write a more personal letter of intent. she will write another one as well. both will be signed and dated. im just getting paranoid that with whatever i send in my petition could either get declined or get another RFE. Its just crazy that there was a problem with her letter of intent and no problem with mine. they were exactly the same....

again thanks guys. i have a few days to work on this cause the post offices are closed due to the holiday and sunday. hopefully i can gain some more confidence and send in the revised letters of intent from the both of us on tuesday

I'm sorry you got an rfe! Sounds like a strange one though.

You're right, they're asking for evidence that are most likely not available yet. my fiance and I don't have concrete plans either since like everyone else we're waiting for the k1 process to be further down the road.

Anyway, did you include any other evidence in your original petition that would count as intent to marry? Ex, engagement ring receipt, engagement photos, engagement announcement?

I'm surprised they listed wedding shower as an evidence when they deny applications that look too married. SMH. Good luck op! Keep us updated 

Dunno if it's just me, but your original letter of intent was quite *cold* and generic. Nothing personal about it, nothing that would indicate how she feels about you or your upcoming nuptials. It's as if you guys are simply entering into a business contract or something, not getting married to the great love of your life. Could be that the officer who read that got the same vibes.. 🤷‍♀️ Just my two cents.

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
42 minutes ago, Trese said:

Dunno if it's just me, but your original letter of intent was quite *cold* and generic. Nothing personal about it, nothing that would indicate how she feels about you or your upcoming nuptials. It's as if you guys are simply entering into a business contract or something, not getting married to the great love of your life. Could be that the officer who read that got the same vibes.. 🤷‍♀️ Just my two cents.

Normally, only intent is required in the letter.  The OP's submission was fine......feelings put into words are not necessary.  .The RFE is very strange, imo

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

12 minutes ago, missileman said:

Normally, only intent is required in the letter.  The OP's submission was fine......feelings put into words are not necessary.  .The RFE is very strange, imo

Indeed. Makes me doubt now if our own letter of intent would be deemed sufficient. Though we did include the invoice for the wedding bands F bought.

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.