1point3

Got an RFE in the mail yesterday

71 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
8 minutes ago, MalinB said:

This truly is a little nerve wrecking! We have included similar (simple and to the point) letters of intent. I'm just wondering if the paper somehow was lost at the USCIS and that's why they are requesting more evidence? That the person looking at your file actually doesn't have it. In cases like this, is there anyway to contact them and ask?

That was what I thought too!

However, it seems as though the USCIS is asking for other evidence aside from the Letter of Intent to Marry.

I hope that this isn't the "new normal".

Edited by Soon To Be Mrs. T

Looked through a local K-1 visa group, and recent RFE's. There were several who got RFE for the letter of intent to marry. It would seem that "very short and to the point" letters are not sufficient anymore. At least, I think they were those with very generic letters. No offense to those who did theirs like that.

Seeing as they're trying to prevent marriage fraud, they may now be looking for LOI with a little more personal content, not something grabbed off Google and just replaced with the petitioner/beneficiary name.

event.png

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, Trese said:

Looked through a local K-1 visa group, and recent RFE's. There were several who got RFE for the letter of intent to marry. It would seem that "very short and to the point" letters are not sufficient anymore. At least, I think they were those with very generic letters. No offense to those who did theirs like that.

Seeing as they're trying to prevent marriage fraud, they may now be looking for LOI with a little more personal content, not something grabbed off Google and just replaced with the petitioner/beneficiary name.

Not likely.   I am betting there are some new adjudicators, and they are not very well trained.   LOI is the main evidence listed in the I-129F instructions.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

I'm just wondering what they could possibly want more than "yes, I want to marry this person and I plan on doing so within the time frame." That is the intention. Not sure what else to put in there... the "love story" part like how we met, keep in contact, and how he/she proposed, at least we, put in a different document. 

I really hope 1point3 will keep us posted on how he handles it and the outcome (I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you - hopefully it will be just fine!!). 

Timeline

Ya that has me scratching my head also.   Wedding plans, catering receipts, reservations?   Get real, or better yet they should pull their head out of their  ....   This process takes most of a year with "no date given"  as to when a person will clear POE, at which time there is all of 90 days to get things figured out .. most do a quick civil wedding.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

I fired off an email to USICS Liaison, being the holiday I don't expect a quick response.   But they have been good at replying to my inquiries in the past.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

8 hours ago, Hank_ said:

Not likely.   I am betting there are some new adjudicators, and they are not very well trained.   LOI is the main evidence listed in the I-129F instructions.

Yes, it could be new adjudicators, but looking at it another way, they could be trained too well and becoming more strict with these things. Exactly, the LOI is a main requirement. And yet, despite several couples sending them in, they still got an RFE for LOI. We all know we can't yet put in any specifics re: wedding plans, seeing as those would hinge on when the visa would actually get approved and the beneficiary could enter the US. So it makes me think they just want more than just the bare-bones LOI, something with a little meat to it, so to say.

event.png

Timeline

Thanks for the replies guys and especially Hank for sending in that inquiry. We are currently drafting our new letters. We agreed to just add a little more to the bare bones requirement. I will keep this post going just in case someone else encounters the same situation as me. Also my noa1 date was 05.16.19. If it makes a difference to anyone searching in the future. 

1 hour ago, 1point3 said:

Thanks for the replies guys and especially Hank for sending in that inquiry. We are currently drafting our new letters. We agreed to just add a little more to the bare bones requirement. I will keep this post going just in case someone else encounters the same situation as me. Also my noa1 date was 05.16.19. If it makes a difference to anyone searching in the future. 

Try to use your own words, as much as possible. That should help. :) 

event.png

Timeline
7 hours ago, 1point3 said:

Yes do keep us updated, do appreciate.

It is still strange that they question your fiancee's "intent to marry" and not yours.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Just and update guys, I've finished my new letter of intent, printed it out and signed it. My question is, my fiancee is more comfortable hand writing it, sign it, and send it. I've checked dhl and it's pretty reasonable to ship a document from the Philippines to the United States. Do you all feel that all this necessary?

We are scared that if she were type it, print it, sign it, scan it, and than email it. They might not take accept it again cause itll just be a print out that is submitted. No wet ink. Or how about a scan of her hand written letter? Sorry but my paranoia is eating me away. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Just now, 1point3 said:

Just and update guys, I've finished my new letter of intent, printed it out and signed it. My question is, my fiancee is more comfortable hand writing it, sign it, and send it. I've checked dhl and it's pretty reasonable to ship a document from the Philippines to the United States. Do you all feel that all this necessary?

We are scared that if she were type it, print it, sign it, scan it, and than email it. They might not take accept it again cause itll just be a print out that is submitted. No wet ink. Or how about a scan of her hand written letter? Sorry but my paranoia is eating me away. 

Wet ink not required. 

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.