1point3

Got an RFE in the mail yesterday

71 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
9 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

Another thing that confuses me is, both our letters of intent were exactly the same in our original petition. Only difference are the names, dates signed, and signature. 

Yeah this is very strange. Our letter of intent was exactly the same, except we combined both into one letter. I wouldn’t be able to show any evidence they’re requesting except discussions about getting married in chats. We haven’t planned any details yet because we don’t know when she’ll get her visa. We did decide on a courthouse wedding and a celebration another time with her family and friends when we visit someday. Otherwise no concrete plans. I wish you good luck. I think her letter should be sufficient... very strange RFE

I agree that your letters of intent were sufficient.  It is quite possible there is an error on the part of the USCIS.  However, there are some better examples of letters of intent to marry on the internet.  If you are going to re-do them, do a more professional looking letter.  It wouldn't hurt to pad the letters a little bit with more personal info.  For example, mention that you discussed wedding arrangements over the phone and decided a civil ceremony at such and such location and etc.  Shows you've made some effort in the wedding arrangements and it is more personal for you.  

Good luck

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
11 hours ago, 1point3 said:

Shes in the Philippines
I cant think of any reason off the top of my head as to why they would question it.
I totally agree how can you plan a ceremony like that without having a solid date yet

Alright, I'll go ahead and make another new and updated of letter of intent as will she. Should we both include those small details in both of ours? I hope it'll be okay since the RFE just states they need one from her. just a random question, if it were missing, would the RFE say missing docs?

That is totally weird, and your letter appears almost identical to what thousands have used before you.   Makes a person wonder if there is a new, under trained, adjudicator at CSC.    

I seriously doubt you have receipts for catering or anything of that nature and you can't get "creative" now.   Have you and your fiancee chatted online about "just getting married at a quick civil wedding" ?  Gather up all the chat logs or emails where your discussed your simple wedding.    Then print out copies of those chat logs/emails, makes sure the dates of those chats/emails are shown.    And yes complete a new Letter from your Fiancee, heck get silly and have her take it to a notary (which is an attorney in the Philippines ) and have her signature notarized  (emailing should be fine).   

The I-129F instructions are simple, the letter of intent is the BIG evidence.   Beyond weird.

From the I-129F instructions:

8. Evidence for Petitions to Classify a Fiancé(e) as a K-1 Nonimmigrant In addition to the evidence described above, you must submit evidence of: A. Intention to Marry Within 90 Days of Entry. Submit evidence that you and your fiancé(e) intend to marry within 90 days of your fiancé(e)’s entry as a K-1 nonimmigrant. Evidence of your intention to marry may include statements of intent to marry signed by both you and your fiancé(e) or any other evidence that establishes, by a preponderance of the evidence, your mutual intention; 

Fiance_Letter_of_Intent.doc

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

2 hours ago, Hank_ said:

Evidence of your intention to marry may include statements of intent to marry signed by both you and your fiancé(e)

Fiance_Letter_of_Intent.doc 28 kB · 2 downloads

It may be this.

In the attachment the OP posted, it just looked like a signature and then a printed name of both the OP. (If I can't tell then I'm sure USCIS can't tell).

We sent two separate letters of intent, one done by myself signed myself and one by my fiance at the time signed by him. 

Another alternative would be to have two signatures and two printed names to avoid confusion.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Ash. said:

It may be this.

In the attachment the OP posted, it just looked like a signature and then a printed name of both the OP. (If I can't tell then I'm sure USCIS can't tell).

We sent two separate letters of intent, one done by myself signed myself and one by my fiance at the time signed by him. 

Another alternative would be to have two signatures and two printed names to avoid confusion.

The letter I saw in the attachment was from "Faith" ,  I saw no other name listed except in the body of the letter where it should be, from that it appears that they each completed separate letters .. as it should be.

This is truly odd for USCIS to RFE this, given that the LOI is listed in the I-129F instructions.  

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

3 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

The letter I saw in the attachment was from "Faith" ,  I saw no other name listed except in the body of the letter where it should be, from that it appears that they each completed separate letters .. as it should be.

This is truly odd for USCIS to RFE this, given that the LOI is listed in the I-129F instructions.  

That's why I'm wondering if two separate letters were sent, or just the one from Faith.

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

Spoiler

Spoiler

06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Here's mine that was included in the original petition packet. There both state the exact same thing. Just different names and signatures. I was misled to think that it were supposed to be short and to the point....

Screenshot_20190901-142046_Drive.jpg

Edited by 1point3

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Ash. said:

That's why I'm wondering if two separate letters were sent, or just the one from Faith.

He stated that two LOI were sent with th petition

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Just now, Hank_ said:

He stated that two LOI were sent with th petition

Ahh okay I missed that, my apoligies

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

Spoiler

Spoiler

06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

Timeline
2 minutes ago, 1point3 said:

Here's mine that was included in the original petition packet. There both state the exact same thing. Just different names and signatures. I was misled to think that it were supposed to be short and to the point....

Screenshot_20190901-141604_Drive.jpg

They are supposed to be short and to the point.   I included an attachment of the LOI in an earlier post to you that I used and have shared with many others when they ask

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

does someone have a copy or a website link to a better written Letter of Intent sample?

i dont want some under-trained USCIS employee to give me an RFE.

that employee just gave OP is massive headache and stress. we already have to deal with enough BS already.

i honestly think the people at USCIS are looking for the smallest things to reject applications. i wouldnt be surprised if they use an electron microscope to to examine the pictures and documents carefully...

Edited by ZackG222

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
8 hours ago, missileman said:

Normally, only intent is required in the letter.  The OP's submission was fine......feelings put into words are not necessary.  .The RFE is very strange, imo

I have to agree with this 100%. Our letters of intent were a copy of the example provided here on VJ, and just as simple and straight forward, maybe even less wording than yours. My fiancee at the time and I really didn't have much plans, if any at all when we submitted our letters, and we didn't even have her dress made until I went to Thailand to bring her home with me, and that was a spur of the moment type thing not even planned. I am also in the " Very Strange RFE" boat on this one.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

7 hours ago, 1point3 said:

I was misled to think that it were supposed to be short and to the point....

You were not misled.  Yours was similar to what is sent with most successful K-1 petitions.  Ours was just as succinct, and we wrote a joint letter, rather than separate ones.  USCIS has never called for the heartfelt, emotional letters that some in this thread are referencing.  That type of letter has no advantage over a short business-like one for establishing intent to marry.

Your RFE is an anomaly.

I wonder if it is a taste of things to come.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

This truly is a little nerve wrecking! We have included similar (simple and to the point) letters of intent. I'm just wondering if the paper somehow was lost at the USCIS and that's why they are requesting more evidence? That the person looking at your file actually doesn't have it. In cases like this, is there anyway to contact them and ask?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.