1point3

Got an RFE in the mail yesterday

71 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, 1point3 said:

Would a scan of her hand written letter add to some authenticity when I send it? As long as the format is okay. Header with address etc etc.

It is a signed statement,  not a letter.  Don't even need the header, etc.  You can put it in letter format but not required. 

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
5 minutes ago, 1point3 said:

Just and update guys, I've finished my new letter of intent, printed it out and signed it. My question is, my fiancee is more comfortable hand writing it, sign it, and send it. I've checked dhl and it's pretty reasonable to ship a document from the Philippines to the United States. Do you all feel that all this necessary?

We are scared that if she were type it, print it, sign it, scan it, and than email it. They might not take accept it again cause itll just be a print out that is submitted. No wet ink. Or how about a scan of her hand written letter? Sorry but my paranoia is eating me away. 

Why make this process more difficult than it has to be?    

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

On 8/31/2019 at 11:10 PM, wingman23 said:

provide them your plans for the small civil wedding - reception reservations, catering reservations, party reservations. you can also attach receipts of the dress that you bought or pictures of the intended dress. invites will also be a good proof that you are going to marry each other.

yes, the intent to marry letter needs to be updated.

How can you make reservations when your fiance is not even in the country?   You're also told in most Consulate FAQ's to not make any arrangements until after the K-1 is issued.

Also 'photos of wedding shower' is contrary to posted information that you should have absolutely NO party/gathering or anything in the foreign country that could REMOTELY be considered a wedding ceremony.

I think 99% of the people get away with a simple two sentence letter "My name is X and I want to marry Y.  Sincerely, X"

5 minutes ago, visafrompa said:

How can you make reservations when your fiance is not even in the country?   You're also told in most Consulate FAQ's to not make any arrangements until after the K-1 is issued.

Also 'photos of wedding shower' is contrary to posted information that you should have absolutely NO party/gathering or anything in the foreign country that could REMOTELY be considered a wedding ceremony.

I think 99% of the people get away with a simple two sentence letter "My name is X and I want to marry Y.  Sincerely, X"

There seems to be more of those who don't get away with that lately...

Edited by Trese

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Ok peoples, I've got everything ready and I just want to make sure what I got to do when I mail in my letters of intent from both my fiancee and I. Is a cover letter totally necessary? I will be using the included envelope to mail in my response. Thanks guys. 

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
11 hours ago, 1point3 said:

Ok peoples, I've got everything ready and I just want to make sure what I got to do when I mail in my letters of intent from both my fiancee and I. Is a cover letter totally necessary? I will be using the included envelope to mail in my response. Thanks guys. 

No a cover letter isn't necessary, but returning the original RFE letter is required.     Do make copies of everything

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 9/3/2019 at 10:16 PM, visafrompa said:

reservations can be made through email or a phone call and they can be cancelled if plans won't fit with no fees at all. study the timelines of approvals on each step and plan accordingly. would you rather have an RFE or make some small steps to prevent an RFE

most of us here agreed that the RFE was a mistake or weird that it was issued. even the FAQs told us so. unfortunately, it was issued contrary to what we expect. so the OP needs to have some proof that they indeed talked about the wedding, made some steps in making it happen and provide evidences (e.g. receipts such as the engagement ring/wedding ring) to satisfy and as indicated in the RFE

unluckily, the OP is part of the 1% and the 1% needs to provide proof. what's the best proof? i'd rather be part of the 99% than the 1%.

good luck OP!

6 hours ago, wingman23 said:

reservations can be made through email or a phone call and they can be cancelled if plans won't fit with no fees at all.

Not sure where you're from, but here on the west coast, that generally is not how it works.  Nice wedding/reception venues are at a premium, and I have never heard of one not requiring a deposit to hold the date.

Timeline
31 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Not sure where you're from, but here on the west coast, that generally is not how it works.  Nice wedding/reception venues are at a premium, and I have never heard of one not requiring a deposit to hold the date.

from the east coast but reserved a space from stratosphere, las vegas. we made a deposit but before doing so, my fiancee made sure that it's refundable. we ended up cancelling it because the date we anticipated won't happen at all. 

10 hours ago, wingman23 said:

from the east coast but reserved a space from stratosphere, las vegas. we made a deposit but before doing so, my fiancee made sure that it's refundable. we ended up cancelling it because the date we anticipated won't happen at all. 

You have to admit Vegas is not the rest of the country... you cancel on them they have 50 people lined up after you to take your place.  A local caterer/photographer/music/church has to be secured with a non-refundable deposit.   I'm sure their are exceptions... but that's a pretty standard rule.

Even local fire halls (we call them hosey's) have wait lists in my neck of the woods.  

As for the RFE, I copied the exact template off this site.  Had my fiance sign hers and scan a copy to me.

Dear Sir or Madam:

I visafrompa, do hereby state that I am legally able and willing to marry fiance , and intend to do so within 90 days of her arrival into the US using the K1 visa.

Sincerly

visafrom pa

I'm leaving for Philly to fly to Shenyang 3 hours from now, guess what I used for my letter of intent?  The exact same sentence.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, visafrompa said:

You have to admit Vegas is not the rest of the country... you cancel on them they have 50 people lined up after you to take your place.  A local caterer/photographer/music/church has to be secured with a non-refundable deposit.   I'm sure their are exceptions... but that's a pretty standard rule.

Even local fire halls (we call them hosey's) have wait lists in my neck of the woods.  

As for the RFE, I copied the exact template off this site.  Had my fiance sign hers and scan a copy to me.

Dear Sir or Madam:

I visafrompa, do hereby state that I am legally able and willing to marry fiance , and intend to do so within 90 days of her arrival into the US using the K1 visa.

Sincerly

visafrom pa

I'm leaving for Philly to fly to Shenyang 3 hours from now, guess what I used for my letter of intent?  The exact same sentence.

definitely. im not generalizing. but you were. you asked how can you make reservations if your fiancee/fiance is out of the country. i just responded on what we did. you mentioned that premium places required deposits, and my experience is a premium place but cancellation is not a problem, contrary to what you expect. so what im saying here is that there are exceptions and everyone can look for those exceptions to satisfy what is needed in our application.

for the RFE, good for you and me because we never received an RFE. but for the OP, he did and he need to make sure that he satisfies the CO on his response. what will you do if you are in his place - followed the template but got an RFE?

11 hours ago, wingman23 said:

LOL, okay, I wasn't talking about Vegas weddings. 

Timeline
On 9/3/2019 at 10:16 PM, visafrompa said:

I don't know about the percentage, most do get away with a simple intent to marry "with WET SIGNATURE," but the OP got an RFE.  At the end of the day it is at the consulates/interviewers discretion.  We all are at their mercy.  All we can do is give what they ask in order to lessen the delay of our application. Or fight it and risk it, at worst, getting denied.

Example of proofs you can gather:

Engagement/proposal photos

engagement ring or wedding ring receipts

save the date (even with a note saying date might change).  Evite is free and digital, would take but a short time to create.

wedding dress receipts

correspondence with caterers, hotels, DJ's asking for pricing - usually they give a quote, write on event date "TO BE DISCUSSED"

There are many more ideas if you research the net.  If there is a will, there is a way...

Edited by CON

Timeline
On 9/7/2019 at 2:25 PM, Jorgedig said:

Not hold the date... correspondence and inquiry would suffice. Any company would provide pricing and menus for free.  High end or low end places, all over the country. 

On 9/8/2019 at 1:31 AM, visafrompa said:

Ask for a quote, have them put the bride and grooms name and the details... with date stating "to follow" or "to be discussed"

Edited by CON
add quote

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2019 at 6:45 AM, missileman said:

Normally, only intent is required in the letter.  The OP's submission was fine......feelings put into words are not necessary.  .The RFE is very strange, imo

Probably a new overly earnest adjudicator. We have the same problem in my agency. We call it developing for new information. USCIS calls it an RFE. We submitted a two or three line statement from each of us. I think my wife did mention something about me meeting her family, blah, blah but I certainly don't think a long love story is required. Ours had wet signatures on our letters of intent but I'm not sure that is required.

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.