Reconnecting Reco

Fiancee was denied her visa and issued a 221g.

47 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Elif_and_Greg said:

That's personally very scary to me. Why wouldn't they even want to see proof during the interview? You can do so much to prepare a case, have enough evidence for your NOA2, and then just on a whim a consulate agent can just be like, "Nope.". 

Are they just trying to get applicants in and out of there so they can go to lunch early or something? I'm very sorry this has happened to you. My fiance, when she applied for a tourist visa two times, and she was denied outright at the interview stage, she feels so nervous about the K1 interview that they'll just flatly deny her, despite all of our evidence of our relationship. 

Many of us,  including me,  r denied a K1.   The applications are taken quite seriously as is issuing a visa to the US

i had spent a month with my "now husband" and his family after meeting him thru his aunt at a prior trip to volunteer time working with the handicapped / so i  knew him and his family pretty good / but the CO still denied

For the interview process the packets go to the embassy and they are reviewed before the interview and that is why we say frontload the application with solid proof that the relationship is real

It is not just a nope or they want to go to lunch early

they have guidelines to follow

some reasons for a denial are and these are just some:

facetime 

difference of age and female is not of child bearing age (important in some cultrues)

difference of religion

photos don't show bene's family to show approval

the income may fit poverty level but is not really enough (determined at interview)

education does not show a good chance for a decent job in the US

they think the bene could become a public charge

the person could become a 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
3 hours ago, payxibka said:

I emailed the IV unit at the embassy where the interview was.  I did a synopsis of my understanding of the interview and where the interview went sideways and why.  My email was factual,  unemotional and respectful. 

The highlighted text above sums up the best advice when dealing with USCIS agents and embassy staff.  It is really difficult and calls for an above average dose of self control.  

Sorry to hear about the interview, OP.  You have some really good advice on this thread already.  I'd go with the above suggestion by payxibka and if you don't get the desired results, follow the advice to spend time together, marry and file a spouse visa.  My best wishes to you and your fiance. 

Lee & William

8/2/2014 - Sent I-129F Petition with USPS by Express Mail    
8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline
42 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

Many of us,  including me,  r denied a K1.   The applications are taken quite seriously as is issuing a visa to the US

i had spent a month with my "now husband" and his family after meeting him thru his aunt at a prior trip to volunteer time working with the handicapped / so i  knew him and his family pretty good / but the CO still denied

For the interview process the packets go to the embassy and they are reviewed before the interview and that is why we say frontload the application with solid proof that the relationship is real

facetime 

difference of age and female is not of child bearing age (important in some cultrues)

difference of religion

the income may fit poverty level but is not really enough (determined at interview)

I've visited 4 times in the last year

I make a 6 figure income

We have dozens of pictures many with her family

And there is a 6 year age difference between us. At this point I have no idea why she denied it I went above and beyond the bare minimum to qualify.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Elif_and_Greg said:

That's personally very scary to me. Why wouldn't they even want to see proof during the interview? You can do so much to prepare a case, have enough evidence for your NOA2, and then just on a whim a consulate agent can just be like, "Nope.". 

Are they just trying to get applicants in and out of there so they can go to lunch early or something? I'm very sorry this has happened to you. My fiance, when she applied for a tourist visa two times, and she was denied outright at the interview stage, she feels so nervous about the K1 interview that they'll just flatly deny her, despite all of our evidence of our relationship. 

Waited 10 months for a interview that didn't last ten minutes. I'm not sure what  happened.

Timeline
14 hours ago, payxibka said:

No guarantees, but it did for me 

Thanks I appreciate your help. I even emailed my congresswoman so she can also email on my behalf. At this point it can't hurt.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
15 minutes ago, Reconnecting Reco said:

Waited 10 months for a interview that didn't last ten minutes. I'm not sure what  happened.

I'm really so sorry for you. I hope you guys can figure out the next step and it will work out for you. When that sort of thing happens, I know the fiance waiting in the other country is likely to feel so much worse. When my fiance got denied a tourist visa two times, and I wasn't there to help her with the rejection it was very painful. Long distance couples really have to be so strong to endure this stuff. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Reconnecting Reco said:

I make a 6 figure income

We have dozens of pictures many with her family

And there is a 6 year age difference between us. At this point I have no idea why she denied it I went above and beyond the bare minimum to qualify.

I, too ,  have income that exceeds

i  had red flag of big age difference

you don't have 

many have said "return and marry"

that is what i also had to do

we are all so sorry this happened to you

her embassy only approved 11 K 1 visas in June 

i am sorry as i am not familiar with this embassy for any real insight as to number of applications there or why the staffe denies

the portal page from the above drop down list will take you directly to posters from Ethiopia / it may be helpful to read the embassy reviews and posts there

good luck to you

best advice we can say is marry and apply CR1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
19 minutes ago, Reconnecting Reco said:

Thanks I appreciate your help. I even emailed my congresswoman so she can also email on my behalf. At this point it can't hurt.

Congressional inquiry is futile so don't count on any positive assistance 

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
26 minutes ago, Reconnecting Reco said:

Most visa interviews are that or less in length 

Did you get a detailed debrief from your fiancee?  Because after speaking to my fiancee,  I knew exactly what happened and how to craft my email. 

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
18 hours ago, Reconnecting Reco said:

Her interview was today and she was unfortunately denied. The reason she was given was the interviewer didn't believe in the relationship but didn't ask to see any of the proof she brought with her. She was issued a 221g but it doesn't say anything about whag documents she needs. I did get a email saying it will be sent back to USCIS where it will be expired. I'm confused on what the next move should be.

Sorry to hear.  Only positive I can get out of this is they denied right away instead of putting her in AP and denied after year.  You can marry her and file I-130.  There's very limited option after K1 visa denied.  Good luck.

2 hours ago, Elif_and_Greg said:

They are not required to review additional documentation at the interview. Usually they will, but if something else tipped them off that it's not going to change the result, then they may skip it.

No idea why they didn't look at it in any particular case, though.

1 hour ago, Reconnecting Reco said:

I make a 6 figure income

We have dozens of pictures many with her family

What evidence did you include with the I-129F?

Edit: See the item in bold. Never go by bare minimums.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Unfortunately a lot (some) of the time they have decided that they are going to deny ahead of time....

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
2 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

facetime 

difference of religion

i have an age gap with my fiancee, do you think i can be denied i'm over 30 years old and my fiancee over 40 years old i'm from Europe. I saw couple with big age gap approved and it was the woman who was older. Thank you

20 hours ago, Hyuga said:

i have an age gap with my fiancee, do you think i can be denied i'm over 30 years old and my fiancee over 40 years old i'm from Europe. I saw couple with big age gap approved and it was the woman who was older. Thank you

Not generally an issue for European countries.

We have a 26 year difference from Asia.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
1 minute ago, Paul & Mary said:

Not generally an issue for European countries.

We have a 26 year difference from Asia.

Thank you even if she is a woman, thank you

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.