TBoneTX

November 2018 AOS Filers, Part 2

439 posts in this topic

Hey all, I have a question-

what happens when I receive my GC in terms of driving? I have my license that I got in the UK, so do I go straight to the DMV? Or should I take a couple of lessons to bring me back up to speed? Will I need another driving test? I’m not sure how all of it is going to work and I don’t want to sit at the DMV for hours and then get told they can’t help me or something 😂

49 minutes ago, Penny&Lee said:

what happens when I receive my GC in terms of driving? I have my license that I got in the UK, so do I go straight to the DMV? Or should I take a couple of lessons to bring me back up to speed? Will I need another driving test? I’m not sure how all of it is going to work and I don’t want to sit at the DMV for hours and then get told they can’t help me or something 😂

After going to the dmv 6 times my husband finally got his US drivers license! The people at our dmv in NJ were terrible and never gave us all the information. He does not have his green card yet (interview August 22nd 🤗) but was able to get a limited time NJ drivers license once he was approved for his EAD/AP. My husband is also from the UK and was only required to take the written test not the driving test. It might be different depending on what state you live in though.

He filled out the paperwork as a license transfer and brought his 6 points of ID (passport, EAD/AP, a bill with our address, his debit card, SSN card). He also brought in his UK license.

Luck!

Edited by Katelyngene

5 hours ago, Penny&Lee said:

Totally depends on the state but a GC plus other docs will grant you a full term license that will expire on the expiry date of the GC.

Ensure your SSN name matches the GC name though. That's usually a requirement.

Whether you have to take the road test will be up to your state.

Researching yous state DMV for non US citizen DLs will be helpful.

On 7/27/2019 at 5:07 PM, Katelyngene said:

After going to the dmv 6 times my husband finally got his US drivers license! The people at our dmv in NJ were terrible and never gave us all the information. He does not have his green card yet (interview August 22nd 🤗) but was able to get a limited time NJ drivers license once he was approved for his EAD/AP. My husband is also from the UK and was only required to take the written test not the driving test. It might be different depending on what state you live in though.

He filled out the paperwork as a license transfer and brought his 6 points of ID (passport, EAD/AP, a bill with our address, his debit card, SSN card). He also brought in his UK license.

Luck!

22 hours ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Totally depends on the state but a GC plus other docs will grant you a full term license that will expire on the expiry date of the GC.

Ensure your SSN name matches the GC name though. That's usually a requirement.

Whether you have to take the road test will be up to your state.

Researching yous state DMV for non US citizen DLs will be helpful.

Thank you both so much! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

250 days here................

My husband called and said due to us submitting inquiries on both EAD/AP the case gets transferred to another office so they can't review it until the time is up for the 30 days. So in case anyone thought it was speed things along.. 

K1 Journey from Spain to USA :wub:
10-25-2017 I-129F Sent to Lewisville
10-27-2017 NOA1
XX-XX-XXXX NOA2 :jest:
XX-XX-XXXX NVC Received
XX-XX-XXXX Interview Scheduled
XX-XX-XXXX POE :whistle:
XX-XX-XXXX Married 

15 hours ago, Penny&Lee said:

Thank you both so much! 

Don't worry too much if you do have to take your driving test, I worried about mine but never left the parking lot except to do a three point turn (which I did in more than three because my car was stupidly long), and I walked away with a driving license. The written test is multiple choice - worth reviewing some things because there are some differences between the way the UK does things and the US.

Maybe also see if you can find some videos of tests in your state too, I found that helped me know what to expect.

ROC Timeline:

Date format is MM/DD/YY

05/16/19 - Green Card Issue Date

03/10/21 - Sent ROC paperwork to Phoenix, AZ | USPS 2-Day Shipping

04/07/21 - NOA1 Text Messages Received

18 hours ago, Penny&Lee said:

Thank you both so much! 

I also wouldn't worry. My husband's taken it twice now and passed with a 98% both times. He took it the first time because Missouri allowed him to get a licence with a K1 (and then three temporary driver permits valid for 60 days after his licence expired) and the second time he had to take it because he was able to get a licence with his EAD/AP card but his first licence had been expired for 6 months. I'm still making fun of him for not get 100% the second time around. You know how to drive and as long as you do it sensibly and just a bit more cautious than usual, you'll pass with flying colors.

Matt had me take the UK hazard perception test and the UK written test a few months ago. And I failed both. Miserably. I've had my licence since I was 17 and have only become a better driver since I passed with the bare minimum 70%. So yeah, all of you who have had driving courses like those of the UK and Germany (which are the only countries outside of the US that I know have pretty intense driving lessons), you'll be fine.

Edited by rrobin0609

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Hi everyone! Quick question:

Our interview is schedule for the end of Aug (wooo!) and my husband had his overseas medical last year in July. I was under the impression that the medical is only good for one year, but according to the I-693 instructions "You are not required to have another medical examination as long as you file your Form I-485 within one year of an overseas medical examination." 

Since his medical was in July 2018, and we filed AOS in November, according to this statement, he should be okay to NOT have another medical, correct? 

I'd love just a little clarification/validation because this whole time I was thinking he'd need another medical since it's been over a year. Thank you!!!

Edited by vaksurik

K1 VISA

NOA1 - Dec 12

NOA2 - June 29

Visa in hand - Sept 22

POE - Sept 25 

Marriage - Oct 6 🥂

AOS

Packet Sent - Nov 5, 2018

NOA1 - Nov 9, 2018

NOA1 Received in mail - Nov 16, 2018

EAD Card Approved - June 4, 2019

3 minutes ago, vaksurik said:

Our interview is schedule for the end of Aug (wooo!) and my husband had his overseas medical last year in July. I was under the impression that the medical is only good for one year, but according to the I-693 instructions "You are not required to have another medical examination as long as you file your Form I-485 within one year of an overseas medical examination." 

Since his medical was in July 2018, and we filed AOS in November, according to this statement, he should be okay to NOT have another medical, correct? 

I'd love just a little clarification/validation because this whole time I was thinking he'd need another medical since it's been over a year. Thank you!!!

He should be OK.

Just in case the IO gets confused, print the requirements page and bring them to the interview. 

6 minutes ago, vaksurik said:

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-8-part-b-chapter-3

"4. K or V Nonimmigrants Applying for Adjustment [26]

K and V nonimmigrants applying for adjustment of status are not required to repeat the medical examination if the application was filed within one year of the date of the original medical examination, and:

The medical examination did not reveal a Class A medical condition; or

The applicant received a conditional waiver in conjunction with the K or V nonimmigrant visa or the change of status to V and the applicant submits evidence of compliance with the waiver terms and conditions. [27]

If a new medical examination is required and reveals a Class A medical condition, a new waiver application will also be required. In such cases, the officer should determine whether the applicant complied with the terms and conditions of the first waiver, if applicable. Such determination should be given considerable weight in the adjudication of a subsequent waiver application. [28]

Even if a new medical examination is not required, applicants must still comply with the vaccination requirements if the vaccination record was not included as part of the original medical examination report. If the vaccination report was properly completed at the time of the overseas examination, the officer may accept the vaccination assessment completed by the panel physician.

An applicant’s overseas medical examination report completed by a panel physician should already be in the applicant’s A-file. If it is not in the A-file, the officer should request the medical examination report through a Request for Evidence (RFE).

If the applicant was granted a change of status to V in the United States, [29] the medical examination report completed by the civil surgeon should be in the A-file created at the time that the change of status was initially granted."

If you complied with the above and filed AOS within one year of your overseas medical exam date, the I693 and its procedures/policies do not apply to you as a K1 applicant. It does not matter when your AOS interview happens, as long as you filed AOS within one year of the medical exam date (and you meet the above conditions), your medical will never expire.
Submit a photocopy of your personal copy of the DS3025 Vaccination Record with I485 and bring your personal copy to the AOS interview as back up.
Your actual overseas medical exam documents were collected at your POE as they were IN your sealed K1 Visa packet and will be sent from CBP to DHS for storage in your A-file.
Your interviewing officer will collect your A-file for review at your AOS interview or shortly after and confirm that your previously submitted K1 medical exam and vaccinations meet the requirements.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline
5 hours ago, JMCKNG said:

250 days here................

My husband called and said due to us submitting inquiries on both EAD/AP the case gets transferred to another office so they can't review it until the time is up for the 30 days. So in case anyone thought it was speed things along.. 

That's odd! My husband called today as well, and they didn't say anything about this. Although they didn't say anything about anything, really, except "everything looks good". <_<

5 hours ago, RambaCat said:

Don't worry too much if you do have to take your driving test, I worried about mine but never left the parking lot except to do a three point turn (which I did in more than three because my car was stupidly long), and I walked away with a driving license. The written test is multiple choice - worth reviewing some things because there are some differences between the way the UK does things and the US.

Maybe also see if you can find some videos of tests in your state too, I found that helped me know what to expect.

2 hours ago, rrobin0609 said:

I also wouldn't worry. My husband's taken it twice now and passed with a 98% both times. He took it the first time because Missouri allowed him to get a licence with a K1 (and then three temporary driver permits valid for 60 days after his licence expired) and the second time he had to take it because he was able to get a licence with his EAD/AP card but his first licence had been expired for 6 months. I'm still making fun of him for not get 100% the second time around. You know how to drive and as long as you do it sensibly and just a bit more cautious than usual, you'll pass with flying colors.

Matt had me take the UK hazard perception test and the UK written test a few months ago. And I failed both. Miserably. I've had my licence since I was 17 and have only become a better driver since I passed with the bare minimum 70%. So yeah, all of you who have had driving courses like those of the UK and Germany (which are the only countries outside of the US that I know have pretty intense driving lessons), you'll be fine.

Yasss so good to hear that it’s easier than the UK. I will do a little research regardless to bring me up to speed but I’m glad to hear you both had pretty good experiences! Thanks both :)

2 hours ago, vaksurik said:

I was worried about this also, had my medical in May and filed in Nov (so longer than you!) and I was fine. I took a copy of my DS2053 and vaccination history but she didn’t ask to see either at my interview. You will be ok :)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
52 minutes ago, kanderson101 said:

That's odd! My husband called today as well, and they didn't say anything about this. Although they didn't say anything about anything, really, except "everything looks good". <_<

Same here. Day 250 and still they say “everything looks good” and just to wait :( Aaaaahhh going crazy over here

Received my APPROVAL letter in the mail today!!!! It’s really real. Absolutely ecstatic :) but one point to note is that regardless of me changing my address through the USCIS website AND the officer correcting our address at the interview, it was sent to our old house. Thankfully it’s my in-laws home, but it’s pretty annoying as it’s 30 minutes away from us.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.