Barefootek

Divorce and Remarry: Getting to the US Faster on a K-1 Visa?

88 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Also wondering why divorcing would be considered fraud? Stupid, impractical but fraud?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
20 hours ago, Barefootek said:

I understand that the idea is extreme, but I, being the one considering it, don't understand the idea being absurd. Going through the BS of adjustment of status does not sound like a bad trade off for getting my wife and newborn daughter to the US 4 months faster. Four months is a long time to miss out of my daughter's life, not to mention that of my wife. I don't know if I would make the choice, but I am curious if it is an option. My concern would be that the K1 visa would be declined because of trying to work the system. 

probably would get you a denial as you are circumventing the system

so,  then what,  expense of going back to marry and an added 12 to 14 months

so, you are willing to make a "maybe " 14 month wait into 2 years????

and you don't mention the country but many K1''s are taking as long as a CR1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hypothetically, would a denial for doing this really be realistic? Or would it just lead to a much longer process with a whole bunch of complicated questions? What would the reason for the denial be? I don't think circumventing the system would be it as he would end up spending more time doing the K1 than the CR1 and therefor not benefit from it.  It is not fraud clearly. 

It's a very bad idea but I don't see a legit reason for denial unless they mess up and apply before the divorce is final. I am not condoning this idea as it is a bad one, I am just curious why people assume it would be denied and what the actual reason would be. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I don't think this strategy would be seen as fraud......however, from a financial and strategical aspect, I don't think it would achieve the stated goal.....or even worse, it might cause negative and unintended consequences.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
37 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Also wondering why divorcing would be considered fraud? Stupid, impractical but fraud?

an improperly filed petition? this isnt a case of a divorced couple reconciling after a significant time apart (because that happens all the time), this is manipulation of the system, or attempted manipulation, at best 

they could divorce sure and file a k1, but the fact they were only divorced for say a couple of weeks and then file for a k1.... you tell me that it doesnt look suspicious and at best could wind up in AP forever and a day. i really dont think they would look kindly on it at all, and would use what they can to hold it up.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
3 minutes ago, debbiedoo said:

an improperly filed petition? this isnt a case of a divorced couple reconciling after a significant time apart (because that happens all the time), this is manipulation of the system, or attempted manipulation, at best 

they could divorce sure and file a k1, but the fact they were only divorced for say a couple of weeks and then file for a k1.... you tell me that it doesnt look suspicious and at best could wind up in AP forever and a day. i really dont think they would look kindly on it at all, and would use what they can to hold it up.

The end goal is the same, they are looking for an immigration benefit I assume legitimately.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

42 minutes ago, debbiedoo said:

Divorce = they don't want to be together.

So, why would he apply for a K1 for someone he just divorced?

When applying for a K1 immediately after divorce, the question is how can they be in a bona fide relationship if they just divorced?  And if the relationship is bona fide, why did they divorce? Doesn't make sense and risky, and could cause delays or worse.

A very suspicious situation if I was reviewing the case.

Not to mention what I said in my earlier comment. If they divorce, there is no guarantee she is going to want to marry him again. Just saying.

Op: Don't go backwards unless you are rethinking the relationship.  If you want to be with this person, you are already married. Time to to move forward and CR1. 

Edited by andy78

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
10 minutes ago, andy78 said:

So, why would he apply for a K1 for someone he just divorced?

When applying for a K1 immediately after divorce, the question is how can they be in a bona fide relationship if they just divorced?  And if the relationship is bona fide, why did they divorce? Doesn't make sense and risky, and could cause delays or worse.

A very suspicious situation if I was reviewing the case.

Not to mention what I said in my earlier comment. If they divorce, there is no guarantee she is going to want to marry him again. Just saying.

Op: Don't go backwards unless you are rethinking the relationship.  If you want to be with this person, you are already married. Time to to move forward and CR1. 

If both of them agree to go that route why wouldn't she want to get re-married? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
17 minutes ago, andy78 said:

Not necessarily........as in this case......and a letter of intent as fiances would indicate they DO want to be together.

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
52 minutes ago, debbiedoo said:

Suspicious of what?  Your are putting forth your personal opinion as some form of fact 

YMMV

1 minute ago, Unidentified said:

If both of them agree to go that route why wouldn't she want to get re-married? 

Divorce is an opportunity to reconsider life decisions, even if the plan is to stay with the same person. I am not saying it's a likely scenario, just that it complicates things and leads to more choices/decision making, and there is no 100% guarantees. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Suspicious of what?  Your are putting forth your personal opinion as some form of fact 

i didnt say it was a fact. i do say its suspicious and i do believe it would be heavily scrutinized. 

i dont care what OP does. its not my immigration case. 

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The OP has received sufficient advice to decide his course.

This thread risks going (or is already) off the rails, so it's now closed to further comment.

Please do not restart or revisit this topic.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.