LorenaE (B)

Help, I need legal wedding advice

32 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

My interview is about to happen in a month, I'm collecting all my paperwork and I'm so excited and nervous!!

The thing is, my fiance and I got married in a catholic church last September. We did that because my family can't travel to the US and his family can't come over, so, from the beginning we decided to have 2 weddings... a religious one here and a legal one there.

In Mexico, a religious wedding isn't considered legally valid by itself, so, we aren't in a marriage recognized by the government.

I wanted to submit our wedding pictures as evidence that proves we are a real couple, but I have been wondering if it would affect our case.

I am thinking about getting a "not married status certificate" to support that evidence.

I guess my question is: should I do that or should I avoid the whole not legally married thing and not submit the pics?

Thank you for your help!!!

Including you marriage pictures would tend to show you are married.

There is a phrase used on here that matches your case.  Too married for a K1 and not married enough for a spousal visa.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
17 minutes ago, LorenaE (B) said:

I wanted to submit our wedding pictures as evidence that proves we are a real couple,

Extremely unwise......extremely.....never submit pictures which could look like a wedding....even if you are not legally married.

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
Just now, missileman said:

Extremely unwise......extremely.....never submit ambiguous evidence.....

Thank you, I won't take the pics then.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

Including you marriage pictures would tend to show you are married.

There is a phrase used on here that matches your case.  Too married for a K1 and not married enough for a spousal visa.

Thank you, I won't take the pics to the interview then.

We figured to do it that way since our family situation is complicated and we wanted both families to be part of it.

We don't know when we are going to be able to come back to Mexico because of the status adjustment, so we did it before leaving.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
2 minutes ago, LorenaE (B) said:

Thank you, I won't take the pics to the interview then.

We figured to do it that way since our family situation is complicated and we wanted both families to be part of it.

We don't know when we are going to be able to come back to Mexico because of the status adjustment, so we did it before leaving.

Why not legally marry in Mexico, and file CR-1?

Every couple has their own priorities, and each couple must decide which visa is better for their situation.

K-1
    Slightly faster arrival in the US (currently about 5 months sooner)    
    More expensive than CR-1    
    Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)    
    Spouse can not leave the US until she/he receives approved Advance Parole (approx 5-6 months)    
    Spouse can not work until she/he receives EAD (approx 5-6 months)    
    Some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period    
    Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.

CR-1
    Slightly slower arrival in the US (currently about 5 months later)

Less expensive than K-1    
    No Adjustment of Status(I-485, I-131, I-765) required.    
    Spouse can immediately travel outside the US    
    Spouse is authorized to work immediately upon arrival.    
    Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card within 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US    
    Opening a bank account, getting a driver's license, etc. are very easily accomplished with GC, SS card, and passport.

Spouse has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, missileman said:

Why not legally marry in Mexico, and file CR-1?

Every couple has their own priorities, and each couple must decide which visa is better for their situation.

K-1
    Slightly faster arrival in the US (currently about 5 months sooner)    
    More expensive than CR-1    
    Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)    
    Spouse can not leave the US until she/he receives approved Advance Parole (approx 5-6 months)    
    Spouse can not work until she/he receives EAD (approx 5-6 months)    
    Some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period    
    Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.

CR-1
    Slightly slower arrival in the US (currently about 5 months later)

Less expensive than K-1    
    No Adjustment of Status(I-485, I-131, I-765) required.    
    Spouse can immediately travel outside the US    
    Spouse is authorized to work immediately upon arrival.    
    Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card within 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US    
    Opening a bank account, getting a driver's license, etc. are very easily accomplished with GC, SS card, and passport.

Spouse has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US.

Because it has already taken a year and a half. The timelines said 7 months for a k1 Visa and it's been way longer than that. They are very behind on the cases at the USCIS and the consulate at the moment. 

A CR1 Visa would take like a year more and we are so close to being together now.

I don't have a tourist Visa and he can o fly travel twice a year.

It's been 5 years and we can only see each other twice a year.

It would just take too long.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
25 minutes ago, Roel said:

Church marriage means that you're already "too" married for K1 visa. It might not be "legal" in Mexico, but in the US embassy they will 100% see this as legal marriage.

Cancel K1 and start CR1 visa.

If the K-1 is rejected because the embassy considered them married, would the petitioner be subject to a ban for visa fraud?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Mike E said:

If the K-1 is rejected because the embassy considered them married, would the petitioner be subject to a ban for visa fraud?

No. It is more like a "technicality" no-fault issue but it will result a loss of time and money.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
12 minutes ago, LorenaE (B) said:

I just miss him so much, I need to be with him.

We all understand but most of people needed, need, and will need to wait and many waited much longer than others. Immigration is not so fun. The fact that it is Mexico can also considered a better thing compared to many others: it is quite cheap to travel from US to Mexico (I paid $1,000+ for each round trip to visit my wife) and 2.5-3 days vacation just for flightings.

Edited by VNN

Timeline
Just now, Roel said:

Yes, well, you're not the only one.

Many of us wanted to have our families attend out weddings but we followed the rules and sucked it up.

I'm sorry, yes, I made a mistake.

On the instructions it says that you can't be married according to the legal aspects in the country of the beneficiary, that's why I thought it was ok.

Please don't be so hard on me.

It is what it is, and what's done is done.

If I get rejected, then we will try again.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.