43 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

If the spouse was also legally married to someone else when filing the I130 and it was not disclosed, would that be an issue?

This is an issue, however, from the change for this issue to become an immigration proceeding may not be high. OP's ex-husband could get away with police report /civil docs submitted and was able to get married to OP.  None of the docs indicated he was married to someone else. USCIS/ICE must work with his home-country officials to determine some fraud was committed, I do not think they go this far. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Well IF he committed bigamy that would be an issue, no mention of any evidence to support that, I tend to assume that this is similar to other situations I have seen, probably a ban for something, waiver etc which was why it took so long and he had a local GF in the meantime.

I agree, there was an alluding to that in the OP, but having suspicions and actually having proof are two very different things. 

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

13 hours ago, lostsoul504 said:

hello, 

Im stuck in a bad situation right now, going through a bad divorce. After all these years of waiting for my soon to be ex husband to be home in the states with me turned out to be a 

a fake fake person. We married in his home country back in 2010 everything was a long process...I would travel to visit him occasionally...  well his visa finally got approved back in august of 2018

everything seemed to be going fine until he came home..... I found a wedding ring in his bag with his initial and the girl I caught him talking to initial ....but of course typical man denied everything. 

He pretty much left a family back home and possibly remarried and he couldn't be honest with me of course he wasn't going to give up this opportunity.  My question is what can I do at this point ?

is there anything I can do for fraud because thats what it was on his part. He came home august of 2018 and he left to live with his sister in October of 2018 . He pretty much just came to stay with me got

his permanent resident card then he booked it with all the excuses a lying man thats been caught in his game.

That almost happened to me, thank goodness I got out on time. I am soo sorry :(

7 hours ago, Bill & Katya said:

If the spouse was also legally married to someone else when filing the I130 and it was not disclosed, would that be an issue?

This is where I think she has the upper hand, if she can prove that he was already married, the marriage and be "voided" and he would be in a whole heap of #######, honestly this whole thing is a major risk and not something that I would do again tbh. I feel terrible for the OP, I hope she could find out if he infact is married and crucify his (removed).

Edited by Ontarkie
bypassing language filter

27 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I believe the man was married when he “married” OP. 

Ergo he didn’t actually marry OP.  

Thus his visa should not have been issued.  

And his green card should be revoked. And the man deported and banned for life. 

And presumably bigamy is illegal in his home country.  

Start with https://www.uscis.gov/report-fraud/combating-marriage-fraud-and-abuse--immigration-benefit-programs

This right here, OP find out if he was married somehow, if he is report it and his greencard revoked.

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

a) OP, I'm sorry you're going through this.

b) Take all steps to legally protect yourself.

c) Gather any / all evidence you have re his previous marriage.

d) Send that evidence to USCIS.  Get yourself a divorce.

e) Go forth and live a happy life.  You're due.

Edited by EmilyW

A ring does not prove he is/was married to someone else. Not sure which country he is from and how easy it would be to find evidence of an actual legal marriage, thus making his current marriage up the OP null and void. 

Having a lover on the side is not enough for immigration fraud to be decided. There was recently a thread from a female USC who found her husband’s profile on a gay dating website. She was naturally very upset and hurt and wanted to have him arrested or deported or both for marriage fraud but having a picture on a website is not enough to get ICE knocking at the door. The same applies to flirty messages with another or a ring found in a bag. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Dear ohh dear.

The OP was ranting, quite a bit of misandry in there, she was married in 2010 and the only thing she mentioned with any solidity was the ring with 2 initials, everything else was speculation.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

33 minutes ago, JFH said:

A ring does not prove he is/was married to someone else. Not sure which country he is from and how easy it would be to find evidence of an actual legal marriage, thus making his current marriage up the OP null and void. 

Having a lover on the side is not enough for immigration fraud to be decided. There was recently a thread from a female USC who found her husband’s profile on a gay dating website. She was naturally very upset and hurt and wanted to have him arrested or deported or both for marriage fraud but having a picture on a website is not enough to get ICE knocking at the door. The same applies to flirty messages with another or a ring found in a bag. 

5 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Dear ohh dear.

The OP was ranting, quite a bit of misandry in there, she was married in 2010 and the only thing she mentioned with any solidity was the ring with 2 initials, everything else was speculation.

I agree and also with some evidences, making USCIS/ICE act is another story.  Country like Vietnam only considers a couple is legally married when they have registered and received the marriage certificate - living together, having kids, calling each other husband and wife, having traditional wedding, etc won't make it a legal marriage. Without obtaining a marriage certificate to the other person, proving it as a fraud marriage in US court can be impossible.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Lets us see if the OP comes back, at the moment all I see is a unpleasant divorce. Well at least there are no children. The I 864 is usually more a theoretical issue.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

11 hours ago, nastra30 said:

I think OP is saying her husband was already married before marrying her.

Maybe not married but in a co-habitational union with kids....like in a common-law relationship. Those have no marriage license so if he put 'single' on his initial application, he's not lying. It sucks for the OP, though. :( 

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
18 hours ago, lostsoul504 said:

hello, 

Im stuck in a bad situation right now, going through a bad divorce. After all these years of waiting for my soon to be ex husband to be home in the states with me turned out to be a 

a fake fake person. We married in his home country back in 2010 everything was a long process...I would travel to visit him occasionally...  well his visa finally got approved back in august of 2018

everything seemed to be going fine until he came home..... I found a wedding ring in his bag with his initial and the girl I caught him talking to initial ....but of course typical man denied everything. 

He pretty much left a family back home and possibly remarried and he couldn't be honest with me of course he wasn't going to give up this opportunity.  My question is what can I do at this point ?

is there anything I can do for fraud because thats what it was on his part. He came home august of 2018 and he left to live with his sister in October of 2018 . He pretty much just came to stay with me got

his permanent resident card then he booked it with all the excuses a lying man thats been caught in his game.

@SarahX20 Read this. This could have been you! 

To the OP, Im so sorry this happened to you. No one deserves to be defrauded. Im praying for you and thats all I can offer as many senior members here can offer you great advice. 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

10685284_10203853223303551_1747007237_n.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
18 hours ago, nastra30 said:

If you suspect fraud marriage you can report it to USCIS and ICE. 

https://www.uscis.gov/report-fraud/combating-marriage-fraud-and-abuse--immigration-benefit-programs

Other than that since he already has a 10 year green card there's nothing else you can do. Just divorce and move on. You'll still be on hook for his Affidavit of Support.

20190514_195215.jpg

she can withdraw her AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT  though cant she?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

10685284_10203853223303551_1747007237_n.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.