17 posts in this topic

CR1 Red Flags?

Greetings y’all. I’m Plumbob, just another VJ brother looking to be together with his wife. After a 5.5 year relationship, my wife just had her interview last Tuesday in Vietnam. She was given a blue 221g for more supporting evidence. It’s been an emotionally draining week for both our families. I was thinking if I could post my case here if y’all VJ family members that might have a little extra time could give me your thoughts on my case.

A little about me, I’m a born and raised farmers boy from the great state of California. Both my parents were Vietnam refugees who met here and married. I spend my days running the family farm and the only legal issues I ran into in my 33 years was an illegal left turn when I was 17 near the high school. 

I’m an importer of seeds from Vietnam for our family vegetable farm. When I found out the girl working on the Vietnam side spoke the same home language I spoke at home, I was in love. I learned we were the same people, ethnic Chinese Vietnamese. The language we speak is being replaced by mainstream Cantonese. Therefore since we both spoke this language at a young age, I surely was in love(she’s 26 this year). This was in March of 2014. When things got serious, I met her aunt that lives a couple hours away. We exchanged gifts, a lot of interaction between our families. We spoke daily by messenger. My wife tried unsuccessfully to apply for a visit in December of 2015. Then in July 2016 we met. My mom came a long to meet my wife. I stayed for 34 days. My mom could only stay 8 days. After coming home to the USA we had a lot of cultural differences but we worked them out. It wouldn’t be until August of 2017 did I go back to marry my wife. So a year after first meeting we got married. We only did the engagement ceremony and made offerings to her ancestors. Her extended family came to support us. We bought the customary jewelry except for the rings. Took a lot of photos. But the night before, while exercising I had tripped over a loose paver stone. My ankle was in pain and so I relied on the other ankle. Long story short,  what was supposed to be a 30 day trip turned into 70 since both ankles and knees were sprained. Now the reason why is because I’m a heavy set fella. 170 days after returning to the states was I able to go file the CR1. In the 170 days I was in an acute rehabilitation facility since I lost all my muscle in my legs trying to get back on my feet. Fast forward to 327 days later my wife was able to go have her interview. We had a consultant that helped with everything. The interview was going great, the CO only wanted to see the marriage certificate, the CO said approved but at the last minute saw the previous denial and got suspicious. The CO asked 18 questions:

1. Why did you file for visitors visa?
  2. Why did your husband only meet you 2 times?
  3. Why is your husband parents co sponsoring? 
  4. Where are the marriage photos?
  5. Why do you speak English with your husband and not Chinese?

I could not get any more information from my wife yet of the interview because she’s just so upset. We all are. The blue sheet requested these actions to take place within a year:

1. Beneficiary must register address for document and passport delivery.
  2. Petitioner and beneficiary in a signed statement provide address, telephone numbers of previous ex spouses.
  3. Petitioner please provide proof of purchase of airline tickets
  4. Based upon information ascertained through interview, CO does not believe a Bona Fide relationship exists. If you have any other evidence to present which would reasonably convince a person that a relationship exists other than immigration please submit it. Please label and itemize all materials submitted.
  5. Beneficiary in signed statement please list all relatives living in the United States.
  6. Petitioner and beneficiary please download and fill out family relationships form.
  7. Petitioner in a signed statement please provide timeline of your relationship.
  8. Petitioner and beneficiary in a signed statement please provide physical address where you currently live and email address. 

Then it lists the instructions on how to submit these documents. 

I think my wife was caught off guard and became nervous when the CO became suspicious. The CO returned my wife’s passport and documents. The CO said she needed more evidence. It seems straightforward but in my head it seems like the sky is falling. Can y’all give me some of your thoughts on my case?

What did you include in your original packet? Did you have photos? You need airline tickets, passport stamps help, pictures together, pictures with family, call logs, fb logs any evidence you can possibly get helps. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
32 minutes ago, Plumbob85 said:

CR1 Red Flags?

Greetings y’all. I’m Plumbob, just another VJ brother looking to be together with his wife. After a 5.5 year relationship, my wife just had her interview last Tuesday in Vietnam. She was given a blue 221g for more supporting evidence. It’s been an emotionally draining week for both our families. I was thinking if I could post my case here if y’all VJ family members that might have a little extra time could give me your thoughts on my case.

A little about me, I’m a born and raised farmers boy from the great state of California. Both my parents were Vietnam refugees who met here and married. I spend my days running the family farm and the only legal issues I ran into in my 33 years was an illegal left turn when I was 17 near the high school. 

I’m an importer of seeds from Vietnam for our family vegetable farm. When I found out the girl working on the Vietnam side spoke the same home language I spoke at home, I was in love. I learned we were the same people, ethnic Chinese Vietnamese. The language we speak is being replaced by mainstream Cantonese. Therefore since we both spoke this language at a young age, I surely was in love(she’s 26 this year). This was in March of 2014. When things got serious, I met her aunt that lives a couple hours away. We exchanged gifts, a lot of interaction between our families. We spoke daily by messenger. My wife tried unsuccessfully to apply for a visit in December of 2015. Then in July 2016 we met. My mom came a long to meet my wife. I stayed for 34 days. My mom could only stay 8 days. After coming home to the USA we had a lot of cultural differences but we worked them out. It wouldn’t be until August of 2017 did I go back to marry my wife. So a year after first meeting we got married. We only did the engagement ceremony and made offerings to her ancestors. Her extended family came to support us. We bought the customary jewelry except for the rings. Took a lot of photos. But the night before, while exercising I had tripped over a loose paver stone. My ankle was in pain and so I relied on the other ankle. Long story short,  what was supposed to be a 30 day trip turned into 70 since both ankles and knees were sprained. Now the reason why is because I’m a heavy set fella. 170 days after returning to the states was I able to go file the CR1. In the 170 days I was in an acute rehabilitation facility since I lost all my muscle in my legs trying to get back on my feet. Fast forward to 327 days later my wife was able to go have her interview. We had a consultant that helped with everything. The interview was going great, the CO only wanted to see the marriage certificate, the CO said approved but at the last minute saw the previous denial and got suspicious. The CO asked 18 questions:

I could not get any more information from my wife yet of the interview because she’s just so upset. We all are. The blue sheet requested these actions to take place within a year:

2. Petitioner and beneficiary in a signed statement provide address, telephone numbers of previous ex spouses.
  4. Based upon information ascertained through interview, CO does not believe a Bona Fide relationship exists. If you have any other evidence to present which would reasonably convince a person that a relationship exists other than immigration please submit it. Please label and itemize all materials submitted.
  5. Beneficiary in signed statement please list all relatives living in the United States.
  6. Petitioner and beneficiary please download and fill out family relationships form.
  7. Petitioner in a signed statement please provide timeline of your relationship.
  8. Petitioner and beneficiary in a signed statement please provide physical address where you currently live and email address. 

I think my wife was caught off guard and became nervous when the CO became suspicious. The CO returned my wife’s passport and documents. The CO said she needed more evidence. It seems straightforward but in my head it seems like the sky is falling. Can y’all give me some of your thoughts on my case?

A couple of things jumped out at me:

1. the supposedly "wedding" pictures: they can't differentiate between weddings and engagements

2. your income: if your parents cosponsor then it means you don't quite make enough (unsure how or why)

3. your heritage and background: fraud marriages are real, especially among the Viet and Chinese

I am sorry, it sucks regardless. I have had people whom I considered friends who married just for the GC. Well, we obviously are no longer friends.

Edited by Ameriaussie

15 minutes ago, Redheadguy03 said:

What did you include in your original packet? Did you have photos? You need airline tickets, passport stamps help, pictures together, pictures with family, call logs, fb logs any evidence you can possibly get helps. 

Redheadguy03 thank you for replying. In the original packet I submitted photos of the engagement ceremony, airline tickets, copies of my passport stamps and other photos together. 

In the interview we had a stack 2 inches thick of photos, receipts of western union, receipt of the jewelry, hotel receipts with both our names. Photos of various activities. The only thing we did not have was the timeline.

41 minutes ago, Plumbob85 said:

Provide those items and you should be back on track.

For a 5 and a half year relationship you need to have meet more.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I would advise you to give them EVERYTHING they want and more to support your relationship.  Insurance, wills, trusts, etc........legal documents and/or documents show a common address/connection..........

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

From my experiences with US Embassy in Saigon,  you missing some critical things:

- You both can speak common language , but submit documents showed you both talking in different language is a No.

- In your case, you only visit 2 time that is another big No.

-Wedding ceremony in VN is a critical evidence. Also, CO want to see the evidence before marriage too.

- Lastly, i'm 100% CO will approved the visa if you show up at the interview with you spouse, and believe me most CO want to see that.

15 hours ago, H&T said:

From my experiences with US Embassy in Saigon,  you missing some critical things:

- You both can speak common language , but submit documents showed you both talking in different language is a No.

- In your case, you only visit 2 time that is another big No.

-Wedding ceremony in VN is a critical evidence. Also, CO want to see the evidence before marriage too.

- Lastly, i'm 100% CO will approved the visa if you show up at the interview with you spouse, and believe me most CO want to see that.

I agreed that the chance OP's wife gets approved will significantly increase when OP turns in the additional docs with OP's wife (I would not say 100% but it can be 100%).  My friend got similar request but his relationship with his wife was shorter (around 3 years). After he traveled there to go with his wife to submit the additional docs, they got approved.

I was with my wife so they only asked a few questions then approved without seeing any supporting docs we brought in.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Also wondering why the CO got suspicious all of a sudden when he saw the previous, I assume B2 visa denial. Wondering what was possibly put on that application that raised an alarm to the CO.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Maybe USCIS thinks its an arranged marriage?

Formally Known as Paris Heart   A long, long time ago       france paris GIF

N-400  APPLIED FOR CITIZENSHIP:    Interview will be Houston Tx office.

Mailed:  11/13/2023

Delivered to USCIS Lock Box:  11/15/2023

Credit Card payment processed:  11-16-2023

Received Receipt #   via Text:  11-17-2023

I-797C Receipt received:  11-27-2023

Biometrics  will be reused per letter: 11-27-2023

FILED  AOS FROM AN EXPIRED VISITORS VISA:

Sent: 9/12/16: I-130 + I-485 + I-765 (USPS)

Delivered: Sept. 15th 2016 to Chicago Lock Box

Interview Feb  21st, 2018 for I-485

Interview  May 13th, 2019 for I-130 Stokes interview ( 2 minutes)

NOID issued May 17th 2019

June 5th,2019   USCIS received my response on the  NOID// Addressed the NOID myself, No lawyer ever used in case.

July 1st, 2019  10 YEAR GREEN CARD APPROVED

July 5th, 2019   Approval letters for I-130 & I-485 received in the USPS  mail.

July 11th 2019   Green Card in Hand

happy tom and jerry GIF

1 hour ago, Beth & Achraf said:

Potentially but it is not rare with Vietnamese culture where the couple being: Introduced by a relative. Although arranged marriages are no longer oblivious like the past, many still have some type of arrangements. 

My wife's and my family have been friends for 3 decades and we were neighbors before my family immigrated to US, then later her family immigrated to US. However, she was over the legal age to be included in the petition.  Two families no longer live in the same cities but we still visit each other on our holidays or vacations, including some pictures in our petition with 2 families having great time.  Our relationship is probably considered as arranged but my wife got visa around 10 months I petitioned for her.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
2 hours ago, Beth & Achraf said:

Arranged marriages are legal and acceptable in many cultures. As long as a marriage wasn't arranged for immigration purposes, that wouldn't be reason for a visa denial.

OP: Send them everything they want and more, if you have it.

Also, visit and spend more time with her. For a couple who's been married for 5 and a half years, you've spent very little time together in real life and obviously the CO finds that suspicious.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
On 5/12/2019 at 6:03 PM, Plumbob85 said:

CR1 Red Flags?

Simple question..why only two visits in over 5 years? From first appearance that is what stands out to me as a red flag. 

NOA 1:           September 18, 2018

NOA 2:           August  20, 2019 

Sent NVC:      September 11, 2019

Rec NVC:       September 18, 2019

Case #           October 16, 2019

Docs Sub:      October 21, 2019

Doc Qual.       October  22, 2019 

IL:                    January 23, 2020

INT. Date:       February 11, 2020

APPROVED

POE  Date      March 11, 2020

GC Received  July 3, 2020

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

#2 on the second portion pertaining to Blue sheet stands out to me. Did your wife state she was married on her previous B visa application when in reality she wasn't?

Edited by theresaL

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.