18 posts in this topic

Hello,

I moved to the US on a K1 in October and applied for AOS, EAD/AP in November. I received an RFIE today for AOS/i-485 and it's in regards to my Birth Certificate. I am completely confused why I got an RFIE, as the document I submitted is a CERTIFIED copy issued by my government in the UK. It's a full birth certificate, written in ENGLISH. This birth certificate has been used for years and accepted at every point it has been used, by the UK government AND during my K1 application. I don't understand why now it's suddenly an issue. I have included the relevant pictures below with personal information blanked out, if anyone has any advise please let me know. Thanks! 

pBdQ8X8.jpg

gS0wuBR.jpg

m2MiQaX.jpg

Sounds like they mistakenly sent a form letter that did not pertain exactly.  Do you have another certified copy you could send?  I would do that, along with a copy of the RFIE with the (ir)relevant portion highlighted and a letter explaining that your BC is indeed in English, and was not a translation.

1 minute ago, Jorgedig said:

Sounds like they mistakenly sent a form letter that did not pertain exactly.  Do you have another certified copy you could send?  I would do that, along with a copy of the RFIE with the (ir)relevant portion highlighted and a letter explaining that your BC is indeed in English, and was not a translation.

That's what I figured too. Luckily I have several printed copies of it, I just don't understand how in the heck they say it's a 'translation'. I'm tempted to schedule an infopass at this point 

15 minutes ago, JunkTardis said:

That's what I figured too. Luckily I have several printed copies of it, I just don't understand how in the heck they say it's a 'translation'. I'm tempted to schedule an infopass at this point 

My kiwi husband would have several choice comments to make about American English at this point 😂

5 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

My kiwi husband would have several choice comments to make about American English at this point 😂

Oh trust me, I'd certainly join him in that one! I scheduled an infopass for Tuesday, and I guess I'll re-send another copy this afternoon 

1 minute ago, JunkTardis said:

Oh trust me, I'd certainly join him in that one! I scheduled an infopass for Tuesday, and I guess I'll re-send another copy this afternoon 

Good plan.  And hopefully you won't have to deliver a dissertation on the origins of the English language at your info pass 😉

1 hour ago, Jorgedig said:

Good plan.  And hopefully you won't have to deliver a dissertation on the origins of the English language at your info pass 😉

Let's hope not! I wish I could just give them an earful about such a nonsensical RFIE! 

1 hour ago, AnneA said:

You could send 2 copies and write translation on one of them 😂

Infopass scheduled, and I resent another copy of my Birth Certificate with a polite handwritten note making mention of the fact that my BC was issued in England, in English 😂

Filed: Timeline

Just a quick question. What do you expect to gain at infopass? USCIS does not offer help or advice. They also don't accept RFE responses through infopass. 

If the office is close to you and you have the time then it won't hurt to go but I am sure infopass is just going to shrug at it and tell you to mail your response.

RFEs are computer generated so errors do occur. Make sure your BC is certified- which if you used it for K process I'm sure it is fine and send the response.

4 minutes ago, username_taken said:

Just a quick question. What do you expect to gain at infopass? USCIS does not offer help or advice. They also don't accept RFE responses through infopass. 

If the office is close to you and you have the time then it won't hurt to go but I am sure infopass is just going to shrug at it and tell you to mail your response.

RFEs are computer generated so errors do occur. Make sure your BC is certified- which if you used it for K process I'm sure it is fine and send the response.

I had planned to go to InfoPass anyway to try and expedite EAD/AP as my parents are pretty sick and are both undergoing major surgery at the moment so I'd ideally like to go and see if they are okay - which is allowed afaik.

Mentioning the BC to them will just be an aside. It's definitely certified, plain English and I've always used it for everything 

10 hours ago, username_taken said:

Sorry to hear about your parents. Just FYI- you would be asking for expedited AP only. They wont give you an expedited EAD/AP combo card  for emergency travel but they can give you an expedited AP only. It would be a paper document. 

Thank you! Yeah that's pretty much what I figured too. Either way it'd be nice to be able to make sure my parents are okay, I was gonna have them scan and mail me all their Doctor's notes to me later today to take with me to InfoPass next week so I can go ahead and see them in June

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

If AOS was filed in November, your combo card should be showing up pretty soon. Average has been about 5 months. Hopefully it does, but you're so far along the expedite might not matter, I would think you would have it by June for sure, but better safe than sorry.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

Probably one of the reasons you got this RFE right now is because they started with your EAD (not always but sometimes once this resolves you get your approval) Really sorry about your family...

And this is by far the most ridiculous RFE I have ever seen... I am embarrassed on their behalf 🤦‍♀️

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.