bdglen

"Detailed Personal Interview"?????

56 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, bdglen said:

WOW!  That is almost frightening, those questions were so random and crazy... When was your city founded????? How many employees in your company????  I am so glad you got approved, but now I'm more nervous than ever.

Yeah my fiance, now husband, at the time was pretty shaken up after the interview and said he was nervous about getting something wrong, getting denied, and then disappointing me.  I would suggest being as prepared as you can be for the interview, know the basics like the back of your hand, and for any other items that may come up be prepared with a nice way of saying "I don't know".  That's what my fiance did and it worked out for us.  I can see how some things he asked couples discuss (why your parents divorced) but some of the questions seemed there just to throw him off base (what year was the city I live in founded - I don't even know the answer to that one!).  Any additional proof that can be brought will be helpful, if you two communicate using any cell phone messaging service, and cell phones are allowed in the embassy, be prepared with those, and maybe do some practice questions together on topics you might not have covered ("favorites" come to mind like favorite country to visit, favorite restaurant, etc.).  Again, an "I don't know" is better than a wrong answer but, with some things there is no way a CO is going to know the right answer (your favorite restaurant) and I think they might ask these questions to see how you respond/what you come up with, not for accuracy.

When you get ready for AOS, be prepared to be asked about your age difference as well.  When we had our AOS interview it was the last question the interviewer asked us "I noticed that there is an age difference between the two of you, how does that work out in your relationship and with your families?" was the one that our interviewer used.  The key is all about remaining calm, speaking your truth, and showing your love.

K1 Condensed Timeline:

02/27/17 - I-129F sent; 03/10/17 - NOA1 hard copy received; 06/15/17 - NOA2 hard copy received; 07/16/17 - NVC processing completed; 08/24/17 - Interview (Approved); 09/04/17 - Visa in Hand; 10/26/17 - POE; 12/20/17 - Marriage

AOS Condensed Timeline:

02/06/18 - I-485 sent; 02/20/18 - NOA1 hard copy received; 03/09/18 - Biometrics Completed; 04/21/18 - Interview Appointment Letter Received; 05/14/18 - Interview; 06/08/18 - Approved/Card in Production; 06/16/18 - GC Received

RoC Condensed Timeline:

3/10/20 - I-751 sent; 3/20/20 - NOA received - LIN; 3/10/21 - Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Reused; 4/05/21 - New Card is Being Produced

N400

03/25/21 - Application filed online; 01/15/22 - Interview Scheduled Notification;  02/22/22 - Interview; 02/22/22 - Interview Passed and Same Day Oath Ceremony.  DONE!!!

How much time have you spent together in person?  I would guess the key to doing well is to demonstrate that you know each other very well, that the relationship is genuine.  How long was your pre-filing courtship?  Do you have relationships with each other's family members?

Are there local attitudes about age gap relationships to be aware of?  

Must add that I think it is very strange not only that they sent a copy of the petition, but that it had annotations!  I have never heard of that happening.  Maybe it is a Bogota thing?  My guess is it was done in error.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Sounds like it will be interesting interview indedd. Definitely a first to hear of such a comment written on the petition... but is "abnormal", shall I say, in Columbian relationships I guess so that's why. We are only 4 years difference so not even a gap, and as for the older male/younger woman (especially when it comes to the Philippines) it is just very very common.

Edited by Ben&Zian

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

7 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

My guess is it was done in error.

My thought too ... I think they sent you the embassy copy 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Finland
Timeline

I have to wonder if some of those questions that were asked in London were simply questions to verify that the interview had not been rehearsed with extreme details - ie. far more than would be in a normal relationship, but rather as the basis of a scam of sorts.  It almost sounds like the kind of information that somebody in "deep cover" would memorize...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
1 minute ago, AnneA said:

My thought too ... I think they sent you the embassy copy 

I hope that doesnt become an issue

February 2, 2018    First meeting 🤝

May 15, 2018          Knew it was love💖

July, 10, 2018         Proposed 💍

July 10, 2018          He said "YES" 😍

July 27, 2018          Filed I-129F 📜

August 3, 2018       1st NOA received ⚖️

January 30, 2019   2nd NOA  received  ⚖️

March 4, 2019        NVC received 📧

May 3, 2019            Interview completed (No decision yet May 5, 2019) 🤞

May 8, 2019            Visa Issued ! 🎉

June 4, 2019           POE San Francisco! 🛬

July 17, 2019          Married!  👨‍❤️‍👨

San Francisco City Hall 🏛️

October 23,2019     Filed I-485, I-765, I-131⚖️✈️⚒️

February,11.2020    EAD/AP approved, card received ✈️⚒️

February 26,2021    AOS interview👨‍✈️ 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

April 7, 2021            AOS case status changed to : "Card ordered"  📬 📧

April 15, 2021          Green Card delivered  🟩 ✔️:dancing:

♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

991   days from I-129F filing until Green card in hand    NO ATTORNEYS USED  :secret:

Timeline

Definitely need to update us here with what questions are asked because it sounds like it will be in depth. They possibly suspect potential fraud in the case most likely, hence "detailed interview" requested. 

02/03/2017 - Married 

Timeline
51 minutes ago, bdglen said:

Indeed that is consolation. Did you have a detailed interview? Why were you denied on your first interview? was it related to age or the interview?

I would say while the age gap was an area of interest,  it was more about interview anxiety causing the brain receptors to misfire and the tongue to be twisted.  Some of the questions were in colloquial English that she simply misunderstood 

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

We have an age gap of 17 years (unusual for Europe but not unheard of) and other red flags. So we frontloaded heavily, my fiance was at the Embassy with me and my son, I expected my interview to be pretty difficult but it wasn't. To be more prepared we went through like 150 interview questions I happened to find online. However, it was more of a small talk than real hard questioning. Fiance was questioned too, we were together at the kiosk. If you are in doubt, double check and discuss everything and definitely go there and be with your fiancee.

By the way, I know how many employees are there in the company my fiance works for. He's mentioned it like 3 times during our relationship. That is, if your relationship is bona fide, you will know a whole lot about each other. You'll be surprised yourself

Edited by HP+IC

perhaps the innuendo is a Stokes interview, I had that at my wife and my's AOS interview, we have a 27 year gap, but not that unusual for the Philippines 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Randyandyuni said:

perhaps the innuendo is a Stokes interview, I had that at my wife and my's AOS interview, we have a 27 year gap, but not that unusual for the Philippines 

Exactly. Even on here been like three gay couples, two were Filipinos and one Thai or something, and some of them had 30-35 year age gaps... but tends to be fairly common among Asians and foreign partners so.

02/03/2017 - Married 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Randyandyuni said:

"Stokes Interview"?

What is that?

February 2, 2018    First meeting 🤝

May 15, 2018          Knew it was love💖

July, 10, 2018         Proposed 💍

July 10, 2018          He said "YES" 😍

July 27, 2018          Filed I-129F 📜

August 3, 2018       1st NOA received ⚖️

January 30, 2019   2nd NOA  received  ⚖️

March 4, 2019        NVC received 📧

May 3, 2019            Interview completed (No decision yet May 5, 2019) 🤞

May 8, 2019            Visa Issued ! 🎉

June 4, 2019           POE San Francisco! 🛬

July 17, 2019          Married!  👨‍❤️‍👨

San Francisco City Hall 🏛️

October 23,2019     Filed I-485, I-765, I-131⚖️✈️⚒️

February,11.2020    EAD/AP approved, card received ✈️⚒️

February 26,2021    AOS interview👨‍✈️ 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

April 7, 2021            AOS case status changed to : "Card ordered"  📬 📧

April 15, 2021          Green Card delivered  🟩 ✔️:dancing:

♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

991   days from I-129F filing until Green card in hand    NO ATTORNEYS USED  :secret:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Colombian couple here with 18 years age difference. My wife did not have a rigorous interview - just standard questions - and I wasn't there with her. She also didn't receive a copy of her application (i-130) annotated or not annotated along with packet 4, so I think that's pretty strange. I communicated with lots of fellow Colombian applicants here on VJ and never heard one of them receiving a copy of the application in return. I wonder if a consulate employee made a mistake in sending you that and by sending it with notes it sort of gives you an advantage heading into the interview - which is cool. Good luck!

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 minute ago, bdglen said:

"Stokes Interview"?

What is that?

"The Stokes interview is a secondary interview conducted on a couple who are trying to obtain an immigration green card in the United States on the basis of their marriage. It occurs when the immigration officer conducting the adjustment of status interview suspects that a couple's marital status is fraudulent."

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Search "Stokes" here on VJ for lots of different threads. Basically they call the two of you to come in, or they do a home visit, where they interview one of you and then the other, separately, and compare your answers.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.