Ketoneiv

Marred in two countries with the same person.

96 posts in this topic

(Asking for somebody else)

My ex husband and i got married in our home country in 2003. Then before we start the paperwork to bring him to USA somebody told me instead to apply for a spousal visa i should apply for a fiance visa because it was faster,and i did so. The visa was approve, and in 2006 we married in Florida.We got divorce last year after 15 years of marriage. The thing is we got divorce only in our home country where we are living now. My question is,does our divorce is valid in the U.S aswell? or do we need to divorce in Florida too? I have no way to go back to U.S at this moment and im going to married here in my country with my actual boyfriend i want to move back to USA. How do i find out if im not committing any crime? It that counts as bigamy since my ex husband and i where married already in my country when we remarried in Florida?

Marrying in your home country counts as marriage and therefore I believe you should have applied for a CR1 from the start. Because of this, it's possible you'll run into more problems than just the divorce paperwork.  Hopefully someone more experienced than me can comment in. Best of luck.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Ketoneiv said:

(Asking for somebody else)

My ex husband and i got married in our home country in 2003. Then before we start the paperwork to bring him to USA somebody told me instead to apply for a spousal visa i should apply for a fiance visa because it was faster,and i did so. The visa was approve, and in 2006 we married in Florida.We got divorce last year after 15 years of marriage. The thing is we got divorce only in our home country where we are living now. My question is,does our divorce is valid in the U.S aswell? or do we need to divorce in Florida too? I have no way to go back to U.S at this moment and im going to married here in my country with my actual boyfriend i want to move back to USA. How do i find out if im not committing any crime? It that counts as bigamy since my ex husband and i where married already in my country when we remarried in Florida?

Long as you got the final divorce decree that's all you need matters not where you got it. You divorce wherever you are living or a resident usually. So if you were in your country and filed for divorce that's acceptable. Same as a marriage certificate. If it is legit they it's accepted.

So just present the divorce decree with petition.

People get married all the time in two places in their spouses country and when they get to US. However what you did over 15 years ago was fraud But that's all water under the bridge and another matter.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Whoever got married and hid that marriage to get to the US faster committed visa fraud. 

Legal marriage and/or divorce recognized all over the world, provided valid paperwork in english exists. 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

10 minutes ago, Ketoneiv said:

somebody told me instead to apply for a spousal visa i should apply for a fiance visa because it was faster,and i did so. The visa was approve,

That sounds like fraud and/or willful misrepresentation of material facts. Essentially, your K1 was approved based on false pretenses that you provided. 

Ok, so what happened after all that. You came to Florida, got married again and then what happened immigration wise? Did you get your green card, did you become a US citizen? When did you leave the US?

PS: I might add though, unless it wasn't a K1, but a K3 which required a marriage, then you did not do anything wrong. K3 was still popular around that time frame, I think

Edited by USS_Voyager

2 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

That sounds like fraud and/or willful misrepresentation of material facts. Essentially, your K1 was approved based on false pretenses that you provided. 

Ok, so what happened after all that. You came to Florida, got married again and then what happened immigration wise? Did you get your green card, did you become a US citizen? When did you leave the US?

Oh yes,i forgot that part. I'm a US citizen for almost 20 years now.We separate in 2011 but never adjust his status for other reasons,as a result of that he left US on a Voluntary departure.

Some more thought, I can see an issue if you divorce decree references the first marriage and not the second. When USCIS checks your file they will know about the second marriage record.

As for the misrepresentation, you may receive a lifetime ban.   You lied at the K1 interview and when you AOS'ed.

Just saw you were an USC.  Still misrepresentation.  Your citizenship is at risk

Edited by Paul & Mary
updared

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

5 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

Some more thought, I can see an issue if you divorce decree references the first marriage and not the second. When USCIS checks your file they will know about the second marriage record.

As for the misrepresentation, you may receive a lifetime ban.   You lied at the K1 interview and when you AOS'ed.

I am a IS citicen. I know this is a stupid question but can we divorce in Florida? 

Edited by Ketoneiv

You know that the citizenship can be taken away right? Especially if anyone discovers that you committed fraud which essentially makes your green card invalid and then your citizenship invalid. 

Good luck with that. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

15 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

PS: I might add though, unless it wasn't a K1, but a K3 which required a marriage, then you did not do anything wrong. K3 was still popular around that time frame, I think

It was a K-1 😭

4 minutes ago, Ketoneiv said:

It was a K-1 😭

Then it was misrepresentation in the first place. 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.