cspence10

Marrying Fiance while K1 visa is processing

45 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
8 minutes ago, stacyt said:

So when you fill out DS 160 for the K-1 interview, you will be answering the questions again, such as your marital status, have you been married before etc. If get married in august and say “no”, you’re committing a fraud. If you say “yes”, automatically denied. It’s this simple 

Yeah, I understand that now. As previously stated, I at no point intended to lie to anyone about anything. Nor would I intentionally try to commit fraud. When I was thinking about it, I was not thinking about having to answer that question again. That's why I asked for opinions. Thanks for your answer. I just was thinking we would get married in Mexico (continue to wait for the k1 visa since we are doing that anyway) and then when it was approved get married here, no harm done. Obviously I am not going to go through with that, despite what some strongly opinionated people may think lol

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
23 minutes ago, stacyt said:

So when you fill out DS 160 for the K-1 interview, you will be answering the questions again, such as your marital status, have you been married before etc. If get married in august and say “no”, you’re committing a fraud. If you say “yes”, automatically denied. It’s this simple 

☝️THIS RIGHT HERE! @cspence10 so what do you plan on replying? ☝️

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

10685284_10203853223303551_1747007237_n.jpg

Timeline
2 minutes ago, SJordanS said:

☝️THIS RIGHT HERE! @cspence10 so what do you plan on replying? ☝️

If you read any of my responses I think you can clearly see I am not going to follow through with that idea

Timeline
Just now, cspence10 said:

If you read any of my responses I think you can clearly see I am not going to follow through with that idea

Excellent. We are all trying to help you. Even the sarcastic sharp mouthed ones. People who come on this site will need thick skin. But we are cheaper than a Lawyer thats for sure.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Timeline
9 minutes ago, SJordanS said:

Excellent. We are all trying to help you. Even the sarcastic sharp mouthed ones. People who come on this site will need thick skin. But we are cheaper than a Lawyer thats for sure.

P.S. 

I dont fly aeromexico... they lost my bags and almost made me miss my only flight out of mexico 😉

Edited by cspence10

Timeline
Just now, cspence10 said:

P.S. 

I dont fly aeromexico... they lost my bags and almost made me miss my only flight out of mexico 😉

Im sure that wasn't any sort of stereotype or anything =D 

Why?  I wouldn’t say the same if you thought I would take US Air or American Airlines out of my country. 🇺🇸 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

@cspence10 I can tell you that no one here will ever assist in someone else committing fraud, and some of the comments that you found salty are not entirely directed at you.  I know first hand a lot of people don’t understand the intricacies of things, and that’s why it’s okay to ask, like you did, and accept the answers, which you seem to be doing.  You understand your idea isn’t possible, so now you move forward and decide what is best for what you and your fiancé want.  That’s what’s important to take from this.

Whichever way you choose, you will come to understand where some of these responses come from.  The reason for the high levels of scrutiny and slow process times is because other people didn’t ask, and carried on with something that was illegal, which, in turn, makes the process tougher for all of us. 

No one wants to be apart from their significant other, and everyone wants their wedding on their terms, but concessions need to be made.

A year from now you’ll be on here giving the same salty answers to someone who doesn’t quite know the full extent of what they’re in for :)  

Best of luck for whichever route you take.

Edited by Cryssiekins

Timeline
1 minute ago, Cryssiekins said:

@cspence10 I can tell you that no one here will ever assist in someone else committing fraud, and some of the comments that you found salty are not entirely directed at you.  I know first hand a lot of people don’t understand the intricacies of things, and that’s why it’s okay to ask, like you did, and accept the answers, which you seem to be doing.  You understand your idea isn’t possible, so now you move forward and decide what is best for what you and your fiancé want.  That’s what’s important to take from this.

Whichever way you choose, you will come to understand where some of these responses come from.  The reason for the high levels of scrutiny and slow process times is because other people didn’t ask, and carried on with something that was illegal, which, in turn, makes the process tougher for all of us. 

No one wants to be apart from their significant other, and everyone wants their wedding on their terms, but concessions need to be made.

A year from now you’ll be on here giving the same salty answers to someone who doesn’t quite know the full extent of what they’re in for :)  

Best of luck for whichever route you take.

Im from Binghamton, 

Cool to see a fellow NYer

Yeah I guess ppl are testy. Whatever. A simple "no doesnt work because its fraud" was perfect. I would have even have accepted (with anger but still would have accepted it) "duh thats stupid how could you not know thats fraud" because i honestly wasnt thinking fraud. I was thinking it would just be like "oh wrong visa, go back and fill out the other one". Literally in my head it was just that I was going to add more time by having to switch to the other visa. 

but people attacking my character telling me im trying to cheat the U.S. government, which im a military member soo..., was just like super unnecessary i felt. Especially since like 100 people already answered. I still dont understand why people are still commenting. I obviously got my answer so no need to try to jump in and throw a couple extra kicks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Hijacked post removed. Please start a thread for questions not related to the OP.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

5 hours ago, cspence10 said:

Because the K1 is already submitted. And if I did not absolutely have to, why would I cancel the request and start all over after 5 months?

In my head ->

Married in Mexico 8/14

Visa gets approved whatever day

Married in the U.S.

Submit for AOS

No where was I trying to skip steps, what would even be the point of me trying to get married and hide it? That would literally just take longer. 

My reason for wanting to be married in August has everything to do with religion, and the way dates line up, and nothing to do with the US government or the visa process. 

She has to legally be single to use the K1 Visa to enter the US. If you marry before she enters the US she would be committing Visa fraud by entering the US on the K1 Visa. These ppl arent crazy or assuming. It's just the truth.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
9 hours ago, missileman said:

You can marry in both countries:

K-1:  First marriage must be inside US.

CR-1:  First marriage must be outside US.

I agree with the K1 with the marriage being inside the US, but one can marry inside the US and subsequently file a CR1, so the CR1 wedding does not have to be outside the US.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

:pop:

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
5 hours ago, Bill & Katya said:

I agree with the K1 with the marriage being inside the US, but one can marry inside the US and subsequently file a CR1, so the CR1 wedding does not have to be outside the US.

You're right......I should have said "or marry inside US and continue consular processing".......Thanks for the correction...

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
33 minutes ago, missileman said:

You're right......I should have said "or marry inside US and continue consular processing".......Thanks for the correction...

No worries, I know you are half on vacation.

:devil:

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.