Kristi&Luigi

Affordable Health Insurance while waiting on green card?

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Hello everyone. My husband came to the US with a K1 visa. We are since then married and compiling our AOS packet which we think we will officially file on the 10th of February. 

I wanted to know if there is an affordable health plan for my husband during this long waiting process. My job offers spouse coverage however I don't know if it would work for a non-citizen-yet spouse. 

Please share with me your knowledge on this topic as Google didn't give me straight answers. 

I was a K1 holder too when i came to US, we got married and my husband added me to his insurance right away w/o any problem at all. 

We then changed it when i got my GC and started working, it was cheaper to get separate insurance for myself thru my job versus my husband covering me thru his. 

I would suggest that you contact whatever health-plan you have at your job and ask them since it will differ according to plan/company/a-whole-lot-of-other-stuff. 😊

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Kristi&Luigi said:

Hello everyone. My husband came to the US with a K1 visa. We are since then married and compiling our AOS packet which we think we will officially file on the 10th of February. 

I wanted to know if there is an affordable health plan for my husband during this long waiting process. My job offers spouse coverage however I don't know if it would work for a non-citizen-yet spouse. 

Please share with me your knowledge on this topic as Google didn't give me straight answers. 

Yes your spouse can be covered through your work.  They will add him as a special enrollment.

They will likely ask fo an SSN, if he doesn’t have one yet, you’ll have to talk to your benefit administrator.  

Also, some have stipulations about how many days after a qualifiying event (marriage) pass in which someone must be added.

51 minutes ago, Kristi&Luigi said:

As long as you have a ITIN or a SSN you should be able to add your spouse to your work insurance

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Most all work-sponsored health care plans allow for adding new spouses immediately....especially if the new spouse has a SSN............

Thank you for posting this.  It is a good reminder to all that spousal health care is a MAJOR item for planning before the fiance/spouse arrives.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Also in at least some cases, you can get coverage retroactive to the date of the marriage (I know I can do this for my fiancé with my employer).

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

4 hours ago, Kristi&Luigi said:

Often, the most affordable option will be to add him to the plan offered by your employer. 

When he gets his EAD, and find work, then it might be cheaper for him to switch to his employer's plan. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I added my husband, who lives in Brazil, to my work health and dental insurance a week after our marriage.  All I needed was our marriage certificate, and HR added him, no problem.  They just left his SSN blank.   We submitted proof of his US health insurance when we filed the I-130.  I also added him as my emergency contact, beneficiary on life insurance, company pension plan, investments, etc. with no problems, no need for a SSN or ITIN at all.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
4 hours ago, DaveAndAnastasia said:

Also in at least some cases, you can get coverage retroactive to the date of the marriage (I know I can do this for my fiancé with my employer).

yes coverage is retroactive and back payments from the day you got married. i had to pay for this also 

8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I added my wife soon after our marriage thru my employer. We has 30 days after marriage to add her and all we needed was her A number since she didn't have a SSN yet.

All companies have different policies. Most though have a 30 day window after a "life changing" event, which marriage is considered. 

Edited by ch3john

I was added to my husbands health insurance without an SSN, was no issue atall.

You should contact your insurance company & inform them you want to add your Spouse (my Husbands health insurance was changed to family plan when he added me)

They cant deny you as getting married is classed as a life event & it overrides the yearly enrollment for joining the health insurance 

K1 Fiance Visa Journey 💍 - From sending I-129F to Visa in hand = 295 days📅

Spoiler

10th-Oct-2017 I-129F sent to Dallas Lockbox

13th-Oct-2017 - I-129F received 

17th-Oct-2017 - NOA1 

19th-Apr-2018 - NOA2 :dance:
8th-May-2018 - NVC received our case

14-May-2018 NVC case # assigned
29-June-2018 - Medical

20-July-2018 - Interview - APPROVED! :dancing:

01-Aug-2018 Visa in hand 🎉
13-Oct-2018 - POE:dancing:
17-Nov-2018- Married:wub:

AOS, EAD, AP Journey :star: - From sending I-485 to 2 year conditional Green card in hand = 152 days📅

Spoiler

6th-Dec-2018 - I-485, I-765, I-131 packet sent to Chicago Lockbox
11th-Dec-2018 - I-485, I-765, I-131 packet received in Chicago
17th-Dec-2018 - Received txt notifications
18-Dec-2018 - Check cashed
17-Dec-2018 - NOA1 on USCIS online case status
24-Dec-2018 - x3 NOA1 letter's received in the mail:thumbs:
31-Dec-2018 - Biometrics appointment letter received in the mail
31-Dec-2018 - USCIS online case status for just AOS changed to 'Request for Initial evidence mailed' :(
07-Jan-2019 - Biometrics appointment👍
07-Jan-2019 - Request for Initial evidence letter received - request is for complete Federal tax return for most recent tax year (we did send with original packet...:angry:)

10-Jan-2019 - Sent back initial evidence request documents by mail:clock:
15-Jan-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to 'Response to USCIS' Request for Evidence was received':thumbs:
20-Mar-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to "Case is Ready to be scheduled an Interview" 

26-Mar-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to "Interview was Scheduled"

30-Mar-2019 - Letter with interview date received in the mail!!!!!!! :D

30-Apr-2019 - AOS Interview!  :star: - APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
30-Apr-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to "New Card is being produced" 
03-May-2019 - AOS (I-485) Approval notice letter received in the mail
03-May-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to "Card was mailed to Me"

07-May-2019 - 2 year conditional Green card in hand! :dance:

Removal of Conditions Journey  - From sending I-751 to 10 year Green card in hand = 

16th-Feb-2021 - I-751 packet sent to Phoenix, AZ lockbox

22nd-Feb-2021 - I-751 packet received in Phoenix, AZ lockbox

10 minutes ago, Meisha&Jake said:

They cant deny you as getting married is classed as a life event & it overrides the yearly enrollment for joining the health insurance 

I think the difficulty might be that they got married more than 30 days ago. Timeline says he entered the US back in May, not sure why health insurance is only now becoming a priority.

If you are unable to add your spouse until your company's open enrolment period, you can still find insurance, but you will have to contact a broker, or the companies, yourself. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Thank you everyone for all your replies. They have been very helpful. 

35 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

I think the difficulty might be that they got married more than 30 days ago. Timeline says he entered the US back in May, not sure why health insurance is only now becoming a priority.

If you are unable to add your spouse until your company's open enrolment period, you can still find insurance, but you will have to contact a broker, or the companies, yourself. 

I was just hired by this company about 30 days ago and my medical doesn't kick in until after another month. We got married in June of last year. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.