Hypnos

N-400 Denied (anyone who intends to file the day they become eligible, read this)

177 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, coloradoman said:

I didn't misunderstand. You phrased your comment poorly. And clearly so if you feel the need to put your comment into perspective.

It's not always someone else's fault. Consider that.

LOL. You went off without even knowing the facts. Are you going to change your view now that you do?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
22 minutes ago, Going through said:

Likely @Hypnos will get this decision overturned in the end.  Unfortunately he's faced with this hassle, though.

I agree. The thing that bothers me though is the demeaning way of him talking about USCIS. I get it, they're not pleasant to deal with, they make mistakes, take an awful lot of time, are not very transparent and every time I had to deal with them, I dreaded it too.

But from someone who actually followed his journey all the way through the end, I can't help but sense some form of entitlement on the OP's end. "Trained chimps". Is that what the OP is going to think of the person that will administer the oath one day and enable him/her to actually pursue his/her career goals? As long as they make you a citizen, fine, but if not, eff them? Becoming a citizen should be a little more than just getting a piece of paper that you need for a passport or to get the job you want. The OP had their share in this situation as well. I don't believe that making as much noise as you can is the way to get you where you want in this situation.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

My wife filed by mail and had her citizenship in less than 6 months from her filing.  My advice, file by mail.

:)

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

My wife filed by mail and had her citizenship in less than 6 months from her filing.  My advice, file by mail.

Was that on par with others at your local office?  The location of the local office is more the determining factor rather than anything else.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

17 minutes ago, coloradoman said:

I agree. The thing that bothers me though is the demeaning way of him talking about USCIS. I get it, they're not pleasant to deal with, they make mistakes, take an awful lot of time, are not very transparent and every time I had to deal with them, I dreaded it too.

But from someone who actually followed his journey all the way through the end, I can't help but sense some form of entitlement on the OP's end. "Trained chimps". Is that what the OP is going to think of the person that will administer the oath one day and enable him/her to actually pursue his/her career goals? As long as they make you a citizen, fine, but if not, eff them? Becoming a citizen should be a little more than just getting a piece of paper that you need for a passport or to get the job you want. The OP had their share in this situation as well. I don't believe that making as much noise as you can is the way to get you where you want in this situation.

He has grounds to be pissed. Hundreds of dollars in fees plus a year's wait time is no small commitment. People should realize that USCIS does not grant citizenship; they merely confirm your eligibility for said citizenship. This is America, land of the Free and home of the Brave. We believe our rights come from a higher place, and we don't pay obeisance to bureaucrats, however powerful.

47 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

My advice, file by mail.

My advice, don't be so #### retentive, wait an extra day.  Your career goals can wait an extra 24 hours. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

And if you are going to book foreign travel, don't use poor internet.

Edited by Eric-Pris

Timeline
1 hour ago, afrocraft said:

He has grounds to be pissed. Hundreds of dollars in fees plus a year's wait time is no small commitment. People should realize that USCIS does not grant citizenship; they merely confirm your eligibility for said citizenship. 

Funny. So you came to this country to make your position known that, just because someone couldn’t wait a couple of hours and potentially lost $725 in application fees, they can just call people names? Funny understanding of “Land of the Free”. 

And in response to your other comment, a naturalization certificate is actually issued by USCIS (it actually reads “...such person is admitted as a citizen of the United States of America”, signed by the director of USCIS). Perhaps it’s a good idea to take a moment to actually read what’s printed on yours (that is if you have one, not sure when looking at your timeline).

So unless you feel that there’s some other authority that can make an immigrant a citizen, I’m sure there’s plenty of people here that would like to know.

Unless you were just being “misunderstood” again. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I really hope for @Hypnos sake that this thread doesn't get end up getting locked...I think many of us here would want to know the outcome of what happens instead of a "this thread is to be locked and not referred to elsewhere"...also a good learning point for others who later on may be in his same situation.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

4 hours ago, coloradoman said:

Mistakes happen. Insulting and degrading USCIS employees to the level of trained chimps just shows a certain level of arrogance on your end.

USCIS is a poorly run federal agency. This has been my opinion for years, and is not based solely on this.

They made a similar mistake in the processing of my green card. In 2012 I filed a concurrent widower I-360 and I-485 in April. At the time, processing times were ~3-4 months at Dallas for family-based I-485 (which a widower petition still counts as, since widow/ers remain immediate relatives of a US citizen). Sure enough, I get my interview at Dallas for June. When I go to that interview, the first thing they tell me is that they do not have jurisdiction over my I-360 and so the interview cannot continue. I tell him that I am very sure he does, but they're adamant, and wind up sending my I-360 off to VSC. It took literally months of negotiating with the CIS Ombudsman and a lawyer experienced in the niche area of widow/er immigration lawyer before USCIS agreed to return my applications to Dallas. But then as a final mistake, instead of sending them back to Dallas, they instead sent them to the Houston field office instead. Cue another 6 weeks of Ombudsman intervention before they eventually sent them to Dallas, where I got my second interview and was approved instantly, as would have been the case nine months previously had they known what they were doing.

How can I be sure they erred when they sent my I-360 and I-485 to VSC? Because last year I filed a FOIA for a copy of my complete alien file, and buried deep in there was a memo from VSC stating plainly that since my I-360 and I-485 were concurrently filed as a family-based application, they should have been adjudicated by the field office and not sent to VSC, exactly as I and the Ombudsman had told them many months before. And this is not to make it all about me, I am very aware of how unimportant I am in all of this, it's just to highlight that this is not my first rodeo when it comes to USCIS errors. And of course, that error itself had the knock on effect of making it nine months later until I could file for naturalisation, which I require for employment since I'm trying to become a cop in Texas.

I have seen so many horror stories posted here about USCIS mistakes, sometimes very basic ones that should have at worst been caught by a supervisor, but were not. The US immigration system need a complete root-and-branch overhaul of all its operations, and has done probably for decades now. But since that would cost $$$ and it only really negatively impacts immigrants, it's obviously not a priority for anyone, and so we continue to kick this can down the road, again, and again, and again.

4 hours ago, coloradoman said:

Did you REALLY have to file that application at 2:30 AM??? The next morning wasn't soon enough? Now it's USCIS' fault that you made a conscious decision to cut it this close?

This thought has not been lost on me. All I can think of over these past few days is how much of a fool I was to not wait 1-2 days after the eligibility date, and that all likelihood I would have my oath letter in my hands already had I done that. That is why I posted this thread, as a cautionary tale to encourage people not to make the same mistake I did. Now that being said, I still filed within the 90 day period and by the letter of the law was unfairly denied, but if I could do it all over again I would obviously not file until a couple of days after.

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
2 hours ago, N-o-l-a said:

Was that on par with others at your local office?  The location of the local office is more the determining factor rather than anything else.

At the time I guess it was, but it was still surprising to us.  I guess after waiting 13 months for the ROC, my wife decided to start the N400 clock, and when the interview came up in April she was happy, but nervous.  I think things have slowed down a bit in Detroit, but that office does seem to be faster than average.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline
1 hour ago, Hypnos said:

USCIS is a poorly run federal agency. This has been my opinion for years, and is not based solely on this.

They made a similar mistake in the processing of my green card. In 2012 I filed a concurrent widower I-360 and I-485 in April. At the time, processing times were ~3-4 months at Dallas for family-based I-485 (which a widower petition still counts as, since widow/ers remain immediate relatives of a US citizen). Sure enough, I get my interview at Dallas for June. When I go to that interview, the first thing they tell me is that they do not have jurisdiction over my I-360 and so the interview cannot continue. I tell him that I am very sure he does, but they're adamant, and wind up sending my I-360 off to VSC. It took literally months of negotiating with the CIS Ombudsman and a lawyer experienced in the niche area of widow/er immigration lawyer before USCIS agreed to return my applications to Dallas. But then as a final mistake, instead of sending them back to Dallas, they instead sent them to the Houston field office instead. Cue another 6 weeks of Ombudsman intervention before they eventually sent them to Dallas, where I got my second interview and was approved instantly, as would have been the case nine months previously had they known what they were doing.

How can I be sure they erred when they sent my I-360 and I-485 to VSC? Because last year I filed a FOIA for a copy of my complete alien file, and buried deep in there was a memo from VSC stating plainly that since my I-360 and I-485 were concurrently filed as a family-based application, they should have been adjudicated by the field office and not sent to VSC, exactly as I and the Ombudsman had told them many months before. And this is not to make it all about me, I am very aware of how unimportant I am in all of this, it's just to highlight that this is not my first rodeo when it comes to USCIS errors. And of course, that error itself had the knock on effect of making it nine months later until I could file for naturalisation, which I require for employment since I'm trying to become a cop in Texas.

I have seen so many horror stories posted here about USCIS mistakes, sometimes very basic ones that should have at worst been caught by a supervisor, but were not. The US immigration system need a complete root-and-branch overhaul of all its operations, and has done probably for decades now. But since that would cost $$$ and it only really negatively impacts immigrants, it's obviously not a priority for anyone, and so we continue to kick this can down the road, again, and again, and again.

This thought has not been lost on me. All I can think of over these past few days is how much of a fool I was to not wait 1-2 days after the eligibility date, and that all likelihood I would have my oath letter in my hands already had I done that. That is why I posted this thread, as a cautionary tale to encourage people not to make the same mistake I did. Now that being said, I still filed within the 90 day period and by the letter of the law was unfairly denied, but if I could do it all over again I would obviously not file until a couple of days after.

I understand your position, and how it must feel to be in a USCIS predicament yet again. And for what it’s worth, it’s always easy for someone on the outside to give great advice after the fact. I just don’t like getting personal with people. I have had such a great experience with USCIS in the context of my N400 that I cannot support name calling of people that are just trying to do their job - some better, some worse. 

Enough with the smart talk. If you need any support filing a service request (that option is not that obvious), PM me and I’ll be glad to help. It worked for me several times to successfully push back Oath Ceremony appointments, and every time I sent one I either received a personalized email or a phone call from my field office. They do read those and are pretty good at responding. At least here in Denver. 

...and if that fails, go get the sledgehammer out. 

27 minutes ago, coloradoman said:

If you need any support filing a service request (that option is not that obvious), PM me and I’ll be glad to help. It worked for me several times to successfully push back Oath Ceremony appointments, and every time I sent one I either received a personalized email or a phone call from my field office. They do read those and are pretty good at responding.

Thank you for your suggestion. I did just find that option in ELIS, and submitted a request giving all of the information and how I believe it to be a mistake. We'll see what comes of it.

I did also receive a call from my congressman's office just, but she just wanted to confirm a few things before sending off the formal request for case assistance to USCIS.

AoS

77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview

Naturalisation

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

I have located another person who filed under identical circumstances. They are a member here on VJ.

Their first day of eligibility was 4/2/18. They filed shortly after midnight on 4/2/18, and their priority date was set as 4/1/18, with the received date as 4/2/18. They had their interview at San Jose in December and were approved and are now a US citizen.

I really hope VJ emails them when I message them here, and that they're still checking that email account. It seems clear that USCIS erred when denying my application.

Edited by Hypnos

AoS

77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview

Naturalisation

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, Hypnos said:

Their first day of eligibility was 4/2/18. They filed shortly after midnight on 4/2/18, and their priority date was set as 4/1/18, with the received date as 4/2/18.

I figure it's mostly some sort of glitch with how their computer system is set up when filing online.  I didn't have the problems as you did, or this other poster, only because I waited a good 10 years after becoming eligible for the N400 before filing....but I filed online, around 7pm in the evening if I remember....and my priority date was set a day behind as well.  If it's some sort of time zone issue, it wouldn't have made sense in my case.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.