Jump to content
angmig

Have green card - DMV won't give license

37 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello,

 

My husband got his AoS approved and we got his conditional green card in the mail since December 11, 2018. We went to go get his driver's license today and he took and passed the tests but they denied him the license because they said he wasn't in the system!? He already has his EAD, his passport is fine, he has his green card, social security number (they won't send is the dang physical card which maybe this is a part of?) And the woman told is Homeland Security says his status is not updated. I was so pissed because they told us that we need to go back to USCIS which for us is 3 hrs away and we have to rent a car and its a big hassle. I don't understand what us going to an infopass is going to accomplish because it seems like something internal on THEIR end needs to be fixed. Is there someone else we can contact? I tried looking into the SAVE thing, but I don't quite understand it.  They won't even tell us what we need to bring to the infopass, we have a giant folder of documents, but I'm just so confused. We are in Florida. 😡🤬

 

Thank you!

Edited by angmig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, angmig said:

Hello,

 

My husband got his AoS approved and we got his conditional green card in the mail since December 11, 2018. We went to go get his driver's license today and he took and passed the tests but they denied him the license because they said he wasn't in the system!? He already has his EAD, his passport is fine, he has his green card, social security number (they won't send is the dang physical card which maybe this is a part of?) And the woman told is Homeland Security says his status is not updated. I was so pissed because they told us that we need to go back to USCIS which for us is 3 hrs away and we have to rent a car and its a big hassle. I don't understand what us going to an infopass is going to accomplish because it seems like something internal on THEIR end needs to be fixed. Is there someone else we can contact? I tried looking into the SAVE thing, but I don't quite understand it.  They won't even tell us what we need to bring to the infopass, we have a giant folder of documents, but I'm just so confused. We are in Florida. 😡🤬

 

Thank you!

Did you call USCIS?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Did you call USCIS?

Yes, they just told us we could make an infopass and they don't look up that kind of info over the phone...I don't know if taking to a tier 2 officer would make any difference. But I just really really want to avoid having to make a pointless trip. We can't call our USCIS office directly either. But to me, if they gave us the green card, that seems like the deal is done! They can find them in the system, so I don't know what they want. Our aos interview was really smooth. :(

Edited by angmig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, angmig said:

Yes, they just told us we could make an infopass and they don't look up that kind of info over the phone...I don't know if taking to a tier 2 officer would make any difference. But I just really really want to avoid having to make a pointless trip. We can't call our USCIS office directly either. But to me, if they gave us the green card, that seems like the deal is done! Our AoS interview was really smooth. :(

You call the national USCIS info line and ask to speak to a tier 2. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mushroomspore said:

Because the person who denied your husband's DL might just be an idiot who happens to work at that particular location. Go to a different location and try your luck with finding a non-idiot.

I told hubby USA DMV is considered a circle of hell and he didn't believe me! We'll try another office, it definitely can't hurt. thank you! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, angmig said:

I told hubby USA DMV is considered a circle of hell and he didn't believe me! We'll try another office, it definitely can't hurt. thank you! 

Yup, I'm from Canada and I never really appreciated our driving centers until I experienced a DMV. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His SAVE database could be wrong.  (If he has his green card he no longer needs his EAD.  He should shred it.)  It's pretty frequent and e-verify isn't running right now so if they tried to use that, they won't ever find him. 

 

 


You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, mushroomspore said:

Yup, I'm from Canada and I never really appreciated our driving centers until I experienced a DMV. 

Question, do you have advice on what should we tell them at the other DMV location though? That they couldn't update him in the system or just ask to get the license? if they use the same system, won't it say the same?They've said it was tied to his social that he passed the test. Thanks

Edited by angmig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, NikLR said:

His SAVE database could be wrong.  (If he has his green card he no longer needs his EAD.  He should shred it.)  It's pretty frequent and e-verify isn't running right now so if they tried to use that, they won't ever find him. 

 

 

Ah, I'm not sure if SAVE is what they used, I just came across it while searching what we could do. The DMV woman kept saying Homeland security said his status is not updated to perm resident so I'm not sure where she was pulling that from exactly. 

Edited by angmig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, angmig said:

Question, do you have advice on what should we tell them at the other DMV location though? That they couldn't update him in the system or just ask to get the license? if they use the same system, won't it say the same?They've said it was tied to his social that he passed the test. Thanks

I have no idea. Sorry. You'll just have to try your luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×