Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'drivers license'.

More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Family & Marriage Based US Visa Immigration Discussion
    • K-1 Fiance(e) Visa Process & Procedures
    • IR-1 / CR-1 Spouse Visa Process & Procedures
    • Direct Consular Filing (DCF) General Discussion
    • Bringing Family Members of US Citizens to America
    • Bringing Family Members of Permanent Residents to America
    • What Visa Do I Need - Family Based Immigration
  • Non-Family Based US Visa Discussion
    • Tourist Visas
    • Work Visas
    • Student & Exchange Visitor Visas
    • Diversity Lottery Visas
    • Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)
  • Consulate & USCIS Service Center Discussion
    • National Visa Center (Dept of State)
    • US Embassy and Consulate Discussion
    • Waivers (I-601 and I-212) and Administrative Processes (221g)
    • USCIS Service Centers
  • US Visa Holder and Permanent Resident Immigration Discussion
    • Adjustment of Status (Green Card) from K1 and K3 Family Based Visas
    • Adjustment of Status from Work, Student, & Tourist Visas
    • Working & Traveling During US Immigration
    • Tax & Finances During US Immigration
    • Removing Conditions on Residency General Discussion
    • US Citizenship General Discussion
    • Effects of Major Family Changes on Immigration Benefits
    • Military Immigration-Related Discussion
    • General Immigration-Related Discussion
  • General Discussion Area
    • Off Topic
    • Games While You Wait
    • Regional Discussion
    • Moving to the US and Your New Life In America
    • Finding Work in America
    • Emigrating Outside the US
    • Current Events and Hot Social Topics
    • Introducing our Members
    • General Polls
    • US Immigration News and Discussion
    • Site-Related Discussion - Updates, Ideas, etc.
  • Moderator and Organizer Forums (Hidden)

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start



miles from

Is online?

Has photo?

Content Count

Between and

Last Visit

Between and



Immigration Status

Place benefits filed at

Local Office


Our Story

Found 13 results

  1. Hello all, I’m not sure if this topic was already opened I couldn’t find it so I started a new one... Just wanted to share something happened today, this information might help for others too.. Previously I was calling my local DMV to ask about a temporary drivers license if I’m able to get it with the pending I130 and I 485 without having any EAD OR GC OR SSN ?? The answer was yes I can and the lady told me what to bring with me I didn’t needed appointment I was able to walk in so this morning I went there she looked over all the paperwork I had with me and she let me do the written test on the computer which was easy and I passed it,also took a photograph of me. When I passed the written test they told me I can go back to do the road test by appointment only tomorrow so I’m very excited I’m going to get a 1 year Florida drivers license if everything goes well tomorrow it’s going to be in my hand🍀👏🙏😊🥰 The lady also told me once I have my green card in my hand I can go back and they give me the eight years old drivers license and I don’t have to do the tests anymore.. The reason I’m sharing this because I heard So many different stories people telling about different locations and states that they were not able to do that until they had the EAD in hand. I’m sure every state and city are different so I’m just sharing my experience. The documents I had to bring with me are the following: - NOA1 I130 - NOA1 I485 - passport - previous passport where i had a stamp that im admitted to the country - marriage license - my husband’s passport ( proof of citizenship) - 2 utility bill on my name to the current address Good luck everyone!!
  2. I just went to the California DMV with my husband to get his driver's license, we had all the necessary documents, or so we thought. The person helping us looked at his Brazilian passport, and said that the stamp endorsing the CR-1 visa was "not an I-551 stamp" according to the very old policy manuals. For a number of years now the visa itself has a statement near the bottom that reads "Upon Endorsement Serves as Temporary I-551 Evidencing Permanent Residency for 1 Year." Meaning that a simple entry stamp at POE with the date and status (CR-1) and Alien number is the endorsement referred to on the visa. I asked for a supervisor, so she went and spoke with her boss. Then came back and looked on her computer some more. In the end she said, "sorry, this stamp in the passport has to specifically say "processed for I-551. I cannot give you a driver's license until you have this or a green card." We drove to the Sacramento Airport to try and get a stamp that would satisfy this but could not speak with a CBP officer. Our only option now is to try for an appointment at an USCIS office and get something that a California DMV might accept. Or return to the same or different DMV and try to explain to them that the entry stamp is all that is needed to endorse the I-551 already stated on the visa. Any suggestions anyone?? This is very frustrating to say the least....
  3. Good time of day or night, everyone! I have yet another driving license question, probably a millionth, but I can't seem to find the information I'm searching for just by googling. I keep hearing there is an option of passing a written test for a learner's permit online in the state of Texas, but all I can find is that you can pass the test after attending the driver's school as a part of their school program. I've searched the DPS site, but all that came up was scheduling an appointment online, with you having to come in person to take the written test. Is it possible to schedule an online written test through DPS without attending the school or am I missing something? ( I am over 25 years old, therefore, as I understand, there is no such requirement as to attend driver's ed, I am currently studying the handbook, as for the practice - my husband is going to teach me to drive).
  4. Hello everyone, I am trying to figure out whether it is possible to receive a drivers license in NJ with a K-1 visa. We have applied for social security card a week ago, so hoping that we get the card soon. I've read on here that in NJ we can't apply for drivers license until we have EAD on hand ? Is that true ? Also, my fiance had a drivers license from Ukraine, so maybe that will help somehow. Has anyone had experience with this in NJ ? Thank you !
  5. Good afternoon, I just wanted to fill you guys in on my experience renewing my MO drivers license today. I filed for EAD/AP/AOS early November and it's still pending. I took my US MO Drivers test in November using my I-94, Passport and K-1 Visa page but my license was only valid for the length of the I-94 document. Of course this expired a little while ago, and I have been unable to drive. So my wife emailed the DMV requesting information as to whether or not we'd be able to renew my license for the time being. There is very little information out there in this. I have included the e-mail below. I walked into the DMV today, and brought the following documents with me: Marriage Certificate Passport AOS Receipt (With stamped biometrics) EAD Receipt (The DMV scanned this document) Utility Bill (Something with my name on it tying me to the address I live) It took her a few tries of various numbers on the EAD receipt but it was approved for renewal of my DL. The process took about 10 minutes once I was at the desk. So those of you wondering about drivers licenses, e-mail the DMV and ask about your state's laws regarding it. Remember: Not all DMV staff are competent. I hope this helps someone out there!
  6. Hey guys! My driver's license is expiring March 1st and I am trying to figure out a way to renew it. On the DMV website it says that I need verification of legal status but I still don't have my EAD card and I don't even have an approval notice yet. The only thing I have is the I-797C receipt. But they don't mention anything about them accepting that as proof. What can I do? Anyone had the same issue before? I live in California. Thanks for your help!
  7. Hello, My husband got his AoS approved and we got his conditional green card in the mail since December 11, 2018. We went to go get his driver's license today and he took and passed the tests but they denied him the license because they said he wasn't in the system!? He already has his EAD, his passport is fine, he has his green card, social security number (they won't send is the dang physical card which maybe this is a part of?) And the woman told is Homeland Security says his status is not updated. I was so pissed because they told us that we need to go back to USCIS which for us is 3 hrs away and we have to rent a car and its a big hassle. I don't understand what us going to an infopass is going to accomplish because it seems like something internal on THEIR end needs to be fixed. Is there someone else we can contact? I tried looking into the SAVE thing, but I don't quite understand it. They won't even tell us what we need to bring to the infopass, we have a giant folder of documents, but I'm just so confused. We are in Florida. 😡🤬 Thank you!
  8. My fiancee and I will be getting married in California, and she'd like to change both her first (she's choosing an English name) and last name (taking my last name). Additionally, she'd like to apply for an EAD while applying for AOS, and apply for a Driver's License as soon as possible, which requires EAD approval from what I've read. It appears that a California Marriage License only allows for middle/last name changes, and a first name change will require a separate name change petition when all is said and done (?). So I was hoping to confirm the following steps that need to be taken. Note: She already has a SSN from when she was a student. Are the following steps correct? Is there a quicker or more optimal way to go about these steps? 1) Get married and she takes my last name. Marriage license shows her original first name + my last name. 2) File for AOS + EAD using her first name + my last name. 3) Go to Social Security Office and show marriage license as proof to have her last name updated. 4) As an aside, assuming her Social Security information is updated to have my last name, can I now add her as an authorized user using her SSN, first name + my last name, her passport for government issued ID, and marriage certificate as proof of her name change? 5) Receive EAD 6) Pass drivers exams and apply for Driver's License using her first name + my last name, showing EAD, passport, and marriage license as identification 7) Receive green card And now, to change her first name: 1) Apply for name change petition 2) Once approved, contact Social Security Office and change name again 3) Follow the steps here to get an updated Driver's License 4) Update banks, credit cards, etc. with new name 5) Finally finished? Also, at this point is it going to be difficult for her to travel as her passport will have a different First and Last names? (her old first name will be her new middle name, FWIW). Any feedback would be appreciated, this is all a little confusing.
  9. Hello everyone, my adjustment of status is already on process, and i already have my social security number. when is the best time to take knowledge test for driving, i mean to get a driver's permit? thank you.
  10. My Fiance has a class 5 GDL license and we were wondering if he needs to get his Class 5 license for it to be able to be transferred to the states or if his class 5 GDL license is enough?
  11. We are in Georgia and my husband was issued a driver's license that expired on the one year anniversary of his NOA1 when he received his extension letter after filing his application for lifting conditions (not his green card expiration). So his GA DL expires 7/10/18 but his green card is extended until 9/29/18. Evidently that's how they do it here. Just wanted GA filers to know "Now, any applicant whose driver’s license will expire within 30 days or has already expired can provide the Georgia Department of Driver Services an original I-797, Receipt Notice, evidencing his or her extension of status request is pending with USCIS to obtain a temporary license valid for 120 days from the date of expiration of the applicant’s current license". So he had to pay $50 and now has a paper GA DL that is valid and expires Oct 29.... not sure how they did that math but it should be enough time to get the 10 year Green Card....applying N-400 tomorrow!
  12. I'm K-1 visa holder waiting for adjustment of status. My I-94 form expired 7 months ago. However, I have NOA1 from USCIS (filed for the new last name I got through marriage) and SSN (for my maiden name). I have been waiting for EAD for 5 months now and still have not gotten it, not mentioning the GC that I might wait up to 2 years to be issued. I know that DMV will not allow me to take 'behind the wheel test' but I wonder if they allow me to take the written driver's test on the base of NOA1, SSN, birth certificate, marriage certificate, proofs of residency. I know that different states have different rules. I wonder if it is possible in California. I have never driven a car, so I don't have any foreign driver's license. Maybe someone has a similar experience... thank you!
  13. Hi everyone! I really need my Massachusetts ID and in the requirements they include document for proof of legal stay quote "you need to provide valid, verifiable immigration documents as well as proof that you've been granted a legal stay in the U.S. for at least 12 months. Your license or ID will expire when your legal stay is over". Could I use an EAD to apply for it? or maybe my NOA? Again, this is for the state of Massachusetts
  • Create New...