Thunderbolt

Proper steps after arriving in US on K1

52 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hello,

I would like to ask what are the proper steps to follow after my fiance arrives in US next month?

1. Apply for SSN

2. Get married

3. Change name on SSN

4. Adjustment of Status

Is that the proper assumption on my part?

Also, I will buy for her ticket this weekend. I am wondering if I have to buy one way or round trip? I know that a lot of airlines won't let the person board the flight on a one way ticket if they don't have permanent residency in the destination country. What should I do about the ticket?

Thank you All! :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, Thunderbolt said:

Hello,

I would like to ask what are the proper steps to follow after my fiance arrives in US next month?

1. Apply for SSN

2. Get married

3. Change name on SSN

4. Adjustment of Status

Also, I will buy for her ticket this weekend. I am wondering if I have to buy one way or round trip? I know that a lot of airlines won't let the person board the flight on a one way ticket if they don't have permanent residency in the destination country. What should I do about the ticket?

Do #3 after you receive ead

one way tickets are ok for intending immigrants as well

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

11 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

Hello,

1. Apply for SSN

2. Get married

3. Change name on SSN

4. Adjustment of Status

You can TRY to do 3. but most likely you won't be able to until you receive the EAD or GC (whichever comes first). SSA will not issue a SScard in a different name than what is listed with DHS. And DHS wont update your married name until long after you apply for AOS.

It's best to fill out the SSN request on the I765 regardless of whether you've tried to apply for the name update in person. You will most likely be waiting for the EAD to come before you will get the updated SSN anyways.

17 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

Hello,

1. Apply for SSN

2. Get married

3. Change name on SSN

4. Adjustment of Status

+1 You have it downpat and should be good to go. 

A one way ticket is fine. Sometimes roundtrips are cheaper but if I were you I would look around and see what is the cheapest with the carrier you like. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
21 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

Hello,

1. Apply for SSN

2. Get married

3. Change name on SSN

4. Adjustment of Status

Start at step 14

https://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flow

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

#1 and #2 are for sure. You can do #3 after filling AOS

And I had my name changed on SSN card before I get EAD (after receiving NOA1 of AOS) . I am in VA. A friend of mine in MN did it too.  I guess it depends on state?  @K1visaHopeful

Edited by Lin2018

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

we purchased 2 way ticket and then cancelled his return flight once we got married because we didn't want his name to show up on any airline manifest. I heard one person got denied because the airline probably sold the seat to a standby passenger and forgot to update their passenger manifest??? it's stupid how these little things can screw up your process.

AOS/EAD/AP ->: 11/29/18 - NOA1: 12/04/18

Biometric NOA:  12/14/18  Biometric Appt: 12/26/18

Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview: 1/16/19

EAD/AP approval: 3/18/19

AOS Interview Appt: 6/4/19

AOS Interview: 7/10/19

AOS Approved: 7/23/19

GREEN CARD IN HAND: 7/26/19

"It's true, we don't have it as easy as ordinary couples. But this is no ordinary love"

Timeline

Thank you all for the answers. The more I'm reading about SSN the more confused I am. On the SSA website it says:

" In general, only noncitizens who have permission to work from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) can apply for a Social Security number. "

What documents needs to be presented for SSN? Before she can get her state ID she needs SSN.

Thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
20 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

Thank you all for the answers. The more I'm reading about SSN the more confused I am. On the SSA website it says:

" In general, only noncitizens who have permission to work from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) can apply for a Social Security number. "

What documents needs to be presented for SSN? Before she can get her state ID she needs SSN.

Thank you

Read this for K-1: https://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn

"For K1 Visa Holders ::

As a K-1 Visa Holder you are eligible to receive a SSN upon producing a valid I-94 (unexpired). Do
not wait until you only have a few weeks left until your I-94 expires to file for a SSN. Many SSA 
offices will not allow you to file for a SSN if your I-94 is about to expire (generally 14 days prior
to the expiration on your I-94). On the other hand, you should also not file for a SSN too soon either.
You should wait 2 weeks after you arrived in the US before applying for a SSN. If you go too soon your
record of arrival will not be in the SAVE-ASVI system yet, and it will require manual verification from the
USCIS. As this will add weeks to the period it takes to process the SSN, it is advisable to attempt to wait the two weeks to be safe. If you have waited the 2 weeks and they tell you they can not verify you arrival record via the SAVE database, you may allow them to to process it (but remember the potential delay for manual verifications). You can ask if they will check the computer again for you in a few days or return personally to have them look again -- thus eliminating the manual verification. The manual verification will require the SSA office to file a G-845 with the USCIS.

To apply for a SSN you will need to go to your local SSA office and bring the documents below. These 
documents are proof of your eligibility to file for a SSN:

The SS-5 form you downloaded and filled out (they have some at the office if you forget).
your Passport (with the K-1 Visa in it)
your valid I-94: Electronic I-94 Copy; or (for older entries) an original (and bring a front/backside copy) of a valid paper I-94
another form of valid ID (as defined in the SS-5 instructions)
You should also bring the document RM 10211.530 that you printed out

Make sure to bring all the documents above because some offices have staff that are not aware 
that a K-1 Visa Holder is eligible to file for a SSN. A friendly reminder is a nice thing to have -- if not 
you could be turned away incorrectly.

Once you have successfully applied for your SSN, the SSN card will come in the mail in about 2 weeks. You can check on the status of the SSN application and/or often get the SSN in advance by returning in person (try calling) to the SSA office. If you need your SSN before it arrives in the mail you may ask them for an SSA-7028, Notice to Third Party of Social Security Number Assignments, to be sent to your employer or other interested third party once a SSN has been assigned. Your card, when you receive it, will be marked with the words "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH INS AUTHORIZATION" indicating to an employer that you must also have an unexpired EAD to be eligible to work.

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

One more thing that keeps bothering me. Health insurance before we get married.

I won't be able to add her to my health insurance via my job until she is my spouse. That's going to take about 2 months.

I've asked my fiance to check local travel agencies in Thailand and purchase traveler insurance for 30+ days. Both agencies need to have return date to Thailand, otherwise they wont sell the insurance to her.

Is there any other way to get health insurance for her? What did you guys do when your fiance arrived in US?

Thanks

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

I was able to add him after he got a SSN and marriage certificate, also they asked for proof of residency for us.  So all 3 were needed for my company to add him to my insurance. so he was not insured for almost 2 months, we are still waiting for the cards in the mail.

I'm sure if you google temporary health insurance, lots of options.

AOS/EAD/AP ->: 11/29/18 - NOA1: 12/04/18

Biometric NOA:  12/14/18  Biometric Appt: 12/26/18

Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview: 1/16/19

EAD/AP approval: 3/18/19

AOS Interview Appt: 6/4/19

AOS Interview: 7/10/19

AOS Approved: 7/23/19

GREEN CARD IN HAND: 7/26/19

"It's true, we don't have it as easy as ordinary couples. But this is no ordinary love"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Thunderbolt said:

One more thing that keeps bothering me. Health insurance before we get married.

I won't be able to add her to my health insurance via my job until she is my spouse. That's going to take about 2 months.

With my employer, adding your spouse to your insurance is retroactive to the date of the wedding, though I won't be able to add her until I've got a copy of the marriage certificate. This isn't very unusual, so check with your HR department on this.

And unless there's a really good reason not to, you should be able to legally marry within a few days of POE (I've heard of people getting off the plane and heading right to a courthouse/county clerk's office/Vegas drive-through chapel, though I wouldn't do that ...), and have a ceremony with friends and family later. That's what we're planning on doing; though that will leave a week or two where she's uninsured (and two or three weeks where she will be covered for, but it might be a bit messy got get reimbursed for), most short-term health insurance options aren't that great.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Hi All,

One more question:

On form SS-5 for SSN point number 5:

Citizenship:

- We have 3 options to select:

Legal Alien Allowed to Work

Legal Alien NOT Allowed to Work

Other

I'm assuming we have to select number 2? Legal Alien NOT Allowed to Work? But if we do that, they require explanation why she needs SSN, and the explanation needs to be from the agency requiring the number.
Does it mean that I have to hit my bank for a letter stating that she needs SSN in order to open account?

Thank you,

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
18 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

Hi All,

One more question:

Citizenship:

Other

I'm assuming we have to select number 2? Legal Alien NOT Allowed to Work? But if we do that, they require explanation why she needs SSN, and the explanation needs to be from the agency requiring the number.
Does it mean that I have to hit my bank for a letter stating that she needs SSN in order to open account?

Thank you,

I left that one empty and told the SSO that I wasn't sure what to put. He filled it out for me. No issues, got my SSN in my maiden name and right after marriage in my married name, no EAD required.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
37 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

Hi All,

One more question:

Citizenship:

Other

Thank you,

K1 visa holders are Legal Aliens Allowed to Work. You just have to have work authorization first. That is why K1s are allowed to get SSNs before adjusting status.

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.