Thunderbolt

Proper steps after arriving in US on K1

52 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
9 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Nope    if she arrives on a k1 then it is i485/i131/i765/i864.  You got some learning to do 

Thank you. I'm reading but easily get confused with all the forms. I thought that after finishing with I-129 it will be smooth sailing. Apparently it's more of the same as before.

I've started to study and learn more about the AoS process today, hence all these questions. I really appreciate all the help I'm getting here from you on VJ. 

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Have couple more questions.

I'm ready to file I-485 I -765 and I-864 (don't need I-131)

In the form I-485 there is a field with A- number. In the example form I see that there is some number, what do we put in it?

Also, do we need to send form G-325A, Biographic Information: ?

Do I send all forms at the same time to Chicago Lockbox? 485, 765 and 864?

Thank you

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

In the form I-485 there is a field with A- number. In the example form I see that there is some number, what do we put in it?

Thank you

I-131 is a freebie.  I would reconsider

A- number is on NOA2

G-325A, No

All forms assembled separately, include in same envelope, mailed to the same address

YMMV

12 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

Thank you

You can use this to double check you've filled it in correctly.  https://www.visajourney.com/content/examples/

Nothing worse than being delayed due to a small misstep. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, UserNameNA said:

You can use this to double check you've filled it in correctly.  https://www.visajourney.com/content/examples/

Nothing worse than being delayed due to a small misstep. 

That's what I'm doing. Double checking with the examples. Didn't know where to find A- number.

Thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

As for her plane ticket. One-way should be fine. However, I purchased a one-way for her to get to the USA, and fully refundable one-way from the USA back to Myanmar, and had it ready at the airline check-in counter in case they asked.  We weren't asked (I flew to Myanmar to bring her home).

Edited by Mike E

Timeline

Plane tickets: I flew to Bangkok, and traveled back to USA with my (now) wife (K-1) and step-daughter (K-2). Had one-way tickets for them. Checking in for the first flight at Bangkok, there was a slight delay as the airline agent started asking colleagues something. I asked if there was a problem? She said that the K-2 visa for the step-daughter was on a one-way ticket and they had to check about that. It was obvious they were familiar with a K-1 and knew it didn't require a return ticket, but didn't know that a K-2 is a son or daughter of a K-1, and gets treated the same way. I explained that K-2s piggyback onto the K-1 visa. Simple problem solved.

Social Security: Seem to be different answers here from different offices. I went with my wife and step-daughter to the local SSA office to apply, about 8 days after their entry into the USA. They told us we had to wait two weeks for them to look up the I-94 status, and then my wife (the K-1) could get the SSN, but the step-daughter (age 20) would have to wait until getting the employment authorization back (which takes about 4-5 months after filing the I-485/I-131/I-765 forms for AOS, EAD, and PA.) Not sure why the distinction between the K-1 and K-2, but that's what they said.

I'm not in great need for the SSN for either of them at this time; one of the forms mentioned above asked for SSN's and had a check box if they didn't have SSN's; they could be automatically issued if we chose. Waiting a few more months shouldn't be a problem for the step-daughter. For my wife however, it would probably be more convenient to have an SSN now, so that we can do a joint bank account, start the process of getting her a local driver license, and getting health insurance on the ACA marketplace. Most of those tasks can probably be done without an SSN, but you may have to jump through some hoops to do so.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
25 minutes ago, Hornswoggled said:

Plane tickets: I flew to Bangkok, and traveled back to USA with my (now) wife (K-1) and step-daughter (K-2). Had one-way tickets for them. Checking in for the first flight at Bangkok, there was a slight delay as the airline agent started asking colleagues something. I asked if there was a problem? She said that the K-2 visa for the step-daughter was on a one-way ticket and they had to check about that. It was obvious they were familiar with a K-1 and knew it didn't require a return ticket, but didn't know that a K-2 is a son or daughter of a K-1, and gets treated the same way. I explained that K-2s piggyback onto the K-1 visa. Simple problem solved.

Social Security: Seem to be different answers here from different offices. I went with my wife and step-daughter to the local SSA office to apply, about 8 days after their entry into the USA. They told us we had to wait two weeks for them to look up the I-94 status, and then my wife (the K-1) could get the SSN, but the step-daughter (age 20) would have to wait until getting the employment authorization back (which takes about 4-5 months after filing the I-485/I-131/I-765 forms for AOS, EAD, and PA.) Not sure why the distinction between the K-1 and K-2, but that's what they said.

I'm not in great need for the SSN for either of them at this time; one of the forms mentioned above asked for SSN's and had a check box if they didn't have SSN's; they could be automatically issued if we chose. Waiting a few more months shouldn't be a problem for the step-daughter. For my wife however, it would probably be more convenient to have an SSN now, so that we can do a joint bank account, start the process of getting her a local driver license, and getting health insurance on the ACA marketplace. Most of those tasks can probably be done without an SSN, but you may have to jump through some hoops to do so.

K1 is eligible for ssn during first 75 days after arrival.   K2 is NOT eligible until work authorized (EAD or green card).  SSA was correct 

YMMV

Timeline
On 4/18/2019 at 1:27 PM, payxibka said:

I-131 is a freebie.  I would reconsider

A- number is on NOA2

G-325A, No 

All forms assembled separately, include in same envelope, mailed to the same address 

Do I submit one lump payment for all the forms or all forms with separate checks?

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

Do I submit one lump payment for all the forms or all forms with separate checks?

Thanks

One check. 

I 131 is no fee

I 751 is no fee

I 485 fee plus biometrics in one check 

Timeline

Last one question:

When reading instructions under I-485 I see this:

Filing Form I-485 with Forms I-765 and I-131
If you properly file Form I-485 and pay the required fees, you may file Form I-765 and Form I-131 without paying
additional fees.
You may file these forms together, or if you choose to file Form I-765 or Form I-131 separately, you must
also submit a copy of your I-797C, Notice of Action, receipt as evidence that you filed and paid for Form I-485.

Does it means that all I have to pay for my documents is total of $1225 ($1140 + $85 I-485 and bio-metrics fees)???

Or do I have to still add $410 for form I-765?

Thank you!

42 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

Last one question:

When reading instructions under I-485 I see this:

Filing Form I-485 with Forms I-765 and I-131
If you properly file Form I-485 and pay the required fees, you may file Form I-765 and Form I-131 without paying
additional fees.
You may file these forms together, or if you choose to file Form I-765 or Form I-131 separately, you must
also submit a copy of your I-797C, Notice of Action, receipt as evidence that you filed and paid for Form I-485.

Does it means that all I have to pay for my documents is total of $1225 ($1140 + $85 I-485 and bio-metrics fees)???

Or do I have to still add $410 for form I-765?

Thank you!

You are correct, it is the $1225 payment. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.