Greenbaum

DECEMBER 2018 K-1 NOA2 ----> NVC

1,964 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello everyone, I hope you are well.

Friend @Greenbaum , I am still in administrative process in my process, but I checked 5 minutes ago in the CEAC and it says that the last update was yesterday although the status does not change yet. Do you know if this is a good sign to receive excellent approval news soon?

I remain attentive to your comments, thank you. :thumbs::help::dance:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hi! I'm traveling to the US next week, I can't belive it!! 😊

I would like to ask you guys: How was your experience at the US port of entry?, how long have you been with customs and which kind of questions they ask?, not sure when and who I'll have to give the closed envelope. 

Just want to be ready! @Greenbaum how was your experience?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
6 hours ago, Violax said:

1. How soon can I get the I-94 record online after the POE? Some said a week or more, some said the next day?

Anastasia got into LAX on March 11 and we had an I-94 online by March 13 (when we swung by the downtown San Diego office of the Social Security Administration after getting wedding rings). Her card was mailed less than two weeks later (tip: put the beneficiary's address as care of the petitioner so the post office doesn't get confused about sending mail to an unfamiliar person at your address and keep your card at the post office for almost a week like happened with us).

2. Have read so many posts recommending getting the SSN before marriage, so will it cause me any delay if I get married first then apply it with the AOS application?

It won't delay your AOS processing. However, it's often very useful to have an SSN (for setting up bank accounts, insurance, etc.), so it's recommended that you do it ASAP. And sometimes Social Security administration employees can be confused about your eligibility for an SSN if you do it after marriage, particularly if you change your name.

3. Anyone here also lives in LA and has already sent in the AOS application? How does the timeline look for you?

FYI - there are multiple LA area field offices (LA, LA County, Santa Ana/Orange County, San Fernando Valley, and San Bernardino), and at least the official processing times on the USCIS site are very different among them.

Go here https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/field-offices  and search by zip code to find out which one covers you.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

1 hour ago, Fernanda R Sanz said:

I would like to ask you guys: How was your experience at the US port of entry?, how long have you been with customs and which kind of questions they ask?, not sure when and who I'll have to give the closed envelope. 

As with my experience, my POE is in seattle WA i fall in line and the IO opened my packet brown envelope and ask my address to where I stay in US and contact num. He is at the same time typing in his computer. I did my boimetrics. 

He then explained to me to get married within 90 days and stamped my passport beside the US visa sticker

Im done. it took me about 30 mins or less

the officer was friendly.

4 hours ago, Alex&Vivi said:

Hello everyone, I hope you are well.

Friend @Greenbaum , I am still in administrative process in my process, but I checked 5 minutes ago in the CEAC and it says that the last update was yesterday although the status does not change yet. Do you know if this is a good sign to receive excellent approval news soon?

I remain attentive to your comments, thank you. :thumbs::help::dance:

You will be in the AP until your visa is issued. I count that as a good sign. The status is nothing that changes every hour or every day. Can it YES. Does it NO. Keep checking CEAC for current status reports.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

3 hours ago, Fernanda R Sanz said:

Just want to be ready! @Greenbaum how was your experience?  Just lovely.

You will deplane at your POE. You will follow the passenger's from your flight to immigration. There will be certain lines for immigrants so be on the look out for them. If you have any questions there are BP agents that can help. You will give your passport and your envelope to the immigration agent. Once he is through he will return your passport with stamps in them. Normal Operating Procedure. (NOP). It is not uncommon to be asked to step over into secondary processing, wait times are about 30 min to 1 hour. Your Mileage may vary. Once completed you go and get your luggage and then go through customs. Once complete with customs you take your bags to your onward flight if you have one, otherwise meet your fiancée and you are good to go.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline
4 hours ago, Fernanda R Sanz said:

All in all I guess it was OK, but...as a European professional women I found it unacceptable how I was treated during, I guess you call it, secondary. Talking here about no explanation, jaming me into a room (no offence, but with sketchy people) and keeping me there for an hour. Good I always carry my antybacterial spray. After an hour a surprisingly nice young IO returned my passport and congratulated me on a engagement. 

So yeah, bare in mind that IO are for some reason not relly explanatory. 

5 minutes ago, met said:

All in all I guess it was OK, but...as a European professional women I found it unacceptable how I was treated during, I guess you call it, secondary. Talking here about no explanation, jaming me into a room (no offence, but with sketchy people) and keeping me there for an hour. Good I always carry my antybacterial spray. After an hour a surprisingly nice young IO returned my passport and congratulated me on a engagement. 

So yeah, bare in mind that IO are for some reason not relly explanatory. 

🤔 is European professional women any higher than other nationality women that they should be treated differently at immigration ..Didn’t know that ... & I’m glad you had antibacterial spray as every one else in the secondary line was carrying some sort of bugs as they were not European 

Edited by ujones

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline
22 minutes ago, ujones said:

🤔 is European professional women any higher than other nationality women that they should be treated differently at immigration ..Didn’t know that ... & I’m glad you had antibacterial spray as every one else in the secondary line was carrying some sort of bugs as they were not European 

well yes, found it unacceptable that there was noone who was eager to answer my questions and informing me what is hapening now and how long it will take. i am used to be treated differently f.ex. by government workers. 

also have not once said that i think that eu women should be treated differently than other nationalities. simply said that from my european point of view it was unacceptable how i was treated.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline

Thanks everyone! All your experiences are reallt helpfull, now I can let my fiance know how long it's going to take the waiting and it makes me feel fine having an idea how it's going to be. 😊

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline
4 hours ago, DaveAndAnastasia said:

Anastasia got into LAX on March 11 and we had an I-94 online by March 13 (when we swung by the downtown San Diego office of the Social Security Administration after getting wedding rings). Her card was mailed less than two weeks later (tip: put the beneficiary's address as care of the petitioner so the post office doesn't get confused about sending mail to an unfamiliar person at your address and keep your card at the post office for almost a week like happened with us).

It won't delay your AOS processing. However, it's often very useful to have an SSN (for setting up bank accounts, insurance, etc.), so it's recommended that you do it ASAP. And sometimes Social Security administration employees can be confused about your eligibility for an SSN if you do it after marriage, particularly if you change your name.

FYI - there are multiple LA area field offices (LA, LA County, Santa Ana/Orange County, San Fernando Valley, and San Bernardino), and at least the official processing times on the USCIS site are very different among them.

Go here https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/field-offices  and search by zip code to find out which one covers you.

Thank you for your detailed answers and information!

Does it mean I should apply the AOS and SSN separately? It seems like I’ll get the SSN first then the GC, so I’ll have to go back to SSN office to change my name, correct? And if my fiancé added me to his insurance and the bank account before I get my GC, is it the same as the SSN, we should just have to call them and change my name to my married name? 

You're very helpful, thanks so much

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Violax said:

Does it mean I should apply the AOS and SSN separately? It seems like I’ll get the SSN first then the GC, so I’ll have to go back to SSN office to change my name, correct?

You'll have to go there again to get a new card after you get your GC (that won't have the 'valid for work only with DHS authorization' text on it). I think you should be able to get a card in your new name after your wedding but before the 90 days from your K-1 is up (or 76 days, because they want two weeks margin usually), but apparently lots of people have had difficulty with this. If you can't, you won't be able to until you get EAD or a GC.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline
4 minutes ago, DaveAndAnastasia said:

You'll have to go there again to get a new card after you get your GC (that won't have the 'valid for work only with DHS authorization' text on it). I think you should be able to get a card in your new name after your wedding but before the 90 days from your K-1 is up (or 76 days, because they want two weeks margin usually), but apparently lots of people have had difficulty with this. If you can't, you won't be able to until you get EAD or a GC.

Sorry I’m a little confused here...

let me straight my situation again,

We’ll get married on May 13th, then I’ll have to apply SSN(with the name on my passport) and AOS(with the name on my marriage certificate) separately. So my fiancé can use my SSN to add me to his bank and insurance, after I get my GC with my married name, I’ll have to go back to the SSN office, the bank and the insurance to change it. Is this correct steps?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey everyone! Moving on Sunday and couldn’t be more excited. Does anyone have a detailed order of things to do after entering the states or know of any good threads of people with advice on this? I have heard so many mixed things about social security numbers and the order of which to do everything after entering the states and it all seems quite overwhelming. Some things I am confused about are:

do I need an SSN to set up a bank account?

what documents do I need to bring to the office to apply for SSN?

after marriage do i need to get a new SSN with new name on it?

Is it worth while to apply for advanced parole or just wait until AOS is processed to come home and visit family?

some of these may be silly questions but we definitely don’t want to forget to do anything before moving! Thanks so much in advance 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.